Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2007, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 4,735 times

Advertisements

My partner and I have young children and are looking to move to the Columbus area. We are middle-class professionals interested in a friendly, family-oriented community that is accepting and affordable. We would like to be able to buy a 4 bedroom home around 175,000. We would like good public schools and some diversity. We liked Grandview Heights but it is a little out of our price-range. I work southeast downtown. Do you think Gahanna would be a good fit or other suggestions? Any honest feedback would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 9,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Momswithkids View Post
My partner and I have young children and are looking to move to the Columbus area. We are middle-class professionals interested in a friendly, family-oriented community that is accepting and affordable. We would like to be able to buy a 4 bedroom home around 175,000. We would like good public schools and some diversity. We liked Grandview Heights but it is a little out of our price-range. I work southeast downtown. Do you think Gahanna would be a good fit or other suggestions? Any honest feedback would be much appreciated.

My partner and I are planning the same move and wanted some info on Gahanna so if you should get some let me know. I lived in Columbus before a while ago and have regretted leaving ever since. I meant my partner and we started our life together and now we need a change a scenery.
So if anyone has any info please let both couples have it!!!!!!

Old 12-12-2007, 12:50 PM

51 posts, read 180,435 times
I live in New Albany now but was in Gahanna for the first year that I was here. I grew up in San Diego and have spent time in Wash DC area as well. I'm married to a man so I don't know about that particular part of your issue, but I can say that Gahanna overall seems to be more accepting of diversity then New Albany for sure. But the suburbs in Columbus in general, are pretty cookie-cutter and less accepting of diversity.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:06 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,674,533 times
Quote:
But the suburbs in Columbus in general, are pretty cookie-cutter and less accepting of diversity.
Yes this is true. Of all the suburbs, the ones INSIDE the outerbelt, 270, are known for being more liberal.

The most liberal, and also very very nice, is Grandview Heights located just west of downtown and next to the nicest urban neighborhoods in Columbus.

Then Bexley is also known for being fairly socially liberal. It is located east of downtown.

Worthington is pretty down to earth and has decently accepting elements.

Of course, the the most accepting areas of the metro are the areas of Columbus city.

For families the Clintonville and Beechwold neighborhoods (just north of Ohio State University) have good Columbus City Schools and is a very nice, open-minded neighborhood.

NW columbus (just on the other side of the river from Clintonville) neighborhoods also have good city schools and neighborhoods. Some sections of NW columbus attend suburban worthington and Dublin schools as well.

Now if your set on living in Gahanna you should be fine. Gahanna is a east side suburb.

The SW and west suburbs/townships are the most conservative, socially, sections of the metro. I would not recommend moving there, in your situation. They include Galloway, Hilliard, Grove City. I do know many gay couples who live in those suburbs, but they have had some neighbors give strange looks and the other normal reactions in a more conservative suburb. They have also had many people be very open to their lifestyle. Now if your gay and single you should be fine in any Columbus suburb or section of the city.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 9,303 times
Smile thank you so much....

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
Yes this is true. Of all the suburbs, the ones INSIDE the outerbelt, 270, are known for being more liberal.

The most liberal, and also very very nice, is Grandview Heights located just west of downtown and next to the nicest urban neighborhoods in Columbus.

Then Bexley is also known for being fairly socially liberal. It is located east of downtown.

Worthington is pretty down to earth and has decently accepting elements.

Of course, the the most accepting areas of the metro are the areas of Columbus city.

For families the Clintonville and Beechwold neighborhoods (just north of Ohio State University) have good Columbus City Schools and is a very nice, open-minded neighborhood.

NW columbus (just on the other side of the river from Clintonville) neighborhoods also have good city schools and neighborhoods. Some sections of NW columbus attend suburban worthington and Dublin schools as well.

Now if your set on living in Gahanna you should be fine. Gahanna is a east side suburb.

The SW and west suburbs/townships are the most conservative, socially, sections of the metro. I would not recommend moving there, in your situation. They include Galloway, Hilliard, Grove City. I do know many gay couples who live in those suburbs, but they have had some neighbors give strange looks and the other normal reactions in a more conservative suburb. They have also had many people be very open to their lifestyle. Now if your gay and single you should be fine in any Columbus suburb or section of the city.
Thank you so much for responding to the post. Both my partner and I are very appreciative for everything that you said. We also have a 7 yr old son that we have to consider so the input about the schools was very helpful. Giving us the info gives us some insight on where to begin looking so we are not on a wild-goose-chase.

Thanks Again!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,425 times
Default Westgate is a GREAT place for lesbian families

My partner and I moved to Westgate, in the Hilltop area, last year. We are expecting our first child soon, and even our ultra-conservative neighbors are excited for us and have been very nice. It can be a mixed bag, one house across the street is actually hated by our entire block because they are homophobes, and leave their trash in their front yard, but the homophobes are quite outnumbered and have never bothered us. We know so many lesbian and gay couples in our area, it's AWESOME. On our street alone (a total of 16 houses) three are owned by gay or lesbian couples. I invite everyone to check out Westgate, which is borderd by Hague Ave., Broad Street, Wilson Road and Eakin/or Briggs Rd., with some give or take. The houses are very inexpensive and a bit older, which is what we were looking for. The school system is Columbus City, which has it's challenges, but I don't have a problem with it. Good LucK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus