Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,564 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I work in Lancaster (currently live in Pickerington). I'm looking to move into a different -and hopefully smaller- school district as my son starts Kindergarten next year. Any thoughts on Bexley and/or Granville Schools, and also the communities? I know Bexley is surrounded by seriously depressed areas, so I worry about safety...

If all else fails, private or parochial school is a consideration for us too. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 02:42 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,082,382 times
First and foremost, what is your budget? I'm assuming it is going to be over 200K, since both locations can be on the higher side. I'm thinking easily for a move-in ready home to see over $250-300K. Not to say you can't find something under that. It will just either go quickly, be sold as-is or need a lot of work/updates. Granville Exempted Village Schools as of now has 86 properties on the MLS. About 2/3 are north of 161 and 1/3 are south. More may come online as summer moving season gets closer.

Bexley will have homes cheaper than Granville, perhaps? But again, they will be smaller, need work and may be on edges closer to parts of Columbus that are not as reflective (think spot shined) as Bexley. Bexley also has fewer homes now on the MLS. 50 are listed inside Bexley City Schools. Easily three quarters or more of those listings will be north of $250-300K. There will most certainly be more listings coming online as summer moving season approaches.

You'll find more diversity in offerings in Granville. Small village life, near a respected liberal arts institution, coupled with exurban (for Newark and by extension, Columbus) and rural life can be found in Granville's school district. If you need space, the answer is easy. If you want urban or inner-ring street car suburb, the answer is easy again. If you are flexible, then you have the option.

Traffic times and commutes.

Looking at Google Maps at 4:30, Lancaster to Granville is about 36 minutes. I'd say add 5 or 10 if leaving around 5:00 and maybe a little more if bad weather. My concern would be how well the jurisdictions along OH-37 remove the snow. Blowing snow, especially with winds out of the west or northwest, could cause issues as it is mostly two-lane state "country" road. It sits at 25-26 miles from center to center. Keep in mind the school district extends well south of OH-161, so this could be shorter (or longer).

For Bexley, at 4:30, you're looking at least a 40 minute commute. The good news is you will be going against much of the grind that is US-33 going in towards downtown in the morning and vice versa in the afternoon. You'll continue to have those lights, however. Snow removal on US-33 would probably be a higher priority and offer less blowing snow obstacles than OH-37. It sits at 29-30 miles from center to center. Depending on where in Lancaster you are, this will probably be consistent less bad weather or an accident, the latter a higher concern with a commute inside or near the outer-belt.

Granville isn't as remote as it may seem. Newark offers much of the basic needed shopping you'll come across everyday. And with OH-161 being limited-access expressway all the way to the outer-belt, you can do your mall/Christmas shopping at Easton without schlepping back roads for an hour. But if amenities are what you want, Bexley would be where you need to end up. The offering of more activities for kids within Columbus metro itself should also be considered. Think club sports, educational activities, etc.

Hope this helps! Either way, it should be a good move.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:17 PM

259 posts, read 428,292 times
Depending on your price range, you may also want to consider Grandview. Their school district is very small and well regarded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus