Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2015, 06:13 PM

35 posts, read 41,418 times

Advertisements

I'm fortunate enough to buy a home to move in and keeping my current house. I want to wait for couple years before selling it so the market will rise. If anyone has had experience as landlord any advice would be appreciated.

Things I can learn like the tax credit on rental repairs and maintenance, depreciated property, capital gain, etc.

What is the opinion on offering rent-to-own to tenants? I think it's lots of work and not flexible compare to renting directly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 10:35 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,699,610 times
Been a landlord for 4 years now and we rented out our own home for about a year also.

I do not recommend it honestly. If you do it, do background checks, make sure you verify all info they give you. Do a lease, give receipts, do not allow pets or smoking but theyll do it anyways.

We have a good CPA, id suggest you have one also unless your fairly up to date and know about taxes. Keep ALL reciepts that pertain to rental, every little thing, any repair cost, track all milage you use involving your rental. Keep mortgage records, utilities paid if any, and if you use your phone for rental purposes (ex. Calling, texting tenant or speaking with prospects ect) your able to deduct some/all of it. Theres many deductions you can use.

I would not do rent to own unless you know you can be very strict with payments. I know a guy who makes a lot offering that only because so many default and loose their money. Id advise just selling it.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
Been a landlord for 4 years now and we rented out our own home for about a year also.

I do not recommend it honestly. If you do it, do background checks, make sure you verify all info they give you. Do a lease, give receipts, do not allow pets or smoking but theyll do it anyways.

We have a good CPA, id suggest you have one also unless your fairly up to date and know about taxes. Keep ALL reciepts that pertain to rental, every little thing, any repair cost, track all milage you use involving your rental. Keep mortgage records, utilities paid if any, and if you use your phone for rental purposes (ex. Calling, texting tenant or speaking with prospects ect) your able to deduct some/all of it. Theres many deductions you can use.

I would not do rent to own unless you know you can be very strict with payments. I know a guy who makes a lot offering that only because so many default and loose their money. Id advise just selling it.
My neighbor's son and his family (wife and 3 kids) currently live next door I know them for 14 years. He is on bankruptcy until 2018 but I never seen him out of work in all those years. He has a dog I'm not too worried about it since my dog has done more damage to my floor.

My thing is that if I can just wait 2 more years when the market goes up, I can mostly to gain another 5-10k when selling it then. And with the rent I will be collecting minus the potential repair cost I will be able to use it to do update and fix things up before I sell it.

So I don't know I have about 3 months to make a decision. How much does your CPA charge you?

Old 08-06-2015, 04:49 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,159,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candle16 View Post
My neighbor's son and his family (wife and 3 kids) currently live next door I know them for 14 years. He is on bankruptcy until 2018 but I never seen him out of work in all those years. He has a dog I'm not too worried about it since my dog has done more damage to my floor.

My thing is that if I can just wait 2 more years when the market goes up, I can mostly to gain another 5-10k when selling it then. And with the rent I will be collecting minus the potential repair cost I will be able to use it to do update and fix things up before I sell it.

So I don't know I have about 3 months to make a decision. How much does your CPA charge you?
Whether I would go into the rental business or not depends on where the house is. I generally do not like the idea of renters tearing up a residential home, though.

That $10,000 which you "might" get (which is speculative) will get eaten up in real estate commission. The Columbus housing market is smokin'--if the house is in an area where the prices aren't up yet, chances are they aren't going to go up in a few years either.

Sell it to them on a land contract, but get a big nonrefundable down payment from them. Let's say $5,000 maybe.

Land contracts are great in this situation since you know and trust these people.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:06 PM

My neighbors are good keeping up with the rent I talked to their ex landlord and they always left their places clean and in good shape. They just don't have lots of savings so I don't think the land contract will work out. I think I would probably just rent to them for a few years right now I don't have the extra savings to do some remodeling. As long as they keep up with rent which is little more than my mortgage on that house (and I only have 12k left on that anyway) I think I might as well wait a few years before putting it on market.

Because after about a year I will have no balance on that home and they are willing to buy it from me once their bankruptcy is final in 2018.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:50 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,159,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candle16 View Post
My neighbors are good keeping up with the rent I talked to their ex landlord and they always left their places clean and in good shape. They just don't have lots of savings so I don't think the land contract will work out. I think I would probably just rent to them for a few years right now I don't have the extra savings to do some remodeling. As long as they keep up with rent which is little more than my mortgage on that house (and I only have 12k left on that anyway) I think I might as well wait a few years before putting it on market.

Because after about a year I will have no balance on that home and they are willing to buy it from me once their bankruptcy is final in 2018.
Renting is a business, and you should run it like one. The other advantage of a land contract is that you have no responsibility to make repairs or do anything a landlord would have to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus