Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 01:21 PM

1,304 posts, read 854,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
So your argument is Ohio sucks compared to SoCal, but move to Cleveland where even the locals move away?
You need to check out the Cleveland forum; clearly you have no idea what is going on here. I just got here, and I'm already terrified that the BOOM is coming.....I left Seattle to escape what I fear Cleveland is on the verge of becoming....check out all the building going on downtown....read the posts.....you may have a change of heart! I apologize that this has nothing to do with the original intent of this thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 01:48 PM

212 posts, read 198,914 times
Quote:
I find the Hocking Hills and SE Ohio to be beautiful. I like the Cuyahoga Valley, the Lake Erie islands, even farm country. To say there is no natural beauty because there are no mountains like the Rockies or something is just narrow-minded.

I love the cold. I love winter. I love all 4 seasons. People make winter miserable because they're boring people who don't know what to do with themselves. I loved going on winter hikes in the local metro parks, in having BBQs and doing the Christmas Gallery Hop in the falling snow. I loved going camping in the middle of January or staying in a cabin with friends and enjoying a good weekend. Or seeing shows at theaters... hell anything. Because life is too short to always be wishing you were somewhere else, not seeing or appreciating the things you have in front of you. I've lived in Florida, a place many Ohioans move to because all they care about is "beach and palm trees". If you think that cultural wasteland full of humidity, bugs and overcrowded beaches is paradise, go for it. Being happy, though, is a choice.
Nicer way of saying what I said. Thanks.

Ohio is absolutely beautiful. I love going out west multiple times per year to hike and what not, but that doesn't mean I can't see the beauty in front of me every day. It's just excuses for why people aren't living fulfilling, successful lives. They move their same attitude and behaviors to California and they're still going to be unhappy.

Amen to the cold, and four distinct seasons. Love it!

Old 03-14-2019, 01:50 PM

212 posts, read 198,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
You need to check out the Cleveland forum; clearly you have no idea what is going on here. I just got here, and I'm already terrified that the BOOM is coming.....I left Seattle to escape what I fear Cleveland is on the verge of becoming....check out all the building going on downtown....read the posts.....you may have a change of heart! I apologize that this has nothing to do with the original intent of this thread!
As of the last census estimates Cleveland is still losing population. They haven't even stopped the bleeding, let alone be on the verge of a boom. Their jobs numbers are improving, but it's not sustained yet.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:37 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
I'm more afraid of entering the Cleveland forum than in the danger of Cleveland having a Seattle-level boom.

I'm well aware of what's going on in Downtown Cleveland and a few other neighborhoods, and I applaud it. But none of that makes it remotely close to a boom. If any other city in Ohio is more poised to see significantly faster growth, it's Cincinnati. Just don't tell Cincinnati posters that or we'll never hear the end of it.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Father_McKenzie View Post
Nicer way of saying what I said. Thanks.

Ohio is absolutely beautiful. I love going out west multiple times per year to hike and what not, but that doesn't mean I can't see the beauty in front of me every day. It's just excuses for why people aren't living fulfilling, successful lives. They move their same attitude and behaviors to California and they're still going to be unhappy.

Amen to the cold, and four distinct seasons. Love it!

Old 03-14-2019, 02:55 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Father_McKenzie View Post
As of the last census estimates Cleveland is still losing population. They haven't even stopped the bleeding, let alone be on the verge of a boom. Their jobs numbers are improving, but it's not sustained yet.

Top-O-the morning father McKenzi. Maybe you should attend one of the best Saint Patrick’s day parades in the country this weekend and check out Cleveland for yourself. I’m pretty sure you will change the sermon your preaching.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I'm more afraid of entering the Cleveland forum than in the danger of Cleveland having a Seattle-level boom.

I'm well aware of what's going on in Downtown Cleveland and a few other neighborhoods, and I applaud it. But none of that makes it remotely close to a boom. If any other city in Ohio is more poised to see significantly faster growth, it's Cincinnati. Just don't tell Cincinnati posters that or we'll never hear the end of it.
Agree, Cleveland is far from any type of population boom but we know the bleeding has stopped Except for the worst neighborhoods and ghettos. However Cleveland is experiencing a sudden building boom downtown and in several neighborhoods. To be honest , I never thought I would see this resurgence in my lifetime. I thought Cleveland was to far gone. But it’s happening.

Last edited by 1watertiger; 03-14-2019 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 03-14-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Agree, Cleveland is far from any type of population boom but we know the bleeding has stopped Except for the worst neighborhoods and ghettos. However Cleveland is experiencing a sudden building boom downtown and in several neighborhoods. To be honest , I never thought I would see this resurgence in my lifetime. I thought Cleveland was to far gone. But it’s happening.
I actually agree with you. Cleveland is definitely making positive steps that will lead to a better future than it's seen in a long while, but some people get far ahead of themselves on declaring the population issues solved, let alone believing the city's on the edge of a boom. Still a ways to go, but I am rooting for it.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:23 AM

Quote:
I actually agree with you. Cleveland is definitely making positive steps that will lead to a better future than it's seen in a long while, but some people get far ahead of themselves on declaring the population issues solved, let alone believing the city's on the edge of a boom. Still a ways to go, but I am rooting for it.
Here is a very good read why the optimism is so high in Cleveland.

NEOtrans: Cleveland, redefined

Old 03-15-2019, 07:47 AM

654 posts, read 630,550 times
You will need to get used to not just cold weather in the winter, but uncomfortably hot weather in the summer, as well as many many many many cloudy days where you don't see the sun at all. You are going from a climate that has probably 300 comfortable ( highs between 60-85 degrees) days a year, to a climate that has about 50 comfortable days a year. That is a shock. Prepare for it to be uncomfortable outside most of the time and gloomy 8 months out of the year. Oh and spring sucks in Ohio, you get one good day out of 4. The only 4 months you can count on for sun are June- Sept. You will not realize your mistake until you are in Ohio. Plus, Columbus is probably the blandest most generic city of over 500,000 people in the country, there is literally no identity here except Ohio State, and this is coming from a huge Ohio State fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus