Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 07:11 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times

Advertisements

I can sit down, eat or drink if I want to, and use the restroom. What is the airport supposed to have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 02:51 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Father_McKenzie View Post
You people have zero idea about Columbus. Just absolutely none. Why are you on this board?

Because we love you THAT much!!!

Quote:
The 41.9 million number came from Longwoods International, not the City of Columbus. Millions of people a year visit the Columbus Zoo. They come from all surrounding states. Visit sometime and see how the Ohio license plates are outnumbered by KY, IN, WV, and MI. Same for Easton whether you think it's just "some mall" or not. Most of these are probably day trips.

That study cites the 17 county area considered Central Ohio, not just the city of Columbus.

Quote:
Not everyone needs to stay in hotels. Almost 1/2 of the visitors were here to see family/friends. Pretty easy to assume >50% of them would stay with whomever they're visiting. Further, only ~25% of the total are overnight visits. So only 27,397 per day need lodging. Easily handled by Columbus's hotel market even if zero people stayed with others.

Max capacity <> "easily"

Quote:
Also think of all the state employees who make day trips for work. Ohio State athletics is a huge bringer. Not just football. All the high school and state amateur sporting events as well. It really doesn't take much thought to figure out where 42 million people would come from and for. That is, unless you're a Cleveland homer who hasn't stepped foot in Columbus in 30 years.

So, people who commute to work are now outside visitors? By that metric, the 480 bridge sees 66 million "visitors" per year and the 2 square miles of downtown Cleveland sees just shy of 36 million. Please, just stop.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:29 AM

212 posts, read 198,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Because we love you THAT much!!!

That study cites the 17 county area considered Central Ohio, not just the city of Columbus.

Max capacity <> "easily"

So, people who commute to work are now outside visitors? By that metric, the 480 bridge sees 66 million "visitors" per year and the 2 square miles of downtown Cleveland sees just shy of 36 million. Please, just stop.
Yes, the region. I never claimed otherwise. In fact the opposite.

Columbus has over 30,000 rooms. Average 1.5 people per room and that's 45,000 visitors per day at full capacity. So again, even if ZERO visitors stayed with whom they're visiting Columbus hotel capacity could easily handle 27,000 daily visitors.

Clearly I meant state employees from Cincinnati, Cleveland, Toledo, etc coming to Columbus. That is not a daily commute, and would be a day trip visitor. Anyway just at the beginning of this comment you confirmed this is a regional stat so people would have to be traveling super far to be considered a visitor. You're embarrasing yourself with your ignorance of Columbus, and inability to understand it gets plenty of visitors. Please, just stop.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:54 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,574 times
Quote:
Yes, the region. I never claimed otherwise. In fact the opposite.

Columbus has over 30,000 rooms. Average 1.5 people per room and that's 45,000 visitors per day at full capacity. So again, even if ZERO visitors stayed with whom they're visiting Columbus hotel capacity could easily handle 27,000 daily visitors.

Clearly I meant state employees from Cincinnati, Cleveland, Toledo, etc coming to Columbus. That is not a daily commute, and would be a day trip visitor. Anyway just at the beginning of this comment you confirmed this is a regional stat so people would have to be traveling super far to be considered a visitor. You're embarrasing yourself with your ignorance of Columbus, and inability to understand it gets plenty of visitors. Please, just stop.
''Columbus gets 42 million visitors a year and the convention business is booming.''

Your quote upthread...doesn't sound like the 17 County Central Ohio Region to those you call ignorant and we all would call misleading and now an attempt to backpedal.

You certainly didn't clarify my points, only challenged them, when I specifically limited these numbers to the City of Columbus; now it's a switch to ''region'' after your misrepresentation that the figures are a 17 County Central Ohio Region.

We get that Columbus gets plenty of visitors but you only used ''Columbus'' and not the 17 county region; that's about 20% of Ohio Counties btw...lol.

No one is being ignorant or embarrassing themselves other than you touting out 42 million visitors in Columbus a year.

Maybe go with ''17 County Central Ohio Region gets 42 million visitors per year.''

Old 11-22-2019, 06:48 AM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
When ever an airport this size goes through a massive renovation and doesn't add a lounge... Either an airline lounge or something that can be accessed through Priority Pass.... I'm disappointed.

Old 11-22-2019, 02:03 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,249,015 times
Quote:
Columbus gets 42 million visitors a year and the convention business is booming.
We are talking about the airport, not overall visitors to Columbus? It's sad. Look at other big cities. Our airport is 50th in the US in passengers. It's a sad joke.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:55 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Columbus gets 42 million visitors a year and the convention business is booming.
Is this true? I thought the high hotel tax rate in Franklin county drove conventions elsewhere.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:42 AM

632 posts, read 831,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
We are talking about the airport, not overall visitors to Columbus? It's sad. Look at other big cities. Our airport is 50th in the US in passengers. It's a sad joke.
I don't know how that's sad? We are in the dead center of 5 other large airports/cities within 2-3 hours (Cincy, Cleveland, Indy, Pittsburgh, Detroit). These airports are 49th, 44th, 46th, 47th, and 19th. Plus add in Lexington, Louisville, Dayton, etc. We will never be a large, destination airport. There's nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by 304eer; 11-25-2019 at 09:52 AM..

Old 11-25-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
''Columbus gets 42 million visitors a year and the convention business is booming.''

Your quote upthread...doesn't sound like the 17 County Central Ohio Region to those you call ignorant and we all would call misleading and now an attempt to backpedal.

You certainly didn't clarify my points, only challenged them, when I specifically limited these numbers to the City of Columbus; now it's a switch to ''region'' after your misrepresentation that the figures are a 17 County Central Ohio Region.

We get that Columbus gets plenty of visitors but you only used ''Columbus'' and not the 17 county region; that's about 20% of Ohio Counties btw...lol.

No one is being ignorant or embarrassing themselves other than you touting out 42 million visitors in Columbus a year.

Maybe go with ''17 County Central Ohio Region gets 42 million visitors per year.''
20% of counties. That doesn't mean anything. What percentage is that in population?

I'm not backtracking. In the context of a conversation like this clearly it means the metro area. I never said Columbus city. Does the airport service only the City of Columbus? Either way, it really doesn't matter. The original quote was that Columbus (the metro) doesn't have a need to expand its airport (which serves the metro) any time soon, because it's not a market (metro) for conventions, etc. Clearly that is wrong.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
You're the one who brought up visitors as a reason for not needing improvements.

"Not sure how much an improvement they can make. Columbus isn’t a hub airport, nor will this town ever be a massive draw for conventions and such. Besides the Arnold Classic weekend, no one flocks to this city really."

-Jbeechuk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus