Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:07 AM

555 posts, read 1,572,961 times

Advertisements

Generally Bad Areas:
Franklinton
Hilltop
Linden
Far South Side (By Buckeye Steel...if it's still called that)
Waverly Street area
East Columbus/Krumm Park
Milo-Grogan
Urbancrest

Generally Good Areas:
Bexley
Grandview Heights
Upper Arlington
Vic. Village
German Village
Westgate (can be spotty, so watch out)
Berwick
Clintonville
...and most communities outside the outerbelt.

For the most part, if you're in one of the "bad" areas, just mind your own business and you should be fine. We're not Detroit where gangs control neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 11:32 AM

56 posts, read 219,348 times
How about the neighborhoods around Riverside Hospital? More value for the money, I think. Also, how about the Bethel Road area between 315 and Sawmill. And Riverside Green.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:36 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,069,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweezy View Post
in the 80s i lived on the east side oak and wilson in the 90s i lived on the north side 25th and cleveland ave. i now live in baltimore and just wondered what are bad areas in columbus now.
None as bad as Baltimore

Old 01-07-2010, 01:50 PM

797 posts, read 2,337,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oola View Post
I looking at coming to Columbus, Oh for my vacation for 1-2 weeks and I think this is really helpful to know. Without this information I would not be able to make a good place of where I want to go for vacation. I would like to be in a safe area place.
Thank you, Oola
There are plenty of areas, most in fact, in the Columbus metro that are perfectly safe. If you could let folks know what you're interested in doing here they might be able to give you more specifics about where to go.

Out of curiosity, is this for a trip several months from now or are you actually crazy enough to vacation in Columbus, OH in January/February?

Old 01-07-2010, 01:51 PM

797 posts, read 2,337,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlofthebeach View Post
How about the neighborhoods around Riverside Hospital? More value for the money, I think. Also, how about the Bethel Road area between 315 and Sawmill. And Riverside Green.
These neighborhoods aren't bad at all.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:57 PM

29 posts, read 104,250 times
Quote:
and want to have a good time.
Why would you possibly want to vacation in Columbus?

Old 01-07-2010, 09:47 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times
Quote:
I looking at coming to Columbus, Oh for my vacation for 1-2 weeks and I think this is really helpful to know. Without this information I would not be able to make a good place of where I want to go for vacation. I would like to be in a safe area place.
Thank you, Oola
You're vacationing in Columbus? Does your travel agent hate you?

Old 04-09-2011, 04:59 AM

2 posts, read 66,974 times
I was born in columbus ohio and lived in the bottoms until 1986 i then moved to dallas texas where i have been living for the past 25 years back in the 80s i was never afraid in the bottoms i was searching this web site becouse i was thinking about moving back to columbus becouse the gangs and drugs are so bad here i thought it may be a better place for my children but after reading this i think dallas is safer than columbus wow it is hard to believe the west side has gotten that bad guess ill stay in dallas

Old 04-09-2011, 08:05 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEE MAD View Post
I was born in columbus ohio and lived in the bottoms until 1986 i then moved to dallas texas where i have been living for the past 25 years back in the 80s i was never afraid in the bottoms i was searching this web site becouse i was thinking about moving back to columbus becouse the gangs and drugs are so bad here i thought it may be a better place for my children but after reading this i think dallas is safer than columbus wow it is hard to believe the west side has gotten that bad guess ill stay in dallas
I live in one of the supposedly worst neighborhoods of the city: Hilltop. I have never had a single issue personally and never really felt in danger. Crime happens here, of course, but it seems to happen mostly to people who are involved in doing something wrong to begin with. If this is one of the worst places, I think Columbus is a pretty safe city for its size.

Also, both Franklinton and Hilltop are seeing a lot more investment and recent revitalization plans in the last few years, moreso than probably the past 20-30 years combined.

And for the record, Dallas has a higher crime rate than Columbus, including total violent crimes and murder. You shouldn't base a move on what people say here anyway. The stats are out there if you just did the research.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:13 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Also, both Franklinton and Hilltop are seeing a lot more investment and recent revitalization plans in the last few years, moreso than probably the past 20-30 years combined.
Until they fix West Broad Street, those areas are going to continue to remain rather downtrodden. Throwing the ODOT HQ out there was nice and all, but there has been pretty much no corresponding development--particularly to the west. I have two very good friends who live in Westgate, which is by all rights a fine, middle class residential neighborhood. But it's just not close to anything, and West Broad itself is a real pit. One of them told me that Dan Dougan (former Stache's/Little Brother's owner), who lives next door to them, was talking about opening a coffee shop/cafe-type of place, but that was a couple of years ago.

The city really needs to focus on the rehabilitation of that corridor. I hope they can, because there's lot of potential there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus