U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 08:56 AM

14 posts, read 65,125 times

Advertisements

What are some of the more laid-back, accepting, diverse neighborhoods?

I live in Memphis, TN, and for the most part, the area we know as Midtown is the most diverse and liberal part of town. There is probably a higher gay population in Midtown than in the suburbs.

My g/f and I are considering moving to Columbus in the next few years. She has a 9yo boy, so schools would need to be an important factor as well.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 06:53 AM

2 posts, read 12,418 times
As far as gay friendly neighborhoods, I think German Village and the Short North would probably the best. Those are both in the Columbus Public School district. As far as suburbs, Worthington is pretty diverse and laid back and may be a good choice.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:11 PM

14 posts, read 65,125 times
Thanks!

Old 02-05-2009, 01:53 PM

80 posts, read 262,336 times
Merion Village is diverse and gay friendly as well, and maybe even more family oriented (gay or straight ) than nearby German Village. Cost of living is a bit lower in Merion Village as well. I like Merion Village because one can enjoy GV life but not pay GV house or rent payments.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:22 PM

35 posts, read 127,089 times
Berwick which is south of Bexley and Westgate are diverse. Clintonville which is north of campus is extremely diverse.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:26 PM

61 posts, read 246,359 times
If schools are important factor you may want to look at the Worthington area. Worthington has better schools than Columbus.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:59 PM

455 posts, read 1,800,078 times
Short North/Vic Village is very good. GV is now mostly divorced (straight) attorneys since the gay population mostly cashed out to conquer other urban projects. Clintonville is not as liberal as people will have you think here...they get the lesbian status for no good reason whatsoever and you will find more multi-children families than rainbow flags there by a 95% to 5% ratio. Olde Towne East is a good area to find a gay-friendly community. The others I didn't mention shouldn't have been included at all in this thread.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:59 AM

The short north and victorian village do have a gay population. But, you need to go beyond High St. and realize that like German Village, the Short North has priced out many gay people. Ironically, you say Clintonville is not as liberal but yet, there are several lesbians who live in the area. FYI - lesbians have multi-children families and not all gay people put a rainbow flag on their porch.

Lastly, a lot of gay men live in Olde Towne East. I would be concerned with the crime in the area. And for you to say that all other areas in this thread shouldn't be included ... Well that's just plain nonsense.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:16 AM

455 posts, read 1,800,078 times
I am just saying that Merion Village and Berwick are no more known for having a substantial gay community than Dublin or Westerville. I suppose you could just say that most of the city is gay friendly if you use a loose enough standard.

Clintonville has no more of a lesbian community than any other near suburb in Columbus. Of course you realize I am talking about the heart of Clintonville north of Weber up to Cooke Rd where people own homes instead of the fringe rental areas around Arcadia towards Hudson that might as well be North Campus. Still, the southern border neighborhood that spills into places like O'Reilly's is nothing more than grad students with no more of an emphasis on lesbian community than...oh, let's say Grandview.

Last edited by HuskerDu; 02-06-2009 at 08:29 AM..

Old 02-06-2009, 09:41 AM

Really? You don't think Berwick has a gay population? How are you so sure of this?

And Merion Village -- I think you're wrong on this too.

I know where my friends live and the "gay communities" as I am a member of the gay community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus