Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 08:20 AM

4 posts, read 3,659 times

Advertisements

Background:
Newlyweds and relocating from San Diego/Chicago. We're in our mid-30's with 2 big dogs that love the yard. We eventually want to have kids but that won't be for a few more years. I work in the Polaris area and she will be looking for a nursing job. The commute isn't that much of a concern since we're used to California and Chicago traffic and we both have cars. A little more about ourselves, we love to eat, we love to workout and take the dogs out. We're currently renting in the hilliard/dublin area.

The reason for this post is because it would seem there are many great neighborhoods that many people recommend. We were hoping that the experts on this site might be able to point us in a better direction.

Requirements:
-2+bed
-2+bath
-1400sqf+
-Basement
-2+garage
-Yard
-Low crime

-Good schools (since we don't have kids yet this isn't a pressing need, but if we would have to move then the house should be able to sell quickly)
-Lower taxes
-Walkable (we've never had this yet and would love to experience it!)
-Access to late night eats

Budget:
Max of 350k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 01:46 PM

90 posts, read 110,938 times
The "old(e)" downtown sections of Dublin, Worthington, and Westerville would probably be your best bet as far as walkable + good schools + larger yard. Possibly, also worth considering the Clintonville neighborhood in Columbus proper - great elementary schools, only "good" middle/high school, but still very in demand and would sell quickly if need be.

All of these areas have low crime and are very family friendly. Clintonville is probably the best in terms of late night eats, walkability, and lower taxes. Dublin and Worthington are probably the best in terms of schools.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:40 AM

Thank you for your feedback!

We were looking at Dublin, Worthington and Westerville but we were missing Clintonville. We'll definitely add it to our list.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:08 PM

61 posts, read 80,988 times
Clintonville "good" school? More like BAD school. Columbus Public? I don't think so tim.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:40 PM

90 posts, read 110,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDqTX View Post
Clintonville "good" school? More like BAD school. Columbus Public? I don't think so tim.
Clinton Elementary is in the top 10 public schools for the entire state of Ohio.

Indian Springs, Dominion, and Whetstone are also fairly good with strong community engagement and support. It's a tremendous disservice to write off Clintonville based solely on bias against CPS. Much of the district is bad, but the lottery options and Clintonville area pathway schools are standouts.

There is a reason Clintonville is consistently one of the fastest selling and most popular neighborhoods for young families.

More information on school options in the area can be found here as well, Clintonville Go Public

Old 06-21-2016, 05:04 PM

64 posts, read 123,356 times
As someone who lived in Clintonville for 8 years and moved to Westerville (which I love!), I'd say Clintonville all the way since you don't yet have kids and schools really aren't an issue. Like a previous poster said, the schools in Clintonville are good, though CPS seems to be mired in controversy (fiscal usually) at any given point in time. If one day you decide to move, you'll have no problem selling. We sold our house in 3 days two years ago when the market wasn't even quite as crazy as it is now. While I do really, really love Westerville, it is definitely more family-oriented and suburban than Clintonville, and unless you buy right in Uptown (where the lovely historic homes are hard to come by), most of your neighbors will be 30 and 40-somethings with kids or older empty nesters. You won't find as many child free couples to hang out with as you would in C-ville and while Uptown is very charming and has a local brewery, a few good restaurants (North Star cafe's progress is coming along at a snail's pace) and some wine bars, it's not the same kind of nightlife you'll find in Clintonville. Plus Clintonville is so much closer to downtown/Short North and all the fun places they have to offer. If you buy in the Beechwold area of Clintonville you can get a HUGE yard for those doggies. You'll want to search zip codes 43202 (south Clintonville) and 43214 (central/north Clintonville and Beechwold) if you're doing online home searches.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:47 PM

61 posts, read 80,988 times
Top 10 in the state? LOL

Uhhhh, I'd send my kid to any of the Dublin, Olentangy, Grandview, Bexley, Upper Arlington, New Albany, Worthington, or Pickerington (so about 70 elementaries) over Clinton every single time, and I'm a teacher. Those state ratings are a complete joke. Get with it.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:31 AM

Thank you everyone for your time and input!

So it's settled, Clintonville it is! Carlek - thank you for your insight. Your description was very helpful and the zip codes will help us do our online searches.

Also, what I'm hearing is to move out before the kids get into middle school at the latest. Point taken. At least we'll have fun and save up for those pesky taxes in the meantime

Old 06-22-2016, 03:03 PM

35 posts, read 83,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDqTX View Post
Top 10 in the state? LOL

Uhhhh, I'd send my kid to any of the Dublin, Olentangy, Grandview, Bexley, Upper Arlington, New Albany, Worthington, or Pickerington (so about 70 elementaries) over Clinton every single time, and I'm a teacher. Those state ratings are a complete joke. Get with it.
^^ This is baloney. Clinton ES is absolutely one of the best in Franklin County. Great teachers and great kids.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:09 PM

35 posts, read 83,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoppingspree View Post
Thank you everyone for your time and input!

So it's settled, Clintonville it is! Carlek - thank you for your insight. Your description was very helpful and the zip codes will help us do our online searches.

Also, what I'm hearing is to move out before the kids get into middle school at the latest. Point taken. At least we'll have fun and save up for those pesky taxes in the meantime
You might also want to check the Columbus City Schools attendance maps -- Clintonville is currently served by three elementary schools (Clinton, Indian Springs, and Colerain). They're all commendable, but you'll want to get a flavor for each and know which attendance area you're choosing based on where you're buying, if you plan to utilize the public elementary schools. That said, at some point in the future, they're going to reopen Glenmont ES and alter the attendance boundaries in cville to alleviate crowding at Clinton, which has become very popular recently. There is also a lottery k through 8 school in Clintonville called Indianola Informal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus