Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 08:16 AM

15 posts, read 27,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlek View Post
I've heard wonderful things about Annehurst. It's actually in the western part of Westerville so very close to Worthington. They have a fabulous neighborhood elementary, their own wonderful park (Metzger Park) and their own community pool, which is rare for Westerville since most folks use the larger Highland's Pool owned by the city of Westerville. It's full of charming 1960s homes and I hear it has a more "crunchy" vibe reminiscent of Clintonville than other parts of Westerville. Parts of it are within walking distance to Uptown Westerville and Otterbein University (the historic downtown) It's also in your price range. This cute house there just popped up: 148 Millfield Avenue, Westerville, OH 43081 | MLS 216012799 | Listing Information | HER Realtors Columbus, Cincinnati, & Dayton Ohio Real Estate

We live in the northern Genoa Township portion of Westerville (43082 zip as opposed to 43081 for the city of Westerville) in a neighborhood that connects to the large Sherbrook area, and we like it a lot. We can walk to my daughter's school (Alcott) and Central High School is also in the neighborhood as well as a nice park. It is less cozy feeling than a neighborhood like Annehurst because it is newer, has fewer trees, etc. It's also a bit pricier. 3 bed homes here are selling for the $250,000s and larger homes are anywhere from that up to $320,000.

I know a lot of people in the Spring Grove neighborhood and they like it. All of the elementary schools in Westerville are neighborhood schools, and most neighborhoods are connected to the walking/biking paths and parks. With your budget I would stay north of Schrock Rd and avoid areas that are technically city of Columbus but Westerville schools. Those areas don't seem as appealing if you can afford over $200,000.
Thank you! This is really helpful. I'll have to take a look at that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 03:41 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,096,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith02474 View Post
Yeah, good point. We work downtown, so that's probably best. I'm having a hard time finding good subdivisions in Hilliard. Any that you recommend looking at (or areas to absolutely avoid)?
Here's a good indication of the Hilliard real estate market based on the school district's overall boundaries. This site allows users to input the district and it will find the homes in that district's borders (as opposed to just city or township, where as many Columbusites know, borders don't always run the same).

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...-city-schools/

Just play with the search parameters to narrow or broaden the search.

In some cases, it can even be broken down by individual schools. This, I've found, tends to work well at the high school zoning level. Alas, Hilliard is one of the few multi-HS districts that doesn't allow for that on this site. Dublin and Westerville do have their respective high schools' listed with corresponding boundaries.

As far as neighborhoods, its more areas that I don't personally like (for various reasons, mostly resale and sprawl-ness), I prefer Hilliard's neighborhoods inside the outerbelt, between I-270 and the river. Almost all the neighborhoods between Fishinger (on the south) and Hayden Run (on the north) attend Hilliard Schools. Some are older (think 1950's and 60's development) and some newer. The older ones may not have sidewalks, but the limited traffic flow back on some of those streets, plus their larger lawns make up for that. In the northern end, there are newer (think late 80's / early 90's) builds with sidewalks, though lots are smaller.

3808 Secretariat Court
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_11609650/

And

3747 Fox Hunt Trail
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...l/pid_3017775/

come to mind.

Generally, for Hilliard Schools, the development stops on the west at Alton-Darby Creek Road, though I'm sure that boundary will push even further west with time. The district spans all the way to the western boundary of Franklin County and stretches across a lot of farm land. There are some areas of Hilliard that are south of I-70 (west of Doherty and north of the major rail line out to the county border). I'd generally stay north of Roberts, as there are pockets south that are warehouse/light industry. Also, it is more commercial in nature. I'd say between Roberts Road on the south and Hayden Run on the north, you'll find some options outside the I-270 outerbelt.

For example:

5822 Dena Drive
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_10607585/

Hilliard Schools actually stretch north of Hayden into the Dublin city limits. Much, if not all, of the Ballantrae attends Hilliard Schools. However, it is a rather expensive part of the Hilliard School District with Dublin taxes to boot.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:31 PM

259 posts, read 429,872 times
For the Worthington School district, I would suggest Worthington Estates, Brookside Estates and Worthington Hills.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:04 AM

240 posts, read 955,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith02474 View Post
Yeah, good point. We work downtown, so that's probably best. I'm having a hard time finding good subdivisions in Hilliard. Any that you recommend looking at (or areas to absolutely avoid)?
If you're looking for low-ish 200's in Hilliard, you might try Brookfield Village or Hyde Park. Each has some homes that go into the mid-upper 200's at times, but you should be able to find something between 200-230K. Good community feel in both. Personally, I'd opt for BV over HP, because of the elementary school that BV is assigned to.

Wrightflyer is correct in drawing distinctions between Hilliard and Lewis Center. Olentangy schools are among the best in the state of Ohio. Hilliard schools are very good, but Olentangy schools would get a slight nod. That said, Lewis Center has very little community feel. It is really just a collection of subdivisions and retail (albeit very nice, upscale retail) that has been assigned a ZIP Code. Powell has a good community feel, but I don't think you're going to find much between 200-230K.

Hilliard has put a lot of effort into revitalizing the old town core ("Old Hilliard") and there are still improvements happening. Looks and feels distinctly different ("better") than 15 years ago.

Last edited by bgfalcons86; 05-15-2016 at 10:14 AM..

Old 05-20-2016, 01:11 PM

Default Addl thoughts on Hilliard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgfalcons86 View Post
If you're looking for low-ish 200's in Hilliard, you might try Brookfield Village or Hyde Park. Each has some homes that go into the mid-upper 200's at times, but you should be able to find something between 200-230K. Good community feel in both. Personally, I'd opt for BV over HP, because of the elementary school that BV is assigned to.
Thanks - that's helpful. Do you know if either neighborhood has a park/playground within it? Or an active HOA?

And on the school front - it seems like we should avoid Britton Elementary based on rankings. (Which is unfortunate since I see a lot of houses in that area!). Any other ones to avoid?

Old 05-22-2016, 05:22 PM

240 posts, read 955,512 times
Both neighborhoods have an HOA. There is a park (Tinapple Park) that sits adjacent/between the two neighborhoods. Slight nod to BV over HP, as Scioto Darby Elementary rates consistently a bit above Hilliard Crossing Elementary. BV also is a little larger than HP and may have more homes for sale. Three other neighborhoods in the area are Wynneoak, Sutton Place and Westbriar. Wynneoak and Sutton Place feed into Scioto Darby Elementary and Westbriar feeds into Darby Creek Elementary, which is very good.

Another option might be Westbrooke, as there are homes within the price range you're looking at. Personally, I prefer Brookfield Village over Westbrooke. **Point of caution if you decide to look in Westbrooke...** While most of the neighborhood feeds into Darby Creek Elementary, there is a small portion of the neighborhood assigned to Columbus City Schools.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:22 AM

Default Hilliard feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgfalcons86 View Post
**Point of caution if you decide to look in Westbrooke...** While most of the neighborhood feeds into Darby Creek Elementary, there is a small portion of the neighborhood assigned to Columbus City Schools.
Good to know! We've been looking at this neighborhood, so I'm glad you mentioned it. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus