Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 06:47 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,675,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I love how you tout off cultural attractions like Wexner or Columbus Art Museum, I bet you rarely visit these places that you have mentioned. . .

I also love the word 'progressive', please define. To me progressive means someone who lives in New York City not someone who lives in Columbus, Ohio.
I live in the central city 6 blocks from the Wexner Center. I think that your comment speaks volumes, as to how much Columbus has grown into a large American city.

We live in a place that is so diverse (in lifestyle, economically, race, and sexual orientation) that you and I can live in the same city and I can be involved in social activities (with thousands of others) that you have never attended or even have knowledge of.

A large city is a place with so many complex levels of entertainment and culuture that one person's point of view comes from a vastly differing background and culture than anothers.

I will say that I am a young professional, living in a diverse neighborhood of central city Columbus, working in downtown, and I socialize in circles of other educated young professionals etc..

Most likely my point of view is going to lend itself more accurately to a post regarding an urban, young professional Columbus lifestyle.

When I am not busy working (like every other American) I enjoy spending time at all of the various and great cultural institutions of this fine city.

I suggest you visit the Wexner Center Website and the Columbus Alive Website

Here is a listing of all upcoming Wexner Center attractions, including the current Andy Warhol Exhibit. The largest in the world outside of the center in Pittsburgh.
Wexner Center for the Arts

Columbus Alive has a complete rundown of weekly Columbus arts, sporting, festivals, events and more.

Columbus Alive : columbusalive.com

Regarding Age & Young Professionals in Columbus..

After the 2006 census update, Columbus is the second youngest city (not including college students) in the Country. Our median age is 31 years old. Only, Dallas Texas has a median age this young.

Also, Columbus is known to be a white collar city with a larger percent of the population with a college degree than many other middle/large Midwestern and US cities.

These aspects combine to create a city that is very welcoming to transplants and young professionals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 07:34 PM

150 posts, read 981,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey8522 View Post
Columbus, OH review from a fed-up upstate New Yorker who is moving back to NY

Pros (1):

* Lots of chains stores and restaurants (f you are into that)

Cons (12):

* Surprisingly bad crime: including serial rapist on the loose, murders, theft, and break-ins.
* Surprisingly bad traffic between the morning rush and the evening rush from 4-6 on all the major highways
* Central Ohioans tend to be slow and incompetent drivers, often slowing down traffic due to their slow driving tendencies. It often takes a while to get anywhere in this town.
* The areas infested with parking meters have parking meter fairy hawks that often give you a citation within minutes of time being expired. And our lovely city mayor wants to INCREASE the rates.
* Cops love to pull people over for barely going over the speed limit and really for any reason at all, and they love to slam you with as many citations as possible, and construction traffic drivers BEWARE.
* Lack of cultural diversity
* Lack of intrinsic culture and uniqueness (except for save, Ohio State Football Season)
* Which brings me to: Ohio State Football season, if you are not an Ohioan you will come to loathe the term “Buckeye.”
* Bad pizza (truly Ohio Pizza is nasty, and NY pizza is unavailable here)
* Everyone around you is obese as Columbus is the 7th fattest city in the country.
* Lastly don’t let the pictures and nice internet web pages fool you about Columbus, Columbus is the worst, Nashville TN tops Columbus, and we’re talking about Naaashville, TN

*** As a final note people say Columbus is "typical" by that they mean boring and bland, so if you want boring and bland come to Columbus.
I am a young professional, moved from DC to Columbus, and went to grad school here.

There are a lot of chain stores and restaurants, but the great thing is, you don't have to go to those stores or restaurants! There are also boutique shops and non-chain restaurants. I rarely eat at a chain restaurant (the exception being an occasional lunch with coworkers) and I haven't starved yet! I despise going to the malls when there are crowds, especially Easton. Seeing people waiting in herds for two hours for the fatty food at Cheesecake Factory makes me sick. If you've been hanging out at the malls and chain restaurants I can understand why you have such a negative opinion of Ohioans. However, malls are easily avoided, because I choose not to hang out at malls for fun. I buy what I need and leave. Even better, shop online! I am happy Columbus has stores at which I can shop, as I do need food, clothing and household items!

All cities have crime, and while I am not minimizing the crime, crime happens everywhere! Even in New York, believe it or not.

I don't think the traffic is bad, compared to most places, but what bugs me about the traffic here is that all the problems seem to be caused by the morons going 45mph in the middle and left lanes. However, NY has some pretty bad traffic too!

As far as parking meters and traffic tickets are concerned, that happens EVERYWHERE! Pay your meter, don't exceed the time allowed, and you won't have a problem. Likewise, don't break traffic laws and you won't get pulled over! I have seen more meter maids during my visits to NYC than I've ever seen in Columbus!

Lack of cultural diversity is your opinion. What comes to mind when I think of upstate New York (outside NYC commuting area) are homogenous, all-white areas. Columbus is no NYC, so of course you're not going to have the diversity comparable to that within the commuting area, but the city has to be more diverse than the more rural areas in upstate New York.

All pizza is good pizza. I am sure many Chicagoans think NY pizza is nasty.

If a person is full of negativity, life is sure to be boring and bland. I am happy that you are able to move back to an area you like. Life is too short to be unhappy!

Columbus doesn't have the amenities of NYC, but it doesn't claim to have the amenities of NYC. It seems like you're comparing apples to oranges.

The "progressive" comment was pretty narrow-minded as well. Perhaps you could look up the definition of progressive. When I think progressive, I think Seattle, not NYC, but really, people with progressive attitudes are all over the country. Ohio even turned blue in the last election!

Old 11-14-2008, 08:09 PM

4 posts, read 26,658 times
If you're honest with yourself don't you feel like you are missing out on the rest of the world? Haven't you traveled to other parts of the country or world? Also is there anything tying you down to Columbus (i.e. high paying job, family, grad school friends, or church) ?

Old 11-15-2008, 04:29 PM

10,188 posts, read 11,174,994 times
Monkey - I agree with some of what you said. I moved to The Columbus Area from KS about 2 years ago....What a big difference in crime. It's all I hear on the News Here.

Slow drivers? You really got to be kidding me? I'm scared to get on the Highway here. Either I'm being Tailgated, or some fool drives to run me off the road.

I, too, am from Upstate NY originally - nothing compares. Especially Pizza...

Old 11-15-2008, 05:03 PM

455 posts, read 1,885,927 times
I still say pretty girls... C-bus has plenty of them.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,326 times
columbus is a cool city did you not have any friends while staying here cause living in any place without friends is gonna suck MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-29-2008 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: let's not be rude to fellow posters

Old 11-18-2008, 09:11 AM

60 posts, read 153,001 times
Its rather pointless to spew negativity on this site -- just let people live their lives as they see fit-- no need to hate on them for it.

If someone is happy in Columbus, then good for them. They are obviously content with their station in life.

In my opinion, I just think bigger cities (CHI, LA, NYC) are a lot more fun and exciting. The restaurants, the sports, the culture, the diversity, the condos......the money!! lol

Old 11-19-2008, 05:54 PM

34 posts, read 141,752 times
Why do I always read someone knocking on Donato's...lol...I love that pizza. I'd prefer a Chicago deep dish pizza over a NY rat topping pizza.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:30 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,446,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey8522 View Post
I don't mean to get everyone riled up this is more a post for fellow new yorkers so they know what they can expect. . .
As an Ohioan by birth who is now visiting Long Island, you reallllly don't want to hear my opinion of N.Y. I do have to say that I love upstate NY, so pretty, but not much employment and can't figure out how folks afford the high taxes.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 11-23-2008 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: ADD

Old 11-28-2008, 10:23 AM

76 posts, read 235,749 times
Default Native's Perspective

I currently live in St. Louis, MO after spending two years in Chicago. I grew up in Westerville (yes, I know its not Columbus, but I know a lot about the city and can offer an outsider's perspective combined with a native's unconditional love). First and foremost, there seems to be two types of city dwellers (in general, not specific to any city); 1) those who let the city compliment their own open mindedness and creativity, and; 2) those who are completely dependent upon their surroundings to compensate for what they are lacking internally. Type two are the people who dont add to a city anyway, they just sit around and watch and tell other people how great they are b/c of their zip code. A post like the original on this thread probably comes from type 2, although that is mere speculation. Personally, I loved Chicago, I love St. Louis, and I think Columbus is fantastic as well. If you know what you want, each city offers it (art, sports, food, nightlife). If you dont know what you want and tend to hang your hat on things like population, national reputation, and large skylines; you will be bitter like the original poster is because he or she is a mere observer. I cant tell you how many unoriginal people I met in Wicker Park (Chicago) that thought they were hip, creative, etc. by virtue of where they paid rent....it was comical. So, back to the point: Columbus is what you make of it. If you like an urban setting, move downtown, short north, Victorian Village, German Village, or even be a trailblazer and move off the beaten path. No one is forced to move here, but, if you do, and you have an ounce of perspective, you will love it, just like I do each and every time I come home...which is what I am doing now. Happy Thanksgiving, whether you are in Columbus, Upstate New York, or elsewhere.
p.s. 2006Buckeye, I agree with your post, nicely done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus