U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2020, 02:08 PM

3 posts, read 2,717 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 3 - I am an artist, my husband is an editor (working remotely) and our child will be starting elementary school Fall of 2021.

Primarily looking for people to weigh in on best places to live that have good schools and a community feel. We're familar with Upper Arlington (hubbie grew up there) and while the style of housing is up my alley - they are obviously very expensive for what you get. And we know the schools are excellent. I worry it would be a stuffy, snobby place to raise a child - any truth to that?

We also think Granville seems like it might be a nice fit for us. My only hesitation is if it is a little far to travel to Columbus metro area regularly to visit family and go to events/restaurants? I mean, we are coming from LA and are used to bad traffic but just wondering if anyone has any insight.

Any advice weighing pro/cons of both of these places would be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 03:40 PM

2,107 posts, read 4,716,886 times
The traffic is no where near LA. The downside to Grandville is more the distance and miles you may put on your vehicles. If you are needing access to family in UA multiple times a week, I would cross Granville off the list, though it does fit most everything else. Newark is probably your primary shopping point with occasional trips to New Albany, Westerville or Easton. Trip is probably 20-30 minutes to Easton and 40-60 minutes to Upper Arlington depending on time of day and route. While Columbus, as we established, is not LA, there is traffic and congestion at rush hour peak times.

Perhaps a good compromise is Clintonville? If you are assigned to the primary elementary school, you will be fine in CPS. At the later stages, you can determine if you want to go towards private schools or move to a better rated suburban district for 6-12th grades. Clinton Elementary is well regarded and the northern portion of Clintonville and Beechwold attend Indian Springs.

Worhtington (north of Beechwold) is a separate suburb and school district. Its Old Worthington town center is well-sought after. While not as extensive or dense as UA South of Lane, it has historic charm and good schools. Prices are high but still cheaper than much of the Lane Avenue and south streets in UA or even Grandview Heights.

I would also look at Bexley, which is a landlocked suburb surrounded by Columbus (some OK parts and some pretty bad areas) and Whitehall. Homes are very similar or even more grand than UA's South of Lane. Schools are some of the best in the state as well. Prices will still be high but will be cheaper on the northern or southern versus the central blocks.

Old 05-11-2020, 04:29 PM

Thank you so much for your reply. Tripa to UA probably would only be once per week so maybe that isn't so bad. I will look into Clintonville/Worthington.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations as far as being a working artist goes - would it be more advantageous to be closer to Columbus proper? Does Granville have a good support system for artists?

Thanks!!

Old 05-12-2020, 06:17 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,156,267 times
My wife and I moved from Minneapolis to the Columbus area. We settled in UA. My first choice would have been Clintonville or Grandview Hts, but our son played hockey and we ended up in UA. While there are some stuffy and snobby elements to UA, there are many good features too. Our sons education was awesome and he made many excellent friends that he socializes with even today, years after graduating. His teachers were excellent and class sizes were very reasonable. The “downside” is most kids in high school have cars, whereas when we lived in Minneapolis, the high school students were more into biking or, gasp, even walking to school. Not a big deal, Just a very different culture, with lots of affluence. Our son was one of few without a car, but he managed fine (getting rides from various friends).
I really like UA’s central location—it’s easy to get to downtown, OSU, Short North, Clintonville, along with Bridge Park/Dublin. Lots of interesting neighborhoods, with housing dating back about 100 years. Granville’s a cute town, but I myself prefer being in the metro area. I’m not sure how good their schools are, but I’ve always thought Westerville is a nice community with their own downtown, walkable neighborhoods and a college. Actually most suburbs of Columbus have their own downtown, which enhances their sense of community identity: Worthington, Bexley & Dublin are some of my favorites.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:15 AM

2,107 posts, read 4,716,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanrock View Post
Thank you so much for your reply. Tripa to UA probably would only be once per week so maybe that isn't so bad. I will look into Clintonville/Worthington.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations as far as being a working artist goes - would it be more advantageous to be closer to Columbus proper? Does Granville have a good support system for artists?

Thanks!!
Your welcome. As far as the art scene goes, I do not know much about Granville, though with Denison University there may be a small one.

I think art scene will be bigger in Columbus proper. Not so much Short North, which while still a destination, it is expensive for rent. Thus I have heard many have moved galleries to other neighborhoods near downtown. I am too far removed now to know exactly where the art scene is in Columbus, but it will certainly be bigger there. I think I have found a slightly bigger art scene in Cincinnati and Cleveland has an even bigger one, especially around its Museums.

With a number of fashion chains in Columbus or surrounding suburbs, fashion is a big part of Columbus' economy. I believe it is one of the bigger fashion economic markets outside NYC and LA for the US. Depending on what kind of art or design you are into, that may also influence the type of art in the metro. OSU also contributes to the art scene as well.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:46 PM

Thanks for all the info. We obviously have a lot of exploring to do as I've only ever been to UA and Dublin.

When I did look into Clintonville the school grades there weren't very good - but I did like the houses listed.

Old 06-04-2020, 02:28 AM

376 posts, read 609,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanrock View Post
We are a family of 3 - I am an artist, my husband is an editor (working remotely) and our child will be starting elementary school Fall of 2021.

Primarily looking for people to weigh in on best places to live that have good schools and a community feel. We're familar with Upper Arlington (hubbie grew up there) and while the style of housing is up my alley - they are obviously very expensive for what you get. And we know the schools are excellent. I worry it would be a stuffy, snobby place to raise a child - any truth to that?

We also think Granville seems like it might be a nice fit for us. My only hesitation is if it is a little far to travel to Columbus metro area regularly to visit family and go to events/restaurants? I mean, we are coming from LA and are used to bad traffic but just wondering if anyone has any insight.

Any advice weighing pro/cons of both of these places would be greatly appreciated!
UA is very white and conservative. That's not a criticism; just pointing it out. Good schools.

Bexley has good schools, charming homes. Can get pricey. But there are some bargains.

Grandview (south of UA) is good.

Granville (about 30-45 mins east of Columbus) is charming. Small college town. The drive is tolerable.

Worthington, Dublin, New Albany also have top rated schools. But are very "suburban" in their feel.

It depends on your budget too. Columbus has something for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus