Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 10:56 PM

62 posts, read 215,380 times

Advertisements

We are possibly being transferred to Mount Vernon and need some information. How are property taxes, low or high? What about utilities? I realize in the winter they will be higher but what is an average bill for a 2000 sq. ft house? Any more information on the town would be appreciated Also what areas around Mount Vernon are ideal to live in? we don't mind a rural setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 09:29 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,210,109 times
Mount Vernon information from our home pages:

Mount Vernon, Ohio (OH) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Mount Vernon, OH (Ohio) Houses, Apartments, Cars, Mortgage Status, and Residents Info

Though I left Ohio last year, generally speaking I can tell you that property taxes tend to run about 2% of home value, unless you are looking at one of the areas that collects school taxes via income tax vs property tax (this is very complicated and is mixed throughout Ohio, ask a realtor for the specifics in the area of interest to you). Utilities can be very high, especially in the older homes you frequently find in these smaller towns. I know that a gas bill of $250 or more per month for the winter months isn't unusual at all.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:35 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the info on property taxes. We live in Texas now and property taxes are super high here because there is no state taxes. Between property and auto insurance plus property taxes we have to work an extra job to pay for those so we are hoping rural Ohio will help eliminate at least the high property and auto insurance. What I have seen listed as property taxes on homes we have looked at online it also will be lower. Electricity in the summer is outrageous here, the winter has not been great. We have had electricity bills of almost $200 when we aren't running a/c or heat and our hot water heater and stove are gas. Our home is considered energy efficient and a new home. So a high gas bill will not be a huge issue to us. Thanks for the warning about older homes though, we will take that into consideration.

Anyone else with other suggestions, like which part of Mount Vernon to live in: south, north, east or west, would be greatly appreciated. Also are there any newer homes in the area? Do most subdivisions have a homeowner association with fees there or not? I know this past winter was a bad one but are the winters there really bad? We lived in Indianapolis for 8 years and did not find winters that bad, at least not as bad a summers here in south Texas.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:08 PM

4 posts, read 17,598 times
Though it may not help the poster who started this thread I would like to say that there really is not a "bad" part of town in Mt Vernon. I'm from there and still visit every weekend. So, I still have a good idea of what the town is like.

Anywhere in Mt Vernon is safe. So, I see kids riding bikes and people walking on streets in every neighborhood. In Mt Vernon some neighborhoods are newer or fancier than others but none are ghettos or trashy.

Along Columbus Rd and Harcourt Rd are some older houses which loosley make up a poorer neighborhood. Basically, I'd say that the West side of Mt Vernon is made up of simpler middle class type housing. But again it's not dangerous just not very glamerous.

The historic district and the residential areas along Gambier Rd, New Gambier Rd and those homes in neighborhoods near Coshocton Ave (the road which has the WalMart and retail establishments along) are very nice. All of the are nice but not multimillion dollar homes. You will see a huge house sitting next to a small house in Mt Vernon.

The upscale neighborhoods can also be found nearby in Gambier and Apple Valley. Really though I hate to call it upscale. Mt Vernon is an unpretentious, small midwestern city. It's very clean and down to earth, but also has a lot of history and charm. Really you can't go wrong anywhere in Mt Vernon.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:46 PM

88 posts, read 371,902 times
"centralohionative" and "newtoCA" pretty much covered it...I'd like to ad #1. avoid fuel oil heated homes like the plague. Jobs, like all the rustbelt, are low-paying as well as few and far between. Take at least 3 months income for backup. Would your job be Merrilat?

Old 05-30-2008, 06:45 PM

No, it's not Merrilat.
Thanks so much for the suggestions. We are definitely moving as soon as our house sells here in Texas. We are excited to get to a smaller town after living in a huge city. I know we will miss some of the things a large city has to offer but at least we are close enough to Columbus to find most of what our city here has to offer. Any other suggestions or helpful hints on type of houses to buy and what to avoid would be appreciated.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:23 PM

123 posts, read 747,519 times
Mount Vernon is a great town. Plus, there are many nice little towns surrounding it in the Amish country.

I pass through that area frequently for work, and always find myself looking for homes for sale.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,495 times
mount vernon isnt the greatest, but its alright. the town has a bunch of crooked people in it so beware who you mingle with. there are a lot of druggies here too. people like to talk and run their mouths alot, and there are a LOT of sex offenders around here too. So be careful.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:09 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,030 times
"people like to talk and run their mouths alot"

WOW! Don't know how people in Mt. Vernon manage to deal with that level of debauchery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus