Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 11:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,087 times

Advertisements

I will soon be relocating to Ohio (perhaps around Renoldsburg and am looking forward to getting involved in local activities. I am physically fit and over 50 and hope to find great friendships and activities with others in the area. Can you provide any suggestions?

Last edited by Okisun; 01-20-2008 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: Remove embarassed face. I thought it was smiling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 06:31 PM

3 posts, read 11,101 times
Wink Over 50 then some

Hi I live in licking co. but joined the senior center in Reyn. it has so much to offer, over 2,000 members, all friendly, they take trips around Ohio, and a good center to enjoy yourself.
You will also be close enough to Cols downtown to enjoy the goings on.. Don't forget the library, you can join groups there, ask around for different org. to check out..
Good luck, p.s. may see you around there ..lol

Old 02-03-2008, 10:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,114 times
Take the by-pass and keep on going.
Everyone I talk to says that Columbus, Ohio has went to the pits in the past 20 years.
To do anything in this town, you have to have a hundred dollar bill in your pocket to spend. The local University (OSU) has the same academic rating as a Community College and it is comparable to a town's local "High School" because everybody cheers it on and if you don't, the towns people will threaten you. As far as the Capitol Of The Great State of Ohio goes, forget it. No one in this town gives a crap about politics. There is a very strong Gay community in Columbus and that is probally the best thing this little town has to offer, that is, if that is your thing. This town is basically an island of its own. The culture here has little if any comprehension of what goes on in the world outside the county. The people here don't even know what is going on in other parts of the state. The majority of the culture her migrated from West Virginia and commute back to West Virginia on the weekend (You wouldn't believe the miles and miles of traffice heading back to West Virginia on Friday evening). Then, the only pleace these people go for vacation is Florida.

So, if I was you, I'd take the by-pass around Columbus and head to Florida. Why bother with Columbus? Unless, if you are Gay. I heard that they have a great Gay community here.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:50 AM

167 posts, read 557,625 times
This is such a depressing view of Columbus... I grew up there and am actually considering relocating back after being in LA for over 20 years. This is not how I see it when I visit, but truthfully I really don't know. Comments like this scare me a little. Ugh.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:47 AM

20 posts, read 74,702 times
wow... that comment above is the most biased, misinformed, unhelpful thing I've read in a while.... I'd say the user was either have a terrible day, or really wants to get a rise out of people....

and FarewellLA- my daughter lives there, likes it, but still misses the midwest.... Columbus is a great place to live.

If you are coming to the Reynoldsburg area, be sure to visit Blacklick park- good for biking, walking trails, nature, etc......

Old 02-05-2008, 10:09 AM

26 posts, read 110,464 times
I am considering moving to columbus from Las Vegas. i have done so much research and have been reading so many things about the city that totally contradict what fromtheUSA is saying. Columbus sounds like a great place to live. I love the idea that it has such a large gay community, it shows that its progressive and not judgemental. As far as the bucks go? Live in a city with NO sports teams and you'll realize the large role that plays in creating a sense of community.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:16 PM

howdy to Ohiosinmyblood.... I've lived here 25 years, am open minded, love new ideas and new people, and have never regretted the time I have spent here. And wait till you see how much more house you can get for your money in Columbus vs. Las Vegas....

Old 02-05-2008, 01:50 PM

26 posts, read 110,464 times
Oh, believe me I have been looking! I spend at least an hour a day on the real estate websites looking at every house, all the photos etc. I am glad to hear that you like it in columbus. What town do you live in? What are some nice towns around there?

Old 02-05-2008, 01:57 PM

I live in the Powell area north of Columbus, and work all over the city. By 'towns' are you interested in outside the Columbus central area? My first thought within Columbus is both Clintonville and Grandview.... Powell is great if you like the suburb feel, and Gahanna is making a big push to be more 'cool'.... the downtown condo scene has flattened a bit, but there are some good deals there.....

Old 02-16-2008, 08:02 AM

3 posts, read 11,101 times
Talking Renyoldsburg vs.Licking co

Wow, don't tempt me to sell our home now.lol..we have 8ac.1/2 ac.lake in front. large home,barn,fruit trees,nut trees..too much for us to keep up. But we love being on dead end paved road.. we will sell in next two years, this is great for kids, ours are grown..the deer prance the front yard at night. The rope swing in a tree, and porch swing out front. Garden plot, hawks in the trees. It's home, it's licking co. 5min. from I 70. There are other places like this, keep looking, somethings out there for everyone, take your time. and good luck/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus