Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city do you think is the most unique
Columbus 4 8.51%
Cincinnati 30 63.83%
dayton 3 6.38%
cleveland 10 21.28%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 12:27 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,633,857 times

Advertisements

American culture is fast food and superhero movies…let’s not kid ourselves that people still live like their immigrant forefathers from 150 years ago. And most of the “culture” I see from my immigrant neighbors involves heavy drinking and bad driving.
“Diversity” exists everywhere (except maybe HOAs) because every human being on Earth is diverse from the other in thoughts and personality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2023, 05:34 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,143,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Dang we are getting into Catholic-Protestant territory lmao. Not reaching at all.

Columbus btw the least religious of any major Ohio cities by far. So I'm not sure what is so particularly "Protestant" about Columbus. Btw German Village was largely a Bavarian (i.e. Catholic) phenomenon. St. Mary's Church still stands in testament to this.

My question is where the Orthodox fit into all this.
Mainline Protestants are not as overt about religion, but that's what the heritage is around here. It wasn't a big industrial city that attracted a lot of Catholics. But I don't care what God you pray to as much as I'm interested in the cultural attributes of these societies, and the Northern European Protestant countries are the best as far as I'm concerned. I come from a s*** hole Southern European country, or at least that's where my heritage is from.

The Orthodox are Catholics, just not Roman. In fact, the word Catholic comes from the Greek word catholicos, which means universal. As in, the universal faith. One Serbian priest I heard giving a lecture essentially said that the Orthodox would call themselves Catholic if the Romans hadn't taken the word first.

But same difference. Cutting corners, little bit of a sleazy way of doing business. A little bit lax when it comes to rule of law. Not everybody, of course. But enough that it has a corrosive effect on society. For example, the mafia.

Drive through the southwest and picture yourself taking the same road into Mexico. How is it that we can make a barren wasteland work and Mexico can't? It's the Protestant way of doing things.

Old 12-27-2023, 05:43 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
Mainline Protestants are not as overt about religion, but that's what the heritage is around here. It wasn't a big industrial city that attracted a lot of Catholics. But I don't care what God you pray to as much as I'm interested in the cultural attributes of these societies, and the Northern European Protestant countries are the best as far as I'm concerned. I come from a s*** hole Southern European country, or at least that's where my heritage is from.

The Orthodox are Catholics, just not Roman. In fact, the word Catholic comes from the Greek word catholicos, which means universal. As in, the universal faith. One Serbian priest I heard giving a lecture essentially said that the Orthodox would call themselves Catholic if the Romans hadn't taken the word first.

But same difference. Cutting corners, little bit of a sleazy way of doing business. A little bit lax when it comes to rule of law. Not everybody, of course. But enough that it has a corrosive effect on society. For example, the mafia.

Drive through the southwest and picture yourself taking the same road into Mexico. How is it that we can make a barren wasteland work and Mexico can't. It's the Protestant way of doing things.
You don’t know who you’re talking to here when you bring up Catholicism and Orthodoxy lol not your fault. But of course you are wrong. The Orthodox and Catholics are not part of the same church. Using the Greek term to mean “universal” is totally fine, many protestants identify themselves with lower case c “catholic” as well. Upper Case C Catholic refers to the Church headed by the Pope of Rome. The Orthodox do not submit to Papal authority and as such are not “Catholic” (though they do claim to be “catholic”). If they did accept Papal authority, they would be Eastern Catholics, like St. john Chrysostom on Cleveland Avenue.

Regardless, the whole Protestant thing is bs, Columbusites are non religious, fact. Catholic countries are the most beloved world wide by all peopl, regardless of ethnic or religious background.

Old 12-27-2023, 07:49 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,091,757 times
Once again, whoever created and titled this thread must have been, as usual, an insecure Columbusite with an urban inferiority complex... Clevelanders and Cincinnatians don't creat such paranoid threads.

Old 12-27-2023, 08:14 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,132 times
Columbus does not seem unique. To me it is the stereotype for "anytown USA".

IMO Cincinnati is much more unique and has an identity.

Neither is good or bad just my take on the question

Old 12-28-2023, 12:50 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,143,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
You don’t know who you’re talking to here when you bring up Catholicism and Orthodoxy lol not your fault. But of course you are wrong. The Orthodox and Catholics are not part of the same church. Using the Greek term to mean “universal” is totally fine, many protestants identify themselves with lower case c “catholic” as well. Upper Case C Catholic refers to the Church headed by the Pope of Rome. The Orthodox do not submit to Papal authority and as such are not “Catholic” (though they do claim to be “catholic”). If they did accept Papal authority, they would be Eastern Catholics, like St. john Chrysostom on Cleveland Avenue.

Regardless, the whole Protestant thing is bs, Columbusites are non religious, fact. Catholic countries are the most beloved world wide by all peopl, regardless of ethnic or religious background.
It's you who doesn't know what he's talking about. The official name of the what are colloquially known as the Orthodox Churches is "The One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church". Orthodox is a garbled translation of "The True Faith."

Rome was just the home of another Bishop, along with Alexandria, Constantinople, Antioch, Jerusalem and wherever else there were Bishops. It was one church and the Roman church was the first among equals in terms of prestige. Then the Roman bishop wanted to extend his primacy over the other Bishops and they did not want to fall under Rome.

They are ALL Catholic but Rome is Roman Catholic, which is a realm of its own.

Very little separates the Roman Catholic Church from the Orthodox Catholic Churches theologically. Form over substance. It is more turf war than anything else.

As my cousin says, Burger King, Wendy's, McDonald's. It's basically just a different burger franchise.

See: https://holycrosssacramento.org/orthodoxy

Last edited by PerryMason614; 12-28-2023 at 01:03 AM..

Old 12-28-2023, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
It's you who doesn't know what he's talking about. The official name of the what are colloquially known as the Orthodox Churches is "The One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church". Orthodox is a garbled translation of "The True Faith."

Rome was just the home of another Bishop, along with Alexandria, Constantinople, Antioch, Jerusalem and wherever else there were Bishops. It was one church and the Roman church was the first among equals in terms of prestige. Then the Roman bishop wanted to extend his primacy over the other Bishops and they did not want to fall under Rome.

They are ALL Catholic but Rome is Roman Catholic, which is a realm of its own.

Very little separates the Roman Catholic Church from the Orthodox Catholic Churches theologically. Form over substance. It is more turf war than anything else.

As my cousin says, Burger King, Wendy's, McDonald's. It's basically just a different burger franchise.

See: https://holycrosssacramento.org/orthodoxy
this is so tiresome. lower case c and capital C is the explanation you are ignoring. No Orthodox consider themselves in league with Roman Catholicism.

This is honestly just so stupid and major cope for Columbus being by far the most unremarkable, boring, overrated place in the midwest. For God's sake. I wish I lived just about anywhere else in Ohio. Canton or Warren would be a breath of fresh air.

Old 12-28-2023, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Once again, whoever created and titled this thread must have been, as usual, an insecure Columbusite with an urban inferiority complex... Clevelanders and Cincinnatians don't creat such paranoid threads.
Home boy is about to lecture us on Max Weber and how actually Columbus's deep roots as a Protestant Christian hotbed make it the most hard working and productive place on the planet.

Old 12-28-2023, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Columbus does not seem unique. To me it is the stereotype for "anytown USA".

IMO Cincinnati is much more unique and has an identity.

Neither is good or bad just my take on the question
I frequently walk around Columbus, which is no easy task given that most of the city doesn't have sidwalks, and think to myself how that if I didn't know I were in Columbus, I'd honestly be at a complete loss as to where I was.

Old 12-28-2023, 05:45 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
I'm still curious why the contest (at least per the title) isn't between Cleveland and Cincinnati. Columbus just seems...blah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus