Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2017, 03:35 PM

121 posts, read 228,994 times

Advertisements

I am surprised to hear that all private preschools are shying away from Academic acceleration. They are all insisting that the age of KG should be 5 by Sep 30. Whereas the Ohio early education clearly specifies the requirement of academic accelerations.

Even public schools are ready to take kids < 5 by Sep 30 into KG by early screening assessment but private preschools (ofcourse chains) which run private KG are not doing this.

Views and opinions on this subject is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 08:21 AM

730 posts, read 775,581 times
I have two summer babies, one a few weeks before the cutoff date and one 8 days after. They are academic peers but having seen the difference in maturity the extra year made I'd kindergarten redshirt the one born before the cutoff if I had it to do over. So many parents hold their kids back year these days your kid could end up with many classmates that are 18 months older than they are.

I also like the idea of having an extra year of guidance at home before heading off for college or whatever else life holds for them.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:08 AM

233 posts, read 412,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post
I have two summer babies, one a few weeks before the cutoff date and one 8 days after. They are academic peers but having seen the difference in maturity the extra year made I'd kindergarten redshirt the one born before the cutoff if I had it to do over. So many parents hold their kids back year these days your kid could end up with many classmates that are 18 months older than they are.

I also like the idea of having an extra year of guidance at home before heading off for college or whatever else life holds for them.
This post says all I was going to say. Social maturity makes a huge difference, especially during a kid's freshman year of college.
In the old days when the US had a military draft my neighbor took a four year old to the pediatrician for a kindergarten physical. The doctor asked "what is your hurry to get him into the army". Enough said, the kid was not pushed into early kindergarten.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:57 AM

121 posts, read 228,994 times
I agree to the replies. But i feel it should be discretionary to the parents & each kids development. Are we not trying to box human by limiting this based on the age.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:55 AM

730 posts, read 775,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by place View Post
I agree to the replies. But i feel it should be discretionary to the parents & each kids development. Are we not trying to box human by limiting this based on the age.
Agree but you can't really tell at 5 years old how mature the kid will be 10 years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus