Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 01:20 PM

382 posts, read 507,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
I'm sure downtown Columbus is a lot better than it was 30 years ago, long before I moved here. But saying Cleveland and Columbus are similar in their downtown cores is a little ridiculous. I see new construction all the time in downtown Cleveland, here in Columbus, next to nothing.

I'm not knocking Columbus, but just saying as a resident who has lived in both cities, Columbus still has that small town feel to it.
Going to have to disagree with you.

Construction Roundup: September 2016 Edition, Part 2 | ColumbusUnderground.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 01:32 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,238,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
LOL....those are very small projects. Where are the large projects? The big hotels? Those small projects are the same as you find in any small city.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:45 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,081,109 times
Quote:
LOL....those are very small projects. Where are the large projects? The big hotels? Those small projects are the same as you find in any small city.
Scioto Mile
Columbus Commons
Expansion of the Columbus Center
The complete renewal of high street in The University District
The 12 story Park edge condos in The Arena District
The New Coleman Government Center
Grandview Yard
The Normandy apartments downtown on Long Street
Standard Hall in The Short North
New homes in Italian Village's Jefferey Park
Northside Library
New office space near Huntington Park
Hubbard Park Place in Victorian Village
The Jerome Apartment Buildings in Victorian Village
The King Avenue Apartments
The Olympic in Clintonville
Bike lanes on Summit
The new Nationwide Children's Hospital Building
The new five story mixed use apartment building on town and 5th downtown
The LC Riversouth Building
The Ohio Veterans Museum in Franklinton
Aston Row townhomes in Victorian Village
Sixth Street condos downtown
The new Middle West Distillery
The Truberry on Second Condo in Victorian Village
The Joseph Hotel in the Short North
The 8 story city of Columbus Garbage downtown on Long Street
The Rogue fitness manufacturing facility in Milo-Grogan
New single family homes in Weinland Park
The Burwell in Italian Village
Rate this post positively

Old 10-12-2016, 02:00 PM

23 posts, read 24,928 times
Quote:
New Construction of Condos, Apartments, and Mixed-Use is by no means small. These projects bring thousands of people downtown to live, work, play. Sure, most cities have some new construction, but Columbus is really zooming with developing its downtown. I believe most of Cleveland's new apartments and condos have been redeveloped properties which are "smaller" projects.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:20 PM

382 posts, read 507,484 times
Quote:
Well since you never stated what counts as true construction then I guess these don't count. Columbus will just be a small cow town forever and never grow...

What a terrible time to be living here.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:27 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,950,202 times
Here's a long list of past development, including everything recently completed.

Past Development | All Columbus, Ohio Data

Here's the list of projects either under construction or planned.

Ongoing/Planned Development | All Columbus, Ohio Data

Neither list is entirely complete at this time.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus_Droom View Post
If you move to Columbus you will NOT feel like you are stuck in some small town. Quite honestly, I still think back fondly on my first year down here and absolutely loved discovering all of the cool neighborhoods Columbus has. You should definitely come down for a visit and check out the Short North and German Village. They are the most unique neighborhoods near Downtown.

You are right about Ohio City, it is quite small compared to the Short North. Maybe I secretly just miss Cleveland! Regardless, I think you might really enjoy Columbus, it's worth the 2 hour drive!
Ohio City is a lot like Over-the-Rhine in Cincinnati- they have the bones to be awesome neighborhoods, and probably will be one day, but they're not there yet. I think the Short North is probably the only fully revitalized, maturely gentrified urban neighborhood in any of Ohio's major cities.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I'm sure downtown Columbus is a lot better than it was 30 years ago, long before I moved here. But saying Cleveland and Columbus are similar in their downtown cores is a little ridiculous. I see new construction all the time in downtown Cleveland, here in Columbus, next to nothing.

I'm not knocking Columbus, but just saying as a resident who has lived in both cities, Columbus still has that small town feel to it.

I can think of at least a dozen projects just off the top of my head that are either ongoing or planned Downtown.

-Neighborhood Launch- this has over 300 units already, and there are plans for at least a few hundred more.
The Madison project- 3 historic building being renovated into residential and retail.
-The adjacent surface lot is planned to be a 12-story hotel (at least it was the last I heard).
-Citizens building- renovation of a historic building into residential and retail.
-The mixed-use project under construction across Gay Street from Citizens will take up the whole block.
-The new Coleman office building on Front, under construction.
- LC at RiverSouth double-tower project, under construction.
-The Matan residential building on Front, under construction.
-Across the street from the Matan is another residential project, under construction.
-The recently completed Julian building renovation into residential.
-The planned 25-story Millennial Tower in RiverSouth, which may begin construction during the winter.
-The residential project on 5th, under construction.
-The planned 10-story on 3rd.
-The planned 11-story on S. High adjacent to the LC project.
-The planned 7-story residential building across from the Topiary Park.
-The ongoing expansion-renovation of the CMA.
-The recently completed expansion of the Main Library.
-The 12-story Parks Edge condo building, under construction.
-The 12-story hotel planned across from the Hyatt.
-The national veterans memorial on the Scioto Peninsula, under construction.
-The planned new park across from the new Vets, planned to start construction soon.
-The planned 12-story mixed-use at Columbus Commons.

All of the planned projects should be under construction within the next 6 months.

Those are what I thought of, but I know I am missing several.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:02 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,419,498 times
Cleveland = more urban downtown
Columbus = more urban neighborhoods

Both cities have different strengths. Overall, I'd say Columbus is more urban. Neighborhoods like Old North, Short North and German Village offer consistent quality urbanism from beginning to end. Cleveland's working on it by adding more destinations and expanding small bustling areas in Ohio City and Detroit Shoreway into the rest of the neighborhood.

Cleveland has the downtown with lots of tall buildings, while Columbus is only managing to build one new apartment building over 20 stories (hasn't broke ground yet). Columbus' downtown is a WIP much like Cleveland's neighborhoods aren't "finished" yet. I'd personally go with the neighborhood business districts in Columbus which offer different flavors and a lot more than Cleveland's.

One advantage that Cleveland has in both Downtown and its neighborhoods which give them an extra urban flair is having a train roll up to the station or a fancy BRT bus pulling into the station. Big city transportation gives a tangible big city feel, even if it's in a neighborhood that doesn't offer much. Columbus just has sad COTA buses that stop every block or two and no stations: just a lone stick in the ground or a tiny shelter. It does detract from the urban feel of even its best, most densely populated neighborhoods.

Also, tearing down perfectly good, busy blocks on High St with monolithic mid-rise apartments and retail no different than Grandview Yard is not "renewal" it's Eastonization of what was once authentically urban.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:38 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,354,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
Cleveland = more urban downtown
Columbus = more urban neighborhoods

Both cities have different strengths. Overall, I'd say Columbus is more urban. Neighborhoods like Old North, Short North and German Village offer consistent quality urbanism from beginning to end. Cleveland's working on it by adding more destinations and expanding small bustling areas in Ohio City and Detroit Shoreway into the rest of the neighborhood.

Cleveland has the downtown with lots of tall buildings, while Columbus is only managing to build one new apartment building over 20 stories (hasn't broke ground yet). Columbus' downtown is a WIP much like Cleveland's neighborhoods aren't "finished" yet. I'd personally go with the neighborhood business districts in Columbus which offer different flavors and a lot more than Cleveland's.

One advantage that Cleveland has in both Downtown and its neighborhoods which give them an extra urban flair is having a train roll up to the station or a fancy BRT bus pulling into the station. Big city transportation gives a tangible big city feel, even if it's in a neighborhood that doesn't offer much. Columbus just has sad COTA buses that stop every block or two and no stations: just a lone stick in the ground or a tiny shelter. It does detract from the urban feel of even its best, most densely populated neighborhoods.

Also, tearing down perfectly good, busy blocks on High St with monolithic mid-rise apartments and retail no different than Grandview Yard is not "renewal" it's Eastonization of what was once authentically urban.
From someone who visits columbus bi-monthly i disagree.
Everywhere I drive or take public transit in Cleveland (downtown, midtown, university circle,the flats, buckeye, old Brooklyn,etc.) from eastside to westside including most of the inner- ring suburbs, look and feel more urban.
When i drive around columbus ( except a couple mile radius around downtown) i immediately get the suburban feeling with architecture/ development that matches my experience of both cities. Not even close imo.
Peoples definition/impression of "urban" vary. What is is urban to one person is suburban to someone else. And visa versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus