U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 04:42 PM

27 posts, read 129,348 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any thoughts on which one of these would be better to move to and raise your kids in? Hubby got a job offer in CW but we wanted to check out other possible places to actually live. We have two kids so good schools (public or private) are a must, as well as safety and family friendly neighborhoods of course so....what are your thoughts....

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 05:27 PM

240 posts, read 883,140 times
Both Canal Winchester and Lancaster are nice communities. Canal has become a suburb of Columbus, whereas Lancaster is more of an independent city (vs. a suburb), being the county seat of Fairfield County. From what I know, I think both communities have decent schools.

Have you considered Pickerington? Pickerington is next door to Canal Winchester and has good schools and relatively affordable housing, although a little more expensive than CW or Lancaster. Definitely suburban in character.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:34 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,364,852 times
I would pick Canal over Lancaster. In Canal you are closer to Columbus and all the associated things to do there (theatres/restaurants/shopping). I believe Canal has a Skyline Chili too, which always is an important factor...

Old 04-26-2008, 09:41 PM

73 posts, read 210,456 times
Depends on what you like. Canal is closer to Cols, but Lancaster is much more like a "town".... sidewalks, neighborhoods, summer art festivals, a great 10 day music festival in the summer (no, not a reason to move to a town, but evidence of a cohesive spirit within the community).

Old 04-27-2008, 06:56 AM

310 posts, read 1,128,514 times
Default Move to Columbus

Both Canal Winchester and Lancaster are charming. Pickerington and Grove City might be good alternatives too.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:12 AM

15 posts, read 58,731 times
I am also interested in this post and to here the replies because Im trying to decide which is better CW or Westerville, they both look great, but can anyone tell me which is better?

Old 04-29-2008, 05:04 PM

10 posts, read 39,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
I am also interested in this post and to here the replies because Im trying to decide which is better CW or Westerville, they both look great, but can anyone tell me which is better?

It depends what you are interested in. Canal is more separated than Westerville. It is further out. Westerville is more in the middle of things. Also I-71/I-270 is very congested and is what you will travel mostly to go to and from Westerville. I consider Canal more rural (relatively speaking) compared to Westerville. Also check out school districts. I believe Westerville schools are more top notch than Canal. Westerville is closer to down town that Canal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus