Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 07:14 PM

103 posts, read 200,400 times

Advertisements

I was laid off as a teacher in 2011. I never wanted to go back to teaching due to the low pay and constant lay offs.Teaching skills are not highly marketable in the business world---unless you're under 40. If you are young you can transfer those skills into corporate sales or trainer positions. Age discrimination is out there.

Yes, I can dream of getting a cushy sales job with a sales company with full benefits over age 40—but who will hire me and offer benefits? Not many companies.

I also thought of going into IT and working in tech support. I have some computer knowledge. IT offers a livable wage. But I am not sure about age discrimination in that field.

An IT temp agency will hire me to work contract jobs. It can get me experience to pursue a higher paying I.T tech support career but in a few years I will be 50 and they will be pushing me out the door because I am too old.
The best thing I am doing is strengthening my resume with a sales/customer service positions with low pay. I still feel like I am against the eight-ball with the younger competition.

If you cannot get hired by August 2015 by any employer with full benefits and salary than I will consider being being a flight attendant or truck driver because they do not have age discrimination. It seems I am being pushed into those fields.

Anyone else going through this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus