Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2015, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,185 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Columbus from Dallas, TX in about a month for a job in New Albany. I would like to stay in Columbus so that I can get to know the area and am looking at German Village, Merion Village and Old Towne East.

I am 28, female, just me and a cat. I tend to like to go for walks at night and would like somewhere that is relatively safe for that reason. I would also like to be near bars, restaurants, etc.

Also, if anyone has any information regarding the commute from Columbus (areas mentioned) to New Albany, that would be amazing!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 04:16 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,147,006 times
Grandview!

Old 07-19-2015, 08:40 PM

35 posts, read 41,222 times
If you are renting I would look for Clintonville, Arena District, Victorian Village. Old Towne East is improving but wouldn't recommend walking at night.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:22 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loflower View Post
I'll be moving to Columbus from Dallas, TX in about a month for a job in New Albany. I would like to stay in Columbus so that I can get to know the area and am looking at German Village, Merion Village and Old Towne East.

I am 28, female, just me and a cat. I tend to like to go for walks at night and would like somewhere that is relatively safe for that reason. I would also like to be near bars, restaurants, etc.

Also, if anyone has any information regarding the commute from Columbus (areas mentioned) to New Albany, that would be amazing!

Thanks!

When you visit German Village, note the condition of many of the walkways. Uneven bricks may pose a small hazard at night, especially when the bricks are wet. German Village also is not brightly lighted. Have you thought about a dog for night walks?

Old 07-20-2015, 08:06 AM

490 posts, read 864,351 times
As others have mentioned, the Grandview area would be perfect for you. There are a lot of bars and restaurants, it is safe, and if you want to go to more urban neighborhoods closer to downtown, it's a 5 or 10 minute drive. If you want to live closer to downtown, I would suggest getting an apartment in the Arena District or Victorian Village/Short North. You'll need your typical city smarts, but both neighborhoods are quite safe. German Village and Merion Village are great, but I'd be wary of straying too far from the core of those areas at night, particularly as you get closer to Parsons Avenue. Old Towne East is up-and-coming, but there are still very rough patches nearby, and walking at night alone would not be something you'd want to do.

As for the commute, New Albany is a northeast suburb, and as such, you'll be reverse commuting, so no worries there. Probably looking at about 25 minutes or so.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:51 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,250,585 times
They are replacing many of the bricks in GV as we speak.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbus76 View Post
As others have mentioned, the Grandview area would be perfect for you. There are a lot of bars and restaurants, it is safe, and if you want to go to more urban neighborhoods closer to downtown, it's a 5 or 10 minute drive. If you want to live closer to downtown, I would suggest getting an apartment in the Arena District or Victorian Village/Short North. You'll need your typical city smarts, but both neighborhoods are quite safe. German Village and Merion Village are great, but I'd be wary of straying too far from the core of those areas at night, particularly as you get closer to Parsons Avenue. Old Towne East is up-and-coming, but there are still very rough patches nearby, and walking at night alone would not be something you'd want to do.

As for the commute, New Albany is a northeast suburb, and as such, you'll be reverse commuting, so no worries there. Probably looking at about 25 minutes or so.
Grandview is also on I-670 which makes commuting to work easy.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:25 PM

801 posts, read 2,566,356 times
Grandview, up and down 5th Avenue, is really nice.

I don't know how easy it will be for you to find a rental in that area, especially long-distance. If you can live in temporary housing for 1-2 months it would be a lot easier for you to get to know Columbus and be selective about where you would like to live.

One other thought: you could live in New Albany... there are some newer developments that are designed with public squares, lots of sidewalks and walking paths. Check out LC communities in New Albany (I believe there is more than one, and I am not sure about the name of the one I am thinking of.) It is quiet (no commercial businesses except for one bar on LC property) and there is no traffic other than residents... which makes it really safe and enjoyable for nighttime walks.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:27 PM

801 posts, read 2,566,356 times
BTW commuting anywhere in Columbus is not fun

If you're still a little drowsy or not a morning person, it is kind of a shock to the system first thing in the morning, to merge onto an interstate where everyone is going 20 over the speed limit

Old 07-27-2015, 12:50 AM

Also check out Westerville (the Downtown area)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus