Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 09:46 AM

10 posts, read 18,707 times

Advertisements

A male nurse,married with three children age 1, 5 and 6 yrs. We want a city where we can call live, raise our kids and call a dream city. We are immigrant from Africa and have been living in a different city in North-East for 6yrs. We want to know if Columbus is a family friendly and good for raising kids. Also, want to find out if the city is friendly to other racial and cultural groups. If there are nurses in this forum, would you please let me know the job prospects for nurses in Denver, and colleges that offer MSN program in the city. We are liberal, christians, and peace-loving family. Which part of the city will be favorable for us, and with good public schools for our kids. We are planning on, firstly, moving to Apartment and then buy a house later.

[+] Rate this post positively
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 02:27 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
You shouldn't have any significant problems, Columbus is pretty easy going and accepting. Of course, individuals vary, so your neighbor could be a jerk. That can happen anywhere.

Regarding areas, I would start out by checking Gahanna and Westerville then expand out from there if you don't like these choices.

Gahanna, Ohio (OH) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Westerville, Ohio (OH) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Old 06-27-2008, 10:48 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,222,412 times
you'll be fine....Columbus has a highly educated population..you won't have probblems...now cincinnati on the other hand.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:49 AM

455 posts, read 1,885,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
now cincinnati on the other hand.
...has more character, a river, better architecture and is much more diverse.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:04 AM

240 posts, read 954,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
...has more character, a river, better architecture and is much more diverse.
I think your perspective is somewhat 'dated' with regard to diversity in Columbus. Cincinnati is a great town and diverse, don't get me wrong. However, Columbus has seen an influx of many people from many different backgrounds & cultures: East Asian, South Asian, Latino, Somali, etc., etc. That diversity extends to most of the suburban school districts (moreso on the outerbelt than say, for instance, UA).

Old 06-28-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgfalcons86 View Post
I think your perspective is somewhat 'dated' with regard to diversity in Columbus. Cincinnati is a great town and diverse, don't get me wrong. However, Columbus has seen an influx of many people from many different backgrounds & cultures: East Asian, South Asian, Latino, Somali, etc., etc. That diversity extends to most of the suburban school districts (moreso on the outerbelt than say, for instance, UA).
My view, as a native american who grew up there, is dated only by a year and a few months. Columbus is milk-toast white bread at best, with minorities mostly brushed under the rug or displaced out into the crappy near suburbs east and north of the newly gentrified urban center.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:53 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,222,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
My view, as a native american who grew up there, is dated only by a year and a few months. Columbus is milk-toast white bread at best, with minorities mostly brushed under the rug or displaced out into the crappy near suburbs east and north of the newly gentrified urban center.
and my view as afro latino shows Cincy as about diverse republican convention with severe police brutality against minorities which generally reflects on local culture and values at large. I mean their was a reason the justice department reviewed the entire police force. I'll pass on the river and architecture.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:15 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,376,312 times
thats why in my opinion cleveland is the only world-class city with the most culture in our state. (80 spoken languages, 114 nationalities represented). nothing in ohio comes close, and only a few cities in the country can boast of more !!!

Old 06-28-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
and my view as afro latino shows Cincy as about diverse republican convention with severe police brutality against minorities which generally reflects on local culture and values at large. I mean their was a reason the justice department reviewed the entire police force. I'll pass on the river and architecture.
Have you ever lived in Cincinnati? Please do tell of the horrid experiences that you encountered first hand.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:42 PM

10 posts, read 18,707 times
Thanks you all. God Bless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus