Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 03:45 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
This is quite a statement.

Key Tower is still one the tallest skyscrapers in the nation, and Cleveland is one the handful of U.S. cities to actually have heavy rail metro. That's not even getting into the airport, MLB, NFL, NBA, etc.

If someone could explain how Columbus feels bigger without the usual population growth citations, I'd be most interested.
Yeah I am trying to not be a Cleveland homer, but I don't see how Columbus feels "bigger" than Cleveland. Ohio State feels bigger than Cleveland State and Case (it is MUCH bigger), but that's about as far as I can go.

Maybe if there is a night that is Gallery Hop in Short North and a Blue Jackets game against the Penguins or Red Wings, then I could see the downtown area being pretty hoppin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 04:51 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The link says it's using 43215, which is the entirety of downtown Columbus, but then also 43201, which in no way shape or form is downtown Columbus. Trying to include Ohio State student population a few miles away to boost stats.
Zip Code 43215 extends south of the Innerbelt deep into the Brewery District, and even a little bit further south of Livingston Ave. into German Village. It may include the entirety of downtown (I haven't attempted to check that out), but it definitely includes many thousands of residents who don't live in downtown Columbus to the south and west.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:00 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The link says it's using 43215, which is the entirety of downtown Columbus, but then also 43201, which in no way shape or form is downtown Columbus. Trying to include Ohio State student population a few miles away to boost stats.
Was thinking it included OSU student population.

Motormouth from Cindy tried this schtick with downtown Cincy population using a zip code that is part downtown and ran up and around mt Adams, adding x thousands of phantom “downtown” residents.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:06 PM

364 posts, read 715,899 times
Idk. I see some arguments on here about the “feel” of each of the 3 C’s. Cleveland is weird in that infrastructure wise, it has the biggest feel of the three cities, yet at the same time there are large swaths that feel relatively empty in comparison to Cincinnati. I guess we can play semantics; Cleveland might feel bigger but Cincinnati IMO feels busier and more cohesive. Idk if it’s due to the more densely built environment of Cincinnati, but it always feels like it has more energy to me in comparison to Cleveland. Short North in Columbus is probably the most bustling and vibrant district in Ohio, but outside of that, Columbus is a distant third in regards to “big city feel” and vibrancy.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:01 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Alphabet View Post
Idk. I see some arguments on here about the “feel” of each of the 3 C’s. Cleveland is weird in that infrastructure wise, it has the biggest feel of the three cities, yet at the same time there are large swaths that feel relatively empty in comparison to Cincinnati. I guess we can play semantics; Cleveland might feel bigger but Cincinnati IMO feels busier and more cohesive. Idk if it’s due to the more densely built environment of Cincinnati, but it always feels like it has more energy to me in comparison to Cleveland. Short North in Columbus is probably the most bustling and vibrant district in Ohio, but outside of that, Columbus is a distant third in regards to “big city feel” and vibrancy.
Given that cincinnat lost about 50% of its population, not sure how it has “fuller” feel than Cleveland.CIN was able to keep its 19th feel intact because it grew bigger earlier and didn’t give itself over as much as Cleveland did during Cleveland’s vast boom late 1800s to mid 20th century. CIN core may feel busier due to its old narrow street grid but its core is really not that large.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:53 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
This is quite a statement.

Key Tower is still one the tallest skyscrapers in the nation, and Cleveland is one the handful of U.S. cities to actually have heavy rail metro. That's not even getting into the airport, MLB, NFL, NBA, etc.

If someone could explain how Columbus feels bigger without the usual population growth citations, I'd be most interested.
You all are literally debating a subjective feeling based on completely arbitrary criteria. It perhaps took longer than expected, but this thread has turned into the dumb argument they always do. What a waste of time.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You all are literally debating a subjective feeling based on completely arbitrary criteria. It perhaps took longer than expected, but this thread has turned into the dumb argument they always do. What a waste of time.
I mean.... the OP specifically asked a subjective question so....

I guess it's better to just have the Columbus forum be silent as usual.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:12 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Motormouth from Cindy tried this schtick with downtown Cincy population using a zip code that is part downtown and ran up and around mt Adams, adding x thousands of phantom “downtown” residents.
Only because you've so needlessly and distainfully mentioned my user name in your remarks, am I entering this thread again to repeat a simple observation made earlier - one which the three of you (WRnative and JohnDBaumgardner included) have completely disregarded - that the OP requested input from Columbus residents only. However, as usual, you three think that you're entitled to divert any thread, regardless of topic, to Cleveland.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:49 AM

I guess I should say that this whole conversation about how big a place is or feels is perhaps not necessarily important. There are many smaller cities I prefer to larger ones. Besides, Columbus and Cleveland are close enough in size, any difference in "feeling" is not really that much relatively.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:13 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Alphabet View Post
Short North in Columbus is probably the most bustling and vibrant district in Ohio, but outside of that, Columbus is a distant third in regards to “big city feel” and vibrancy.
Short North essentially is one section of North High.

The entire Gateway District of Cleveland hums during sporting events (Indians and Cavs; over 120 dates a year, not including concerts, Lake Erie Monsters AHL games, etc.), and ditto for the Warehouse District, especially during nearby Browns games at First Energy Field.

And I've seen East Fourth St. jammed when there were no games in the Gateway District.

About Us

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/08/r.../08fourth.html

And Cleveland's East Flats reportedly is becoming very popular, but I've yet to do more than ride through it, let alone prowl on a weekend night in the summer.

www.flatseastbank.com/dining-entertainment/

Last edited by WRnative; 09-18-2018 at 09:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus