Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 05:58 PM

11,044 posts, read 12,306,095 times

Advertisements

I live in Columbus kinda part time. I currently have a place in Northland, but the area is frankly not great. Some of the shenanigans I'd be willing to put up with if it were at all walkable or attractive, which it is not (there aren't even sidewalks on the block). Problem is, anywhere remotely walkable or attractive with things going on have some of the most unreasonable prices. I.e. places like Clintonville, Worthington, Grandview, German Village etc very much not in the picture at all.

There have to be some sleeper neighborhoods though.... right? How about Franklinton? Olde Town East? Merion Village? Hungarian Village? Linden? It seems like some of these central areas just to the south of downtown might have some potential, but pretty much anywhere further south is just as dull and ugly as Northland. And anything to the north is way too pricey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2023, 01:56 PM

654 posts, read 618,279 times
It's interesting that the areas next to the three OG regional malls, now all closed, have become three of the worst areas to live in the metro.

Old 03-10-2023, 02:15 PM

509 posts, read 767,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
How about Franklinton? Olde Town East? Merion Village? Hungarian Village? Linden? It seems like some of these central areas just to the south of downtown might have some potential,
Yeah I think you pretty much said it. Though OTE is expensive now.

But to the west - certain blocks of Hilltop, and then Westgate.
South - the area just east of Parsons/South of Livingston is improving.
There are other pockets here and there, you just have to look. Like northwest, off Dublin-Grandview rd. And pockets just east or west of 71.

Old 03-12-2023, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin183 View Post
Yeah I think you pretty much said it. Though OTE is expensive now.

But to the west - certain blocks of Hilltop, and then Westgate.
South - the area just east of Parsons/South of Livingston is improving.
There are other pockets here and there, you just have to look. Like northwest, off Dublin-Grandview rd. And pockets just east or west of 71.
Thanks for the input. Out of curiosity, what parts of Hilltop/Westgate would you recommend looking into? I have spent very little time there, always been told it's the worst part of Cbus.

Old 03-12-2023, 10:57 PM

509 posts, read 767,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Thanks for the input. Out of curiosity, what parts of Hilltop/Westgate would you recommend looking into? I have spent very little time there, always been told it's the worst part of Cbus.
I don't know why anyone would say that. If you've been to all parts of Columbus you'll know that Westgate is certainly not the worst part. It's a nice neighborhood. Parts of Hilltop are quite rough though yes. But Franklinton was rougher, but is quickly gentrifying with all the new development.
If you're looking for walkable with cafes and stuff, then Hilltop is probably still not there yet. You would probably want something like Merion Village or Old North/South Clintonville.

But it really depends on what you're looking for. If you just want some quaint downtown square with a bit of charm there are small towns outside of Columbus.

Do you just want sidewalks? Do you want parks? Do you want nightlife? etc etc

Old 03-14-2023, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin183 View Post
I don't know why anyone would say that. If you've been to all parts of Columbus you'll know that Westgate is certainly not the worst part. It's a nice neighborhood. Parts of Hilltop are quite rough though yes. But Franklinton was rougher, but is quickly gentrifying with all the new development.
If you're looking for walkable with cafes and stuff, then Hilltop is probably still not there yet. You would probably want something like Merion Village or Old North/South Clintonville.

But it really depends on what you're looking for. If you just want some quaint downtown square with a bit of charm there are small towns outside of Columbus.

Do you just want sidewalks? Do you want parks? Do you want nightlife? etc etc
Westgate seems like a decent place, just doing some streetviewing around, reminds me of Euclid, very close to where I live in Cleveland. I'll be around Cbus this weekend so I'll check it out. I don't really care about being around nightlife much, but it's nice to be able to walk to one or two good local cafes or bars, library, grocery, maybe a couple casual dining options. Public transit to downtown is also desirable, looks like Sullivant or Broad bus lines have that covered.

Merion Village seems preferable to me personally, but not affordable imo Going by zillow, the only home available for sale now is $265k, and it is not even half the size as my house in Cleveland, yet costs twice as much. Looks like in Westgate anywhere between 150-250 does pretty well. Anywhere in Clintonville would be out of the question due to cost as well. Especially since at the moment at least, the plan would be to maintain homes in both Columbus and Cleveland. Right now I rent a room out of my Cle house, would do something similar at a new place in Cbus, or possibly interested in a duplex to facilitate that a little easier.

Old 03-14-2023, 10:18 AM

488 posts, read 855,823 times
I'd look at Beechwold, especially the areas north of Morse Road to the east of High Street. Walkable and less expensive than Clintonville.
Another area would be Eastmoor, but make sure you stay west of James Road. Berwick would be an east side choice, but not sure if the prices would meet your criteria.
There's an area near Grandview called 5XNW that's popular and walkable to everything on Grandview Ave. and 5th Avenue.
Maybe the older part of Reynoldsburg near Main and Lancaster Avenue - walkable to bars and restaurants and COTA service to downtown.
So many of the walkable areas whether in Columbus or the suburbs (Bexley, Grandview, UA, etc.) are really expensive.

Old 04-05-2023, 09:10 AM

49,955 posts, read 63,265,686 times
My granddaughter is contingent on a house (mid $200k) in South Columbus….Merion? area. It’s so nice that a kid can still afford a starter house in some places. The area is supposedly very walkable.

Old 04-20-2023, 04:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,315 times
Hey everyone! I am considering to move to Gahanna. What are streets the best there to live and avoid as well? Where I can find a home personnel and pest services there?

Old 05-19-2023, 02:03 PM

Just following up. The place this seems the most like this is probably Merion Village. But prices still a bit high for what you get. Parts of Hilltop seem ok but still not super walkable and feels like you’d need to leave pretty often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus