Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 08:54 AM

11,046 posts, read 12,326,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Nope. If Cleveland’s biggest fans won’t put their money where their mouths are, they shouldn’t be critical of those who might like Columbus better.
You should put your money where your mouth is, speaking of. I don't want to hear you talk about Columbus until your posting a picture of yourself in front of your new home there. I don't care how much you are "involved." If you really liked it, you'd live there.

Awesome logic right?

Oh hey btw, you know I left Columbus too right? I left Columbus for a reason... believe me. After living 6 months after graduating from Ohio State, I realized just how little there was there when not in school. Couldn't stand it. That's why I moved to Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 10:27 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,954,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
You should put your money where your mouth is, speaking of. I don't want to hear you talk about Columbus until your posting a picture of yourself in front of your new home there. I don't care how much you are "involved." If you really liked it, you'd live there.

Awesome logic right?

Oh hey btw, you know I left Columbus too right? I left Columbus for a reason... believe me. After living 6 months after graduating from Ohio State, I realized just how little there was there when not in school. Couldn't stand it. That's why I moved to Boston.
Lol I can see I hit a nerve. I left Columbus because I am in a relationship with someone here. It was either move or end it, and I guess I’m a romantic. When we figure out the visa stuff in the Trump era, I’ll be back. Again, it had nothing to do with anything Columbus related or its supposed shortcomings. When you left Cleveland, was it for school? Why didn’t you go back after? What’s stopping you now from moving to one of America’s premier places to live?

Old 09-28-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Lol I can see I hit a nerve. I left Columbus because I am in a relationship with someone here. It was either move or end it, and I guess I’m a romantic. When we figure out the visa stuff in the Trump era, I’ll be back. Again, it had nothing to do with anything Columbus related or its supposed shortcomings. When you left Cleveland, was it for school? Why didn’t you go back after? What’s stopping you now from moving to one of America’s premier places to live?
all joking aside, the whole point is that of course people are allowed to have opinions on places they don't live. It's just rich that you haven't lived in Columbus for a VERY long time, yet you still have many opinions and keep up to date with it. You, of all people, should be able to understand that people move for a lot of reasons, some of which have nothing to do with how much you might like a city. And that's fine. Frankly, people's reasons for moving aren't really anyone else's business. People are allowed to talk about places. What is this litmus test you came up with that apparently allows you to do so but nobody else?

Btw, all my family in Cleveland is dead. So thanks.

I personally don't care at all if you ever come back to Ohio- and I really doubt you ever will. I hope you and your partner in Mexico are happy. It seems you prefer urban Mexico City, I don't blame you!

Last edited by bjimmy24; 09-28-2018 at 01:42 PM..

Old 09-29-2018, 08:21 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,954,546 times
Quote:
all joking aside, the whole point is that of course people are allowed to have opinions on places they don't live. It's just rich that you haven't lived in Columbus for a VERY long time, yet you still have many opinions and keep up to date with it. You, of all people, should be able to understand that people move for a lot of reasons, some of which have nothing to do with how much you might like a city. And that's fine. Frankly, people's reasons for moving aren't really anyone else's business. People are allowed to talk about places. What is this litmus test you came up with that apparently allows you to do so but nobody else?

Btw, all my family in Cleveland is dead. So thanks.

I personally don't care at all if you ever come back to Ohio- and I really doubt you ever will. I hope you and your partner in Mexico are happy. It seems you prefer urban Mexico City, I don't blame you!
The difference is I don’t spend all my free time trashing cities I don’t live in while not bothering to live in the city I think is superior. Again, it’s fine you don’t like Columbus. It’s doing fine without you. I just don’t get your point. Columbus wasn’t good enough for you, but neither was Cleveland. They need people to move there, rather than to just say nice things on it Internet forum. People choosing Cleveland is what is going to ultimately bring it back. Creating and patronizing its businesses, paying taxes, working to put good leaders in charge, etc. None of what happens here on this forum helps Cleveland, not least of which the trolling of Columbus. But you do you.

Old 09-29-2018, 09:57 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,300,647 times
Quote:
The difference is I don’t spend all my free time trashing cities I don’t live in while not bothering to live in the city I think is superior. Again, it’s fine you don’t like Columbus. It’s doing fine without you. I just don’t get your point. Columbus wasn’t good enough for you, but neither was Cleveland. They need people to move there, rather than to just say nice things on it Internet forum. People choosing Cleveland is what is going to ultimately bring it back. Creating and patronizing its businesses, paying taxes, working to put good leaders in charge, etc. None of what happens here on this forum helps Cleveland, not least of which the trolling of Columbus. But you do you.
Nobody is trolling Columbus. What you actually object to too often as trolling are well substantiated posts, not the biased statements of opinion of which you are so enamored, that objectively discuss Columbus. When posts in this forum falsely aggrandize Columbus at the expense of peer cities, too typically Cleveland and to a lesser extent Cincinnati, you and other posters object to objective responses debunking those posts.

Admittedly, bjimmy's posts may be subjective comments based on his experiences living in Cleveland, Columbus, and Boston, but how are those less unfair than IMO your more inaccurate and biased posts of your subjective opinions???

Time after time, certainly in recent months, Columbus posters in this forum, certainly in this thread, with obviously relatively little knowledge of Cleveland, have made patently inaccurate and even emotionally charged disparaging comments about Cleveland.

Heck, I make negative comments about Cleveland's economic future (the Republican toll road, the negative impact of the global value-added tax regime on Ohio's manufacturing economy, the unchecked dumping of manure by an expanding corporate livestock industry in the Maumee River basin and the resulting pollution of Lake Erie, Republican budget and tax law changes that have imperiled mass transit funding in Greater Cleveland and throughout Ohio, the gutting of local government funding by the Kasich administration), but these are based on facts which I can document.

If, as is done repeatedly in this thread, a poster wants to make the false accusation that the Cleveland MSA relative to the Columbus MSA isn't booming (neither are booming, but the Greater Cleveland GDP is larger and currently growing faster than the Greater Columbus GDP; FACT), or that the imminently acclaimed and remarkably successful PlayhouseSquare theater district in Cleveland has no impact on the Cleveland economy, you would have us ignore these falsities.

WHY??? Is it better for Columbus to live in a dreamland?

Also your post, as is too typical of your posts, is filled with false straw man arguments. Clearly bjimmy24 doesn't remotely spend all of his " free time trashing cities" he doesn't live in, and he's certainly entitled to make subjective, even arguably objective comments, about Columbus given the reality that he lived in Columbus for several years. He's repeatedly explained for years why he lives in Boston, and not in Cleveland or Columbus, and the reasons are different between Columbus and Cleveland.

Persons such as me and bjimmy24 who value greatly superior cultural amenities, or the major pro sports, always will want to live in a city more like Boston and Cleveland and less like Columbus. It's disingenuous on your part to claim that the expression of this objective reality is "trolling" or "trashing." BTW, I've never seen bjimmy24 say that Cleveland wasn't attractive to him or that he wouldn't want to live there. He just found better job opportunities and subsequently romance in Boston. That happens.

Last edited by WRnative; 09-29-2018 at 10:29 AM..

Old 09-29-2018, 11:16 AM
on3

492 posts, read 372,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttzakr87 View Post
I just wanted to gauge what residents that would be a major reason to choose Columbus over the other two big C's in Ohio, Cleveland and Cincinnati?
Each place has it's pros and cons. A big reason to choose the greatness of Columbus? Because it's almost equidistant between the greatness of Cleveland and greatness of Cincinnati. Best of both worlds. It's a crime when Ohioans who are capable of experiencing all 3 areas by living in each location for at least a year instead refuse to do so because they are afraid of leaving their "safe space". Sure not everyone can do so that has a family or parents that need to be taken care of but some of these singles that can easily find a job doing the same thing at same pay should certainly give it a go. I've lived in all 3 locations and you can't go wrong with any of them. This is OHIO, not some other state where certain areas suck and you are limited where to live. Why can I prop up Ohio over other states? Because I'm qualified as I have lived in other states. So there's that.

As a new poster here I just read some of the comments in this thread and you can clearly see there is a lack of information based on limited experience in all 3 areas. I can already tell I'm going to have a fun time here correcting the trolls and other city bashers. There's a new Ohio sheriff in town. Buckle up Dorthy because Kansas is going bye bye.

That being said nothing is more sad than people from one of the C's that bash things about another C when they have only VISITED and have never LIVED there. Their opinions are worth a grain of salt and they aren't qualified to compare the areas based on their "visits". Ask people that LIVED in all 3 places who are qualified to compare the 3 and pay no mind to those who try to make it seem like their city is best when they only know 1/3rd or 2/3rd's of the story.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Nobody is trolling Columbus. What you actually object to too often as trolling are well substantiated posts, not the biased statements of opinion of which you are so enamored, that objectively discuss Columbus. When posts in this forum falsely aggrandize Columbus at the expense of peer cities, too typically Cleveland and to a lesser extent Cincinnati, you and other posters object to objective responses debunking those posts.

Admittedly, bjimmy's posts may be subjective comments based on his experiences living in Cleveland, Columbus, and Boston, but how are those less unfair than IMO your more inaccurate and biased posts of your subjective opinions???

Time after time, certainly in recent months, Columbus posters in this forum, certainly in this thread, with obviously relatively little knowledge of Cleveland, have made patently inaccurate and even emotionally charged disparaging comments about Cleveland.

Heck, I make negative comments about Cleveland's economic future (the Republican toll road, the negative impact of the global value-added tax regime on Ohio's manufacturing economy, the unchecked dumping of manure by an expanding corporate livestock industry in the Maumee River basin and the resulting pollution of Lake Erie, Republican budget and tax law changes that have imperiled mass transit funding in Greater Cleveland and throughout Ohio, the gutting of local government funding by the Kasich administration), but these are based on facts which I can document.

If, as is done repeatedly in this thread, a poster wants to make the false accusation that the Cleveland MSA relative to the Columbus MSA isn't booming (neither are booming, but the Greater Cleveland GDP is larger and currently growing faster than the Greater Columbus GDP; FACT), or that the imminently acclaimed and remarkably successful PlayhouseSquare theater district in Cleveland has no impact on the Cleveland economy, you would have us ignore these falsities.

WHY??? Is it better for Columbus to live in a dreamland?

Also your post, as is too typical of your posts, is filled with false straw man arguments. Clearly bjimmy24 doesn't remotely spend all of his " free time trashing cities" he doesn't live in, and he's certainly entitled to make subjective, even arguably objective comments, about Columbus given the reality that he lived in Columbus for several years. He's repeatedly explained for years why he lives in Boston, and not in Cleveland or Columbus, and the reasons are different between Columbus and Cleveland.

Persons such as me and bjimmy24 who value greatly superior cultural amenities, or the major pro sports, always will want to live in a city more like Boston and Cleveland and less like Columbus. It's disingenuous on your part to claim that the expression of this objective reality is "trolling" or "trashing." BTW, I've never seen bjimmy24 say that Cleveland wasn't attractive to him or that he wouldn't want to live there. He just found better job opportunities and subsequently romance in Boston. That happens.
Thank you!

Old 09-29-2018, 11:56 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,300,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on3 View Post
As a new poster here I just read some of the comments in this thread and you can clearly see there is a lack of information based on limited experience in all 3 areas. I can already tell I'm going to have a fun time here correcting the trolls and other city bashers. There's a new Ohio sheriff in town. Buckle up Dorthy because Kansas is going bye bye.

That being said nothing is more sad than people from one of the C's that bash things about another C when they have only VISITED and have never LIVED there. Their opinions are worth a grain of salt and they aren't qualified to compare the areas based on their "visits". Ask people that LIVED in all 3 places who are qualified to compare the 3 and pay no mind to those who try to make it seem like their city is best when they only know 1/3rd or 2/3rd's of the story.
Based on your limited posts, you're a pro-Cincinnati poster, who already has filled several Ohio forums with inaccuracies and IMO highly biased opinions.

As someone who regularly visits Columbus, has spent months of time there over the past decade, AND who knows many persons who live in Columbus, my perspective on Columbus is NOT uninformed.

Additionally, unlike you and other trolls, bashers, and homers, I prefer substantiated facts to conceited (new sheriff? ) opinions.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:00 PM
on3

492 posts, read 372,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Based on your limited posts, you're a pro-Cincinnati poster, who already has filled several Ohio forums with inaccuracies and IMO highly biased opinions.

As someone who regularly visits Columbus, has spent months of time there over the past decade, AND who knows many persons who live in Columbus, my perspective on Columbus is NOT uninformed.

Additionally, unlike you and other trolls, bashers, and homers, I prefer substantiated facts to conceited (new sheriff? ) opinions.
What are you going on about? What inaccuracies? Off by 0.5% on a sales tax? Back up your claims. I'm a pro Ohioan poster. Do we really need to quote what I said again? Not a problem. Here we go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by on3
Each place has it's pros and cons. A big reason to choose the greatness of Columbus? Because it's almost equidistant between the greatness of Cleveland and greatness of Cincinnati. Best of both worlds.
You may not be considered "uniformed" about Columbus due to your limited visits, but you certainly are not as informed about it as those that have lived there for many years. You haven't live in all 3 places. Some of us have.

Apparently we have people on this site who are misinformed and calling Columbus, Cincinnati, and Cleveland "great" equates to somehow being a basher. This is such a delight! What a gem. I was wondering if there was anyone on these boards that was going to need a little more "policing" than others.

Last edited by on3; 09-29-2018 at 07:52 PM..

Old 09-29-2018, 10:16 PM

364 posts, read 712,174 times
Quote:
One thing I've learned by talking to normal people is that almost nobody knows exactly how large the city they live in actually is. Most people have never heard of MSA.

I encourage people to try this. Ask people you meet how many people live in the city they grew up in. Then later check the stat. I'd say 7/10 times the answers are pretty different.
This is very true. I’ve met people born and raised here in Cincinnati who have no clue as to how many people live within the city limits of Cincinnati. I’ve heard anywhere from 200K up to a million residents. A coworker of mine from Texas was speaking on how spread out Ft. Worth is. She stated with confidence, yet inaccurately that Cincinnati has double the amount of residents of Ft. Worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus