Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 08:58 PM

110 posts, read 148,184 times

Advertisements

According to time magazine. We have lots to do and robust job growth 9.3% through the end of the decade. Also we are stated as very walkable

These Are the Best Cities for Millennials

Old 10-03-2015, 04:27 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,385,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Velcoro View Post
According to time magazine. We have lots to do and robust job growth 9.3% through the end of the decade. Also we are stated as very walkable

These Are the Best Cities for Millennials
Walkable? Really?

Old 10-03-2015, 04:49 AM

114 posts, read 125,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Walkable? Really?
Yes.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:06 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,385,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logongst View Post
Yes.
Unless I'm in the campus, short north, arena district or German village, Columbus has to be one of the least walkable cities we visit. You definitely need a car if you are not staying in the immediate areas I mentioned.
It would be great to see cbus with some streetcar or brt line on high street.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:13 PM

189 posts, read 400,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Unless I'm in the campus, short north, arena district or German village, Columbus has to be one of the least walkable cities we visit. You definitely need a car if you are not staying in the immediate areas I mentioned.
It would be great to see cbus with some streetcar or brt line on high street.
Agreed, the city becomes exponentially less walkable the farther you get from High Street.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:52 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,434,824 times
Clearly, the job growth and affordability are what placed it on that list, but they're clearly giving each of these qualities much too much weight; millennials are all about going to where they want to live first and foremost and then worry about jobs and affordability after. Portland is a notorious example of this trend and I myself being in the 20-34 year old range (now barely) moved to a city for its high urban quality of life offering lots to do with lots of walkability, bikeability, and, more often than not, reliable mass transit city-wide. I want my third wave coffee shops, quirky bars, local markets, cheap eats from around the world, and divey rock clubs. I don't want to have to live like a suburbanite and drive everywhere and have to dodge people speeding everywhere on foot or bike: nuts to that. Not to mention the fact they cited a Dispatch article which mentions a study of 30 US metros where Columbus placed "in the middle of the pack". In other words, among a list of largely pedestrian-hostile cities and a small number of walkable ones placing in the middle is not a good thing. Also, the fact that Atlanta, a poster child for drab sprawl, had placed in the top five also immediately discredits any merit to this ranking.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:14 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,122,206 times
God forbid the Legion of Gloom allows Columbus to be given credit for anything positive.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:45 PM

110 posts, read 148,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
Clearly, the job growth and affordability are what placed it on that list, but they're clearly giving each of these qualities much too much weight; millennials are all about going to where they want to live first and foremost and then worry about jobs and affordability after. Portland is a notorious example of this trend and I myself being in the 20-34 year old range (now barely) moved to a city for its high urban quality of life offering lots to do with lots of walkability, bikeability, and, more often than not, reliable mass transit city-wide. I want my third wave coffee shops, quirky bars, local markets, cheap eats from around the world, and divey rock clubs. I don't want to have to live like a suburbanite and drive everywhere and have to dodge people speeding everywhere on foot or bike: nuts to that. Not to mention the fact they cited a Dispatch article which mentions a study of 30 US metros where Columbus placed "in the middle of the pack". In other words, among a list of largely pedestrian-hostile cities and a small number of walkable ones placing in the middle is not a good thing. Also, the fact that Atlanta, a poster child for drab sprawl, had placed in the top five also immediately discredits any merit to this ranking.
So did your city even rank?

Old 10-04-2015, 04:46 AM

14,727 posts, read 14,713,631 times
The proof is in the numbers...chew on it, haters.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:32 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,919,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
Clearly, the job growth and affordability are what placed it on that list, but they're clearly giving each of these qualities much too much weight; millennials are all about going to where they want to live first and foremost and then worry about jobs and affordability after.
Yeah, you know when the best picks on your list are Seattle (only really doable for millennials if you have a great job) and Austin (good pick as long as you don't have to drive) you're in trouble.

I've lived in Portland, Pittsburgh, and Asheville, which all could have made the list as millennial destinations. Looked into Minneapolis after rejecting Austin & Denver, which should come up in millennial lists.

Savannah, Charleston, and Athens would probably make the list of smaller areas around these parts as well.

Also I lived in Columbus and I'd pick Minneapolis or Pittsburgh long before I'd pick Columbus. Louisville is probably going to get hot as an alternative to someplace like Columbus as well.

Hell, even Nashville looks like better choice than Atlanta from the millennial standpoint and it's more like a Columbus type pick.

Obviously they didn't talk to me because my 5 picks list at the moment looks like this:

- Richmond
- Providence
- Tacoma
- Sacramento
- Milwaukee

Maybe throw in Buffalo and Montreal (if I could ever figure out how to make moving to Canada work without it being a huge headache).

Only way you're getting me back to Columbus is if I start missing my old friends and want to be closer to family.

You want lists Columbus would top or do well in make a list for places that are easy to get around for drivers, low COL cities, jobs, cities that have a good score all around, and cities dominated by college football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus