U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2014, 03:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,847 times

Advertisements

So me and my friend just graduated OSU and are looking for a place to live. We found what appeared to be a perfect place-townhome with washer/dryer hookup, recent renovations, a basement, and a patio for $680 a month.

Well, as these things go, it may have been too good to be true. While the area around the rental office is nice, the actual place they intend for us to move into may not be so great. It is located at 62XX (this will get you close enough) Sunderland avenue. Driving through the area doesn't seem terrible, but not too great either. I can't get a good assessment of it, even after using this site and recent crime statistics.

I think it's technically in Northland, but I'm not too sure about the actual neighborhood name, so googling the address might give you a better idea. It's located very slightly east of the intersection of I-71 and Dublin-Grandville road. I don't care much if it's a boring area... but is it safe? If not, any suggestions where to move for a couple of recent grads?

Also, the apartment company is York Terrace North if anyone out there has some experience with them.

Last edited by Fillip124; 06-07-2014 at 04:37 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,847 times
Also, if you suggest we go elsewhere, our price range for apartments is 600-900 dollars. He works in Dublin, I work downtown, so North of OSU is preferable.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:25 PM

381 posts, read 593,274 times
It's on the edge of a declining area. It gets bad as you go south of 161 toward Tamarack Circle. Lots of crime in that area.

It might not be terrible, but you might want to consider going further north toward Schrock Rd. or west toward Worthington.

FYI - I think the far west side, out toward Roberts Rd./Hilliard-Rome seems to be overlooked. Fairly safe and convenient to downtown or Dublin.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:36 PM

27 posts, read 40,673 times
The neighborhood is called Devonshire and is a neighborhood that is located within the greater Northland area. It is near 71, Ambleside road, 161 and Karl road. You kind of hit the nail on the head with your original post, its not the worst area in Columbus by far but its not the best either. As another poster said it sits in somewhat of a declining area and there are better/safer places to live imo. With that said, I would recommend driving and walking around a bit, at different times of the day/night to get a feel for the area. Everyone has a different comfort level and if you like it and the price is right it may be a good fit for you. In my opinion its really not to bad, a mixed middle class neighborhood. Like I said the neighborhood as a whole isnt too bad, some decent residential streets and houses but the apartments tend to be not quite as nice, as many apartments around 161, they are either hit or miss. All depends on what your comfortable with and what your looking for, I know a number of people that have lived in the area for years with little to no problems. The problem spots are the knights inn motel that border the neighborhood, quite a bit of prostitution and drugs. The little plaza where amblemart is, the strip club and the little bushiness in the plaza, right at the corner of sunderland and ambleside tend attract a hood crowd and some of the apartments around there have been known to have problems, Devonshire commons, Sharon green, Karl village, Brookville etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
View detailed profiles of: