Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 03:55 PM

17 posts, read 66,168 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I might be moving to Columbus this summer, and we know very little about the area. He will be in grad school at OSU and I will be (hopefully) getting a job as an art teacher. We would like to live in a neighborhood that is either in walking distance to OSU or convenient to public transportation. However, we would like to avoid living in a college partying type neighborhood, seeing as how I will be getting up early to work. Another concern is safety and low crime rate. We will be renting, and would like a one or two bedroom for less than 900 a month. A walkable neighborhood with a local restaurant or store would be a great bonus. Anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 11:58 PM

401 posts, read 2,604,317 times
I highly suggest The Meridian. I have a few friends who live there and it is a really nice place. There are some college students but many working professionals as well. Its pretty close to campus and in a good area. Heres a website where you can check it out - The Meridian in Columbus, OH

Old 04-18-2008, 06:34 AM

3 posts, read 15,168 times
I would have to agree with Scottie, the Grandview area is going to be your best bet if you are looking for a low crime rate and all the things that you listed. Unfortunately, no areas of Grandview are really within walking distance to campus. If you are looking for less of the traditional "party" feel you will probably want to stay on the west side of campus. That will put you at a good distance though if you are trying to walk, I recommend looking into get a bike if that is at all possible, OSU is a very large campus and that would also open up your options as far as distance from campus.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:56 PM

10 posts, read 41,378 times
The short north may be a good area also. There are some great old victorian duplexes in the area. Also check out Upper Arlington, south of Lane Ave, West of Kenny Rd. It is close to Grandview. I like Grandview also. There is a great strip of shops and restaraunts on Grandview Ave.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:28 PM

71 posts, read 424,316 times
I agree with the others, Grandview would be a good area, but if you get much farther West than the Meridian, it's not really walkable to OSU (at least not unless you are going to the med school area). I am currently a grad student and I live just south of campus on King Avenue and have really enjoyed the area. It can be a little shady, but no worse than any other areas around campus/downtown. I can walk or bike to campus easily and there are stores all around (especially over on High Street). I would avoid East campus because that is the big undergrad party area. Watrn had a good suggestion for the Upper Arlington area too, it's not really walkable, but it is a nicer area than near campus yet still affordable. There are some apartments up there that have a good mix of grad students and young families. You might be looking kind of late to find anything decent that's walkable to campus so I would definitely suggest checking out Grandview as your first option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
View detailed profiles of: