Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 02:35 PM

135 posts, read 181,632 times

Advertisements

Being in Pickerington is a disadvantage, because you're so far away from the center of the city. But you can't argue with a free house, can you?!

For hiking, Highbanks is the best of the Metroparks. It's on 23 north of the city. You are also just a quick hop on 33 away from the Hocking Hills, which is the best hiking in Ohio. Yellow Springs is a short (1 hour) drive west, and there's great hiking there as well.

I've seen signs in Korean at several area churches. See this for more information: KAMR: Churches

Columbus is the best library city in America, so make use of that. The main library downtown is a good trip, and there's a really pretty park (Deaf School Park) behind it. You're also close by the art museum and CCAD there. Also worth a trip is the Franklin Park Conservatory, which is maybe my favorite thing to do in Columbus.

There aren't a lot of truly diverse neighborhoods in Columbus, to be honest. There are white neighborhoods, black neighborhoods, Hispanic neighborhoods, etc., but you don't see them mix together very much. Probably the most unique neighborhood (in terms of things you won't find in many other cities) is the Somali neighborhood around Cleveland Avenue and Westerville Avenue on the northeast side.

Pretty much all of the twentysomething social scene in Columbus revolves around drinking, just FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 03:32 PM

4 posts, read 3,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainclipper View Post
If you will be attending OSU, you'll be exposed to many people your age from all over the world. One of the most popular Korean restaurants is located right across from campus at High & Lane, Diaspora (https://www.yelp.com/biz/diaspora-columbus).

I would also highly suggest checking out Saraga International Market (https://www.yelp.com/biz/saraga-inte...ocery-columbus) on Morse Rd and the Japan Marketplace collection of shops/restaurants/market on Henderson (JAPAN MARKETPLACE).

Morse Rd and SR-161 on the Northeast side are home to large contingents of African immigrant communities and have some really great markets, shops, and restaurants to check out. The same can be said for the Northwest side around Bethel and Sawmill Rds for Asian communities, and on the West side (Broad St area) for Hispanic communities.

The traditional base of African Americans in Columbus is on the Near East Side, (Long St, and Main St) and there are nice restaurants and cultural things to do in that area as well (https://www.yelp.com/biz/creole-kitchen-columbus, https://www.yelp.com/biz/d-and-l-san...kings-columbus, The King Arts Complex | Where Dreams Come Alive!, | Lincoln Theatre |.

For Caribbean/Jamaican I would look at Cleveland Ave, especially Ena's Kitchen (https://www.yelp.com/biz/enas-caribb...tchen-columbus).

Columbus Food Adventures (https://columbusfoodadventures.com/) offers tours of many of the more out-of-the-way and "hidden gem" type places, but it's also fun and perfectly doable to explore on your own.

The more general, "hip" places to go in Columbus include the Short North, German Village, the North Market, and Grandview. These are all clustered around OSU and Downtown. There are many awesome places and things to do there that can either involve (or not) drinking you'd probably enjoy. If you like art, I would especially recommend the Pizzuti Collection which exhibits contemporary artists from around the world (https://pizzuticollection.org/).

I could actually go on and on, but you probably get the idea, and can use this list to start exploring and finding more places on your own. There are really a ton of ways to experience diverse cultures in Columbus. The one drawback that leaps out at me from your post is that you'll be living out in Pickerington (which is much more "white bread" and bland IMHO), but as you mentiioned, it's not that far away from the actual city.

Good luck with the move and welcome to Cbus!
Thank you! Wow, that was really helpful. I just need to know where abouts to go & I can just explore around from there! Where I'm from I was used to driving at least 30 mins to get downtown before I just decided to move downtown so it's not a huge issue! I'm a little more excited now that I see there's quite a bit to do.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:29 AM

14,635 posts, read 14,502,706 times
North High Street is a good starting point, from downtown all the way up into Clintonville.
They have a really good Farmers Market on the weekend in Clintonville by the Kroger supermarket, near Whetstone Park/Park of the Roses, which also houses a nice library. Further down toward the campus you have a lot of good restaurants and hipster drinking spots, and past the campus area (which is mostly corporate nowadays) you get into Short North and Italian Village, with its upscale drinking spots and cafes/tea houses. South High (just south of downtown) has a few good, local spots too. German Village, as mentioned, is a must not only for Schmidt's and the cobblestone streets, but the Book Loft bookstore, which just has to be seen to be believed.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:07 AM

730 posts, read 766,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
North High Street is a good starting point, from downtown all the way up into Clintonville.
They have a really good Farmers Market on the weekend in Clintonville by the Kroger supermarket, near Whetstone Park/Park of the Roses, which also houses a nice library. Further down toward the campus you have a lot of good restaurants and hipster drinking spots, and past the campus area (which is mostly corporate nowadays) you get into Short North and Italian Village, with its upscale drinking spots and cafes/tea houses. South High (just south of downtown) has a few good, local spots too. German Village, as mentioned, is a must not only for Schmidt's and the cobblestone streets, but the Book Loft bookstore, which just has to be seen to be believed.
I've always wonder how in the world the Fire Marshall allows that place to cram so much in. I won't go in there anymore because of my fire safety concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus