Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2016, 07:34 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,143,440 times

Advertisements

I saw a Union 76 Station on the south side of Baltimore, Ohio today on Ohio 158. Looks like Union 76 is making a comeback?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEwYx5U0zkM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 12:37 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,848 times
Interesting. I thought they were mainly out west. Might be a former Sunoco Station. Many of those have been disappearing. I've seen one in the Dayton area re-branded as Shell, which has been doing a big remodel of its True North convenience stores lately.

Speedway and Marathon (which owns Speedway) are still the largest players by far in much of South and Central Ohio. BP is still big though with Duke/Duchess Shops and Shell, again with True North. Don't see too many Mobil's, though a few Exxon's in more rural areas off the interstates. Mobil was more common when they used to anchor the UDF stores with gas stations. Now UDF just brands the gas as UDF. Then you have your Wal Mart/Murphy Expresses, Giant Eagle Get Go, Kroger/Turkey Hill and Sams/Costco member-only stations.

On a side note, I remember meeting someone from out west in the Atlanta area who had never seen a or heard of BP gas stations. That was surprising.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:10 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,143,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Interesting. I thought they were mainly out west. Might be a former Sunoco Station. Many of those have been disappearing. I've seen one in the Dayton area re-branded as Shell, which has been doing a big remodel of its True North convenience stores lately.

Speedway and Marathon (which owns Speedway) are still the largest players by far in much of South and Central Ohio. BP is still big though with Duke/Duchess Shops and Shell, again with True North. Don't see too many Mobil's, though a few Exxon's in more rural areas off the interstates. Mobil was more common when they used to anchor the UDF stores with gas stations. Now UDF just brands the gas as UDF. Then you have your Wal Mart/Murphy Expresses, Giant Eagle Get Go, Kroger/Turkey Hill and Sams/Costco member-only stations.

On a side note, I remember meeting someone from out west in the Atlanta area who had never seen a or heard of BP gas stations. That was surprising.
Giant Eagle/Get Go gets their gasoline from the Sunoco terminals. BP has stations in the West, but they stayed with Arco name there. They sold off the stations in Southern California and Arizona but retain the stations in Northern California, Oregon and Washington. They are still called Arco. They really should bring back the Sohio brand, IMO. It would be very popular here.

There are a handful of Mobils here, but most of them are in second-tier locations. I always thought of Mobil as a fancier brand, like Shell. But I guess that was in the old days when they had stations that were nicer than everybody else. Shell/True North stations still look pretty good, though, although they've also signed up a couple of crummy independent stations. Exxon is stronger in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, the Mid-Atlantic states and in the South; Mobil is stronger in New York, Florida, California and the Great Lakes.

I noticed recently on their website that if you want information about their gas stations regardless of brand, you go to Exxon.com. Mobil.com takes you to a page that is semi dead. They don't sell Exxon or Esso Oil anymore, only Mobil Oil. Maybe what this means is that Exxon is going to be their gas brand and Mobil their brand for oil?

On another note, Esso may be making a comeback, which makes all the sense in the world. It looks like ExxonMobil paid BP for the right to use Esso in BP's old Standard Oil territory and a court rubber stamped the agreement (based on the old Standard Oil restrictons). I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have another agreement with Chevron that didn't have to go through the courts. Esso is a great brand that should be used worldwide. I wouldn't be surprised if the Exxon and Mobil stations didn't all become Esso stations within a pretty short period of time.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ite:law360.com

Old 05-27-2016, 09:35 AM

490 posts, read 863,148 times
It was Sohio for many Ohioans growing up. They were bought out by BP in the early 90's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVOJ2RqNYzg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
View detailed profiles of: