Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2023, 11:21 AM

19 posts, read 14,406 times

Advertisements

In the early 1980's a magazine titled, "Living Single" was published in Columbus. I had a subscription to it for awhile. It ceased publication within a few years (don't know exactly when it ended) but I found it interesting and still believe it may have been a bit ahead of it's times. Today I think it may appeal to GenZ's and many in the Van Life Movement who live single in their Vans and work remotely while traveling and looking for a better life.

Every now and then an old issue pops up on ebay. I've searched and searched and haven't found much information. Even WIKI contains nothing regarding the Magazine. Most searches return the TV Show Living Single but most young people aren't watching TV as they did in earlier generations.

I'd like to know more about the publication, so if you were a subscriber please share what you know.
These two covers are all I've been able to find online.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2023, 02:14 AM

19 posts, read 14,406 times
When I was saying that I thought the Living Single Magazine was a bit (2 decades) ahead of it's time I think the statistics today bear out this conclusion. There are all kinds of sources bearing this information out today. These stats below are taken from only one.

This may also be interesting to Boomers who struggle to understand their kids & grandkids lifestyle choices.

This from Briana MacWilliams "Attachment in Adult Relationships" site:

Millennials:

72% of millennials make a conscious decision to be single

81% say that being single benefits them beyond their romantic lives as they’re able
to make new friends, have more time for personal wellness, and be more dedicated
to their work.

22% of millennial females and 16% of millennial males say they want to date someone with a college degree.
Quote:
As of January 2022, only 51% of Gen Z teens are interested in pursuing a four-year degree, down from 71 percent in May 2020, according to a recent study by ECMC Group. And over two years, there was a 6.6% decline in total undergraduate enrollment between fall 2019 and fall 2021. Google
Gen Z:

75% of Gen Z's are single

71% of Gen Z's say that it's a deal breaker if a potential match has different political views than theirs.

30% of millennals and Gen Z's say that their financial situation is holding them back from dating.

75% of millennials and Gen Z think people who date should split the costs, at least sometimes. 38% of Gen Z think it should always be split, versus 28% of millennials

Nearly half of wealthier millennials and Gen Z daters say they prioritize income and wealth as dating factors.

14% of millennials and 11% of Gen Zers met at work.
Quote:
Many people meet their mate at work, but savvy employers know that love is complicated. When romance is in the air at work, an employer may be faced with gossip, lovers' quarrels, and distracted employees. Even worse, this may lead to sexual harassment, retaliation, favoritism, and workplace violence. Google
Only 29% of millennials and Gen Zers were married in 2018 versus 59% of 18-to-34-year-olds in 1978.

If you would like to read loads more of the statistical data (with citations) on this matter you could visit this site:

https://brianamacwilliam.com/millenn...ng-statistics/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
View detailed profiles of: