Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2008, 04:41 PM

122 posts, read 379,813 times

Advertisements

i live in frederick md now but grew up in columbus ohio and needs some opinions on both places, i want to move back to columbus but i heard the jobs arent there, maryland has jobs, lots of jobs and money but high cost of living please help real opinions please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 05:42 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,085,472 times
Having been to Maryland's outer suburbs of DC/Baltimore (a.k.a. Mt Airy) and Columbus, I'd hands down pick Columbus. Less traffic, better quality of life, cheaper goods, friendlier atmosphere, and growing. What's amazing about Columbus' growth is that it can be found both in the heart of the region (Short North) and in its outskirt suburbs. If you can find a job (which can vary in difficulty depending upon which field your are looking), I'd say make the move.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:46 PM

thanks but are the job opportunities better, maryland has jobbbbbbbbbbbbssss

Old 01-07-2008, 09:40 PM

119 posts, read 558,914 times
I'm not sure where you are getting your information but Columbus has plenty of jobs it just depends on what sector you are going into

Old 01-08-2008, 05:09 PM

what are some good job fields in columbus

Old 01-09-2008, 10:05 AM

2 posts, read 7,214 times
I live in Southern Md now and am getting ready to move to Englewood area. Cost of living here is out of control.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:38 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,085,472 times
This is pretty sketchy and off the top of my head. Education because of Ohio State. Healthcare, Insurance (Nationwide). Verizon had an office last time I was on I-270. I think Lucent has offices east of Columbus. Government since Columbus is the capital. Dayton, an hour away, hosts many Defense jobs because of Wright-Patt. That's just what I can think of right now. I'm sure there are others in the Columbus area that can be more detailed.

Last edited by wrightflyer; 01-09-2008 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 01-09-2008, 09:01 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,672,569 times
Columbus has a variety of white collar job sectors. Lots of retail jobs that depend upon the thriving corporate jobs and many jobs with the government.

Columbus has a wide variety of jobs. Other than some of the job sectors listed here, columbus' largest private sector employer is actually JP Morgan Chase.

Columbus also have Huntington Banks based here so there is a lot of banking jobs. About 14,000 people in Columbus work for JP Morgan because they bought Bank One which was once based here.

Obviously, we have lots of jobs at Abercrombie and Fitch corp. hq. and the Limited Corp. corp. hq which owns Victoria's Secret. Express clothing stores also has their corp. hq

Cardinal Health is one of the largest fortune 500 companies and is based in Dublin a Columbus suburb. They make and produce many of the prescription drugs that we take.
here.

Wendy's is based in a Columbus suburb. Hexion Speciality Chemical is here in the tech business and Battelle ( they invented Xerox) and now Battelle does many science oriented projects like designing new cars that are fuel efficent.

Columbus has a very strong dining and retail scene so if your not looking for the corp. type job then there are many options for those who did not graduate from college.

Columbus has Nationwide Insurance and Grange Insurance HQ here.

Columbus is also a logistics shipping hub. Columbus is the location of many companies few distrubution centers. GAP, Build a Bear, UPS, Victoria's Secret, Fed Ex, Budweiser, etc.. all have operations here.

Columbus' job market has growth but not extreme crazy growth. That already happened here in the 80s and 90s. Since 2001 Columbus has gained jobs but this isnt the best place in the US to move to if you do not have a job before you get here. Columbus has actually lost a few retail jobs since 2001 as the city was over retailed when 9/11 hit. However, there is still a massive number of jobs in Columbus and the odds are there is something here.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:37 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Columbus is home to numerous fortune 500 companies. The economy is growing and strong in Columbus. In the city and the suburbs, you are seeing growth all over.

Columbus's unemployment currently sits at 4.5%. Which is under the national average.

I couldn't find Fredericks, but Hagerstown, MD currently sits at 4%, and that is a much smaller metro.

Columbus has the jobs, and to be honest with the cost of living down there and then compare that to Columbus, I would look into moving back into Columbus. It just depends on what field you are in. Do some research, I am sure you can find something in Columbus that interests you. It is the 15th largest city in the country, soon to be 14th if current growth continues it will pass up San Francisco. I know there is something in Columbus, it is a large enough city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus