U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 10:14 AM

11 posts, read 66,501 times

Advertisements

Well, it looks like my employers have decided to stay in Columbus. I can now begin house hunting with verve, vim and vigor!

But I have a question for the experts 'round here, and the question is:

I'm considering looking at those tax abated condos in the Short North, maybe the Battleship Building too, but I'm worried long term about Columbus' ability to sustain the market downtown. I see stuff about renting being ok, leasing to own, etc. That makes me worried. I'm probably a bit more worried about those that aren't right in the Short North. The places more centrally located downtown, Gay Street, 3rd, etc., might be even more vulnerable.

What do ya'll think? I don't want to buy a place in a building that turns into rentals.

I wonder how noisy they are, too. I don't mind ambient street noise, but I hate noisy neighbors.... yuck.

Oh, and as an aside, how comfortable would you be living only a block or so in from Parsons, in the Schumacher Place/Merion Village area? Assuming a garage and no on street parking.

Thanks for any help!

Michael
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 05:56 PM

37 posts, read 155,409 times
Personally, I am going to be new to Columbus, (I know very little about it); I can tell you that many cities (such as LA, Phoenix) have difficult times maintaining downtown areas. From the research I have done, I would suggest being in the Short North for resale value and quality of life. While tax abatement sounds great you have to consider resale value, area.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:59 PM

8 posts, read 34,586 times
The short north is great (I am a 10 year resident)
I would check into a condo though that is part of a larger building, like 3 or 4 units, not necessarily a new building, in the Short North. Yes the property is a more expensive here, but the resale is great. Alot of the new condos are turning into rentals.

Schumacher and Merion Village are great places too; you just need to be careful and aware of your surroundings. I don't know if you've lived in a city before, but if you haven't, just be street smart.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:10 PM

6 posts, read 27,239 times
what about apartments, i might be getting a job at WBNS and would like to have a place not to far from there...any ideas?

Old 03-30-2008, 08:07 PM

8 posts, read 33,965 times
I have lived in a rehabbed, tax-abated, downtown condo for almost four years now, and I really like it. Some of my neighbors are now my best friends, and despite the occasional bit of noise or mess in a community area, it has been a great experience for a married couple without kids. Quite a few places have popped up down here recently, so I'd recommend one that has been "broken in" a little. If you choose a location that is just built, prepare yourself for growing pains - condo fee "adjustments," battles with developers, and maybe some unfulfilled promises. I lucked out into a good location, a great view, and a fair share of conveniences.

I really enjoy living downtown (I walk one block to work, and it's less than a mile to the Arena), but I do agree that the Short North has the most long-term value. You'll hate parking, though.

Don't bother looking for something walking distance from WBNS. The studio (on Riverside, Drive, right?) is a long strip of businesses. With a residence downtown or in Grandview (or the Short North, for that matter), your commute would be less than 10 minutes.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:39 AM

1,657 posts, read 3,886,568 times
Hi

I'm looking to buy in the Short North also.
It's interesting that some of the places are for rent. That would be a good way to know if I like the area and/or the condo

Can anyone give me some names of places that are renting?

Old 04-09-2008, 04:28 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,542,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Hi

I'm looking to buy in the Short North also.
It's interesting that some of the places are for rent. That would be a good way to know if I like the area and/or the condo

Can anyone give me some names of places that are renting?
Hope this helps:
Short North, Restaurants, Columbus, Ohio, shops, galleries, apartments (http://www.theshortnorth.com/Restaurants.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
View detailed profiles of: