U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 10:46 AM

455 posts, read 1,801,996 times

Advertisements

...and I spent 36 years of my life growing up within the neighborhoods being discussed and watched them develop into what they are today. I don't have to be gay to know what constitutes a SUBSTANTIAL gay population and a neighborhood that might have a small network of your friends living in it. You can probably find any number of couples in Lewis Center or New Albany but would you steer someone who is gay and just arriving to Columbus to either of these locations?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 11:06 AM

35 posts, read 127,289 times
So you are saying that over the last 36 yrs, you grew up in German Village, Short North, Victorian Village, Clintonville, Merion Village, West Gate, Worthington, Berwick etc?

Secondly, how do you know that West Gate isn't the same West Gate as it was 36 yrs ago? I know 16 gay couples who own homes in West Gate. And that's just my limited network as the couples I know are aware of other gay couples living in the area.

How do you determine if an area is gay or not? You mentioned rainbow flags before...

Old 02-06-2009, 12:16 PM

Yes... My mother was a server at various GV establishments way back when (Palmer Haus *which later became Lindey's*, Burgermeister etc) and we lived in apartments all over that area including what is now Merion Village. It was sort of a bad area at the time and I remember driving around looking for places to live and being an upset little boy because only half of the houses had windows. We later moved to the Short North at 3rd & Harrison and eventually Clintonville across from the park of roses during my high school years. I spent my moped-riding youth up and down High Street in and out of these places and eventually ended up living in around 10 different apartments within a half mile radius of Goodale Park after college. Most of my friends *who just so happen to mostly be gay* were all migrating to OTE when I left for Cincinnati two years ago. I guess the spillover had to occur and it was OTE, not Merion Village, that received the majority of these gay urban pioneers/transplants. MV is merely the southern extension of GV and is just as infultrated by straight young professionals and/or aging divorcees.

I recommend Short North but darlameow is correct in that Victorian Village and Harrison West are back in that neighborhood and 'beyond high street' should be explored. Columbus as a whole is a very friendly and welcoming city for gay and lesbian singles/couples looking to relocate. Please don't take my comments as anything other than trying to help.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:27 PM

So you're saying you determine a gayborhood by where your friends move? I am not disagreeing with you about OTE. But what you're saying is that MV and Clintonville are not as gay as OTE and that's not true. Clintonville is much more gay than MV but many of my friends say that MV is a nice upcoming area and an alternative to the pricier Clintonville, Short North etc. West Gate is extremely gay. Many gay couples moved to Berwick.

Sure, Columbus has a huge gay population and there are pockets of gayborhoods throughout the city. But to say that OTE is the place just because a few friends moved there a few years ago doesn't make it the only place to be.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:39 PM

I didn't say it was the only place. I am only trying to give the OP an idea of the exact epicenter of what I believe is not only the largest (strongest and influential) gay community in Columbus, but the entire midwestern US. That would be the Short North. OTE is growing faster than all of the other mentioned areas combined so I listed that as a good place to look.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:48 PM

You're sending her to the Short North when she is looking for a laid back area? She also has a kid so schools would obviously be an issue.

The issue that I have with one of your previous post "The others I didn't mention shouldn't have been included at all in this thread. " This statement is untrue and there are many gayborhoods around Cbus.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:25 PM

Ok, so I was being a bit of a snob there and had a few too many cocktails write that over-statement for me last night... but yes, Columbus Public has a great alternative program regardless of location. I might not be a good example but ended up a graduate of CAHS which is an educational experience I would recommend highly. The neighborhoods away from High Street are very laid back if you venture west beyond Neil Avenue between 1st and 5th. They could even look as far north as King Ave back in that area and it stays nice and dreamy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus