U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 11:59 PM

394 posts, read 1,375,165 times

Advertisements

First off, I want to apologize for making what appears to be another "I'm thinking about moving here, help me!" type thread, but everyone at this forum always gives great advice.

At the college I'm currently attending, they're raising tuition prices significantly to where it makes OSU's out of state tuition look affordable.

I visited Columbus a few weeks ago to visit a close friend of mine (and go to some blue jackets games) who lives there and walked away from it with a very favorable opinion, specifically that in the area which I believe is the Short North, and the area around campus. I'm considering a move from Pittsburgh to Columbus this summer, but I've got a few things on my mind before I do:

1. Ohio State class sizes - I'm an english major, and will be roughly halfway through my junior year when I start. I understand OSU is a very very large university, and having small to moderate sized classes are very important to me. Also, if anyone could comment about their time with OSU in general it would be great.

2. Safety - I loved the area around campus, but I have no idea if it's a good area or not. It seemed like it was, but I'm sure you guys can put my fears to rest here.

3. Finding a place to live close to campus - Right now, I'm a bit spoiled (at least by Pittsburgh college student standards) because I can walk to class everyday, and still have a car. I'd like to find a decent one bedroom apartment within walking distance to campus where I can still own a car and be in a safe area that isn't too party crazy 24/7 if you know what I mean. I'm not saying I dont like to get out and have a good time, but if I have an exam at 9am on a wednesday, it's nice to know I can get some rest.

Thank you all very very much in advance. It'll be a huge help to me.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 07:41 AM

22 posts, read 103,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFan09 View Post
First off, I want to apologize for making what appears to be another "I'm thinking about moving here, help me!" type thread, but everyone at this forum always gives great advice.

At the college I'm currently attending, they're raising tuition prices significantly to where it makes OSU's out of state tuition look affordable.

I visited Columbus a few weeks ago to visit a close friend of mine (and go to some blue jackets games) who lives there and walked away from it with a very favorable opinion, specifically that in the area which I believe is the Short North, and the area around campus. I'm considering a move from Pittsburgh to Columbus this summer, but I've got a few things on my mind before I do:

1. Ohio State class sizes - I'm an english major, and will be roughly halfway through my junior year when I start. I understand OSU is a very very large university, and having small to moderate sized classes are very important to me. Also, if anyone could comment about their time with OSU in general it would be great.

2. Safety - I loved the area around campus, but I have no idea if it's a good area or not. It seemed like it was, but I'm sure you guys can put my fears to rest here.

3. Finding a place to live close to campus - Right now, I'm a bit spoiled (at least by Pittsburgh college student standards) because I can walk to class everyday, and still have a car. I'd like to find a decent one bedroom apartment within walking distance to campus where I can still own a car and be in a safe area that isn't too party crazy 24/7 if you know what I mean. I'm not saying I dont like to get out and have a good time, but if I have an exam at 9am on a wednesday, it's nice to know I can get some rest.

Thank you all very very much in advance. It'll be a huge help to me.
if youre a junior, most of your classes will be smaller...once i finished my GEC's, I never took a class larger than 35 people and i know MOST majors are that way.

and you can still own a car here. just don't leave anything valuable in it. i would recommend looking at the area directly adjacent to the medical center (anywhere in the area from 8th to 5th and from neil to cannon dr...it makes a little square). i lived all over campus and this was by FAR the area with the least amount of crime that was still within a really close walking distance. dont live on chittenden. my best friend woke up one morning a few years ago and found their house roped off with police tape..turns out there was a shooting in their backyard!

Old 03-28-2008, 02:44 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,465,221 times
I live in one of the few condos just south of the university between the short north and the university district (on the west side of High St.) OSU's retail strip is very 24 hours, but there are very few clubs and bars for the population. Columbus' bar/club scene is pretty spread out among the high street corridor. Only north campus has a high amount of bars. I recommend looking for a place on south campus WEST of high st.

You will find that there are very nice neighborhoods just south of the university (the shor north) all the way to downtown like the Arena District. These are very safe, gentrified and clean. And literally just steps away from skyscrapers. There is very little that gentrified in Pittsburgh and I think you will be happy.

OSU is pretty class minded. Now if you live on the area of the neighborhood just east of high st. you can be around many of the houses that house frats and 3-10 students in one building. I would avoid those areas as they are the most undergrad in nature. Stick to west of high just south of the university where there area very many apartments, or a place just along high st. east of the university.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
I live in one of the few condos just south of the university between the short north and the university district (on the west side of High St.) OSU's retail strip is very 24 hours, but there are very few clubs and bars for the population. Columbus' bar/club scene is pretty spread out among the high street corridor. Only north campus has a high amount of bars. I recommend looking for a place on south campus WEST of high st.

You will find that there are very nice neighborhoods just south of the university (the shor north) all the way to downtown like the Arena District. These are very safe, gentrified and clean. And literally just steps away from skyscrapers. There is very little that gentrified in Pittsburgh and I think you will be happy.

OSU is pretty class minded. Now if you live on the area of the neighborhood just east of high st. you can be around many of the houses that house frats and 3-10 students in one building. I would avoid those areas as they are the most undergrad in nature. Stick to west of high just south of the university where there area very many apartments, or a place just along high st. east of the university.
Ok, thanks. I'm trying to look on google maps and figure out where south and north campus are, where the short north is, and where I should be looking for places to live. I'm not very familiar with the city or campus area at all, and the whole process is a little confusing for me.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:35 PM

118 posts, read 518,390 times
SteelerFan,

First off...don't advertise that you are in fact a Steelers fan. Most everyone in the area is a Browns or Bengals fan! Just joking though, you'll get a hard time for it but that is all.

Secondly, for an English major you're never going to see more than 30 people in a class. The only time you get 100+ people in a class is a lecture, and English courses are discussion-based, keeping them small.

In regards to safety, I've been here for a year now (I'm a freshman, 19) and I have yet to experience anything unsafe. I have even walked home from parties alone a few times, and haven't encountered anything. I would advise not to be alone though, especially after midnight. ALso, dont carry alot of cash or anything on you, because that's what most people comitting crimes are after.

There are TONS of places to live. Stay WEST of high st. if possible.. i would recommend between 8th and 15th.
OSU Off-Campus Student Services : Home check there for apartments and info.

Last edited by schmidt486; 03-29-2008 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 03-29-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt486 View Post
SteelerFan,

First off...don't advertise that you are in fact a Steelers fan. Most everyone in the area is a Browns or Bengals fan! Just joking though, you'll get a hard time for it but that is all.

Secondly, for an English major you're never going to see more than 30 people in a class. The only time you get 100+ people in a class is a lecture, and English courses are discussion-based, keeping them small.

In regards to safety, I've been here for a year now (I'm a freshman, 19) and I have yet to experience anything unsafe. I have even walked home from parties alone a few times, and haven't encountered anything. I would advise not to be alone though, especially after midnight. ALso, dont carry alot of cash or anything on you, because that's what most people comitting crimes are after.

There are TONS of places to live. Stay WEST of high st. if possible.. i would recommend between 8th and 15th.
OSU Off-Campus Student Services : Home check there for apartments and info.
Thanks a bunch for the helpful reply. haha I am a Steelers fan (obviously), but I'm also a big OSU sports fan and a huge Indians fan, so hopefully that'll even it out,haha.

Are the places you were recommending to live fairly quiet most normal nights (By that I mean non-game nights sunday-thursday)? Is it out of the question to both have a car and walk to class everday?

Thanks again for the help.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:43 AM

118 posts, read 518,390 times
I don't have a car, but know people that manage to have one, and walk. You definately will want to walk to class if you can - as driving here can be pretty annoying with all the wierd roads to nowhere, and lack of good parking. The campus bus system (CABS) is good, but the City bus service (COTA)is terrible.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:54 PM

8 posts, read 33,965 times
I concur with Streetcred's response. Living west of High St. and south of Campus will be ideal. I also agree that you should include the Short North area in your search. Even if you find a place to live that is over a mile away, you'll have the option of a long walk on a nice day or a short bus ride on the #2 on a bad day. Driving to campus generally sucks, but that's what happens with a university of 60K students, many of whom commute. The High St. bus is one of the more reliable COTA options.

As for classes, I minored in English and never had a class over about 25-30 students. I also made some really good friends in those classes, so I think you'll enjoy the curriculum. I've always been a Steelers fan, so you'll have plenty of comrades here. It's not like Browns/Bengals fans have anything to taunt you with!

Old 03-30-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabotage View Post
I concur with Streetcred's response. Living west of High St. and south of Campus will be ideal. I also agree that you should include the Short North area in your search. Even if you find a place to live that is over a mile away, you'll have the option of a long walk on a nice day or a short bus ride on the #2 on a bad day. Driving to campus generally sucks, but that's what happens with a university of 60K students, many of whom commute. The High St. bus is one of the more reliable COTA options.

As for classes, I minored in English and never had a class over about 25-30 students. I also made some really good friends in those classes, so I think you'll enjoy the curriculum. I've always been a Steelers fan, so you'll have plenty of comrades here. It's not like Browns/Bengals fans have anything to taunt you with!
Sounds good. I'm still considering living in those areas, but I've found a really nice apartment northwest of campus (Oakland Avenue) that I'd like to take a look at too. I'm going to make sure I see some places in all areas just to be sure.

In terms of academics, how would you rate your expirience here as far as English classes go? How were the teachers, were the classes/discussions enjoyable, Was the work interesting, stuff like that. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:10 PM

8 posts, read 33,965 times
The area north of campus is fine, too. It's more of a young party atmosphere, but there is plenty to do.

My English classes were pretty unconventional. I had one class where I befriended my TA and we played poker once a month. I had yet another class where one session was relocated to a bar...just because. I graduated 10 years ago, so I'm not really current on who is teaching, and I should also note that my emphasis was on writing (fiction and business writing). I had a good friend whose emphasis was in lit, and his experience was less interactive than mine. I really enjoyed my classes, though. I majored in Mechanical Engineering, so the minor in English was for no reason other than that I enjoyed the work and wanted to be more well-rounded. The building that houses the offices of the English professors is kind of a dump, so you won't be wowed by the facilities, but I think you'll like the people (profs and students).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
View detailed profiles of: