U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2008, 07:27 PM

3 posts, read 8,192 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Although I welcome all feedback from this question, I would greatly appreciate hearinig the perspectives of people who have moved to Columbus from other cities.

I must make a decision on where to move my family by the end of April, and given the research I've done, Columbus is at the top of a very short list. We are African Americans, and I would like to know what it's like to live there, mainly:

1. Is rudeness or biased behavior a way of life there?

2. How friendly or welcoming are people, especially to someone not from the area?

3. Is it difficult to make a connection with people? How easy is it to make
friends or find people with common interests?

*** My family and I have many interests, and a positive outlook on
life. We feel isolated where we live now, because we just can't f
aind anyone with a progressive attitude, or even someone that
has a passion for anything. It would be nice to connect with
people like those from my home town, who are open minded
enough to respect you even if they didn't have anything in
common with you (btw, I'm originally from Chicago, now living in a
city that's not so "nice". Many of you may know the city well, but
I won't mention it in this message because I don't want to "offend"
anyone from that city who may be reading).

4. Getting back to my questions, how would you describe the overalll personality type of people in Columbus? Passive, aggressive, or a balance between the two extremes? Are people most likely to be proactive in their interactions with you, or will they make you feel like everything is ok and then talk about you behind your back?

Columbus is ranked among the top cities for African Americans to live. I've either lived or researched the other cites (Dallas, Washington, etc.), and Columbus appears to be what Ive been looking for for quite some time. My hope is that it is unique in that there is a more welcoming atmosphere to newcomers.

I apologize for the length of this letter, and I really thank you for any feedback that I receive.

l.l.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 12:59 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,434,254 times
l.l.[/quote]
1. Is rudeness or biased behavior a way of life there?

It seems to be. I relocated from the Dallas area with my wife who is from NW Ohio, and I found a general lack of politeness throughout Columbus and surrounding cities

2. How friendly or welcoming are people, especially to someone not from the area?
Overall, not very welcoming or that friendly, especially during OSU and Texas football when I still had Texas plates on my car.

[I]3. Is it difficult to make a connection with people? How easy is it to make
friends or find people with common interests?
[/i]

That was a tough one. Although I enjoy sports and football, it was almost impossible to really have deep conversations with some folks if the topic wasn't centered around the OSU buckeyes. Granted, there were some people there that were great and we connected with, but that was only a few.

4. Getting back to my questions, how would you describe the overalll personality type of people in Columbus? Passive, aggressive, or a balance between the two extremes?

Mostly passive personality, some aggressive in the downtown area.

[i]Are people most likely to be proactive in their interactions with you, or will they make you feel like everything is ok and then talk about you behind your back?[/I]

A little bit of both but overall, talk ok with you face to face, and then tear you up when you leave.

Columbus is ranked among the top cities for African Americans to live. I've either lived or researched the other cites (Dallas, Washington, etc.), and Columbus appears to be what Ive been looking for for quite some time. My hope is that it is unique in that there is a more welcoming atmosphere to newcomers.

I hope you find what you're looking for. Columbus is good place for lots of people, it just wasn't a good fit for me. You can't go wrong with Dallas or Nashville (where I currently live)

Old 03-03-2008, 05:56 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,550,055 times
I look at it this way. Columbus is one of the best cities for african americans for a reason, they offer a great job base for any group of people, it is not a racist city like I have experienced elsewhere in the country, and it offers a great income for all groups of people. Columbus has a strong and diverse economy. Lots of things to do, and it is a young and vibrant city. Columbus is one of those "new" cities, and it seems to fly under the national radar, but when people visit a lot of them end up staying and like the area a lot.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:32 PM

80 posts, read 266,378 times
read all of my posts...including the one on the Pittsburgh forum about WTVN...don't move here....

Old 03-04-2008, 09:16 PM

120 posts, read 607,103 times
Default re

My Columbus exerience has been through and through a fantastic and enjoyable one. I recommend getting involved in activities that you enjoy-that's the place to meet people. I love sports, especially hockey, so I get involved with the sport and attend Blue Jackets games-other people there are also interested in the game, so I've met a lot of great people this way. I've found the people in the Columbus hockey community to be friendly, helpful, outgoing, and generally a joy to be around. I think you have to be somewhat outgoing yourself and reach out, Columbus is a big city and people aren't going to know you're not from the area (nor do they probably care) unless you tell them (unless of course you have an obvious accent that pretty much says otherwise), so if you need help, wanna make friends, etc, just gotta be the initiator. I don't think that issue is any different no matter where you go. I love Columbus. I don't mean to paint a bed of roses, Columbus does have rude people, ghetto, crime, etc, but every city does. Visit the city before you move, spend some time if you can-longer than just vacation time, and get a feel for the city yourself. And if you do getta visit and like sports, come on out to a Blue Jackets or Clippers game.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:29 PM

897 posts, read 2,725,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greytercel View Post
read all of my posts...including the one on the Pittsburgh forum about WTVN...don't move here....
Please play somewhere else...

Columbus is an excellent place to live!!!

Old 03-05-2008, 02:59 PM

897 posts, read 2,725,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awakenthesun22 View Post
My Columbus exerience has been through and through a fantastic and enjoyable one. I recommend getting involved in activities that you enjoy-that's the place to meet people. I love sports, especially hockey, so I get involved with the sport and attend Blue Jackets games-other people there are also interested in the game, so I've met a lot of great people this way. I've found the people in the Columbus hockey community to be friendly, helpful, outgoing, and generally a joy to be around. I think you have to be somewhat outgoing yourself and reach out, Columbus is a big city and people aren't going to know you're not from the area (nor do they probably care) unless you tell them (unless of course you have an obvious accent that pretty much says otherwise), so if you need help, wanna make friends, etc, just gotta be the initiator. I don't think that issue is any different no matter where you go. I love Columbus. I don't mean to paint a bed of roses, Columbus does have rude people, ghetto, crime, etc, but every city does. Visit the city before you move, spend some time if you can-longer than just vacation time, and get a feel for the city yourself. And if you do getta visit and like sports, come on out to a Blue Jackets or Clippers game.

Well said... I find Columbus no more or less friendly that any other city that I've lived in. I tend to be polite and talkative where ever I go in the city - and have no trouble interacting with others in a positive manner. Just this morning I was shopping in the Sawmill / 161 area and everyone I encountered was very nice. The folks at the Driver's License office on Morse were extemely nice to me when I went there last week (yes - I finally got my OH DL).

Old 03-05-2008, 07:02 PM

119 posts, read 537,866 times
It's my experience that when you have a bad attitude with people... they have a bad attitude with you... no matter where you are

Old 03-07-2008, 07:56 PM

3 posts, read 8,192 times
Thank you all for your comments. After considerable thought, I have decided to go in another direction and relocate somewhere else. I really appreciate what everyone has said, both positive and negative.

May God bless you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
View detailed profiles of: