U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 07:24 AM

53 posts, read 322,349 times

Advertisements

Thank you all so much for the advice. Not being from the area, I really appreciate it. It is true that many times, teachers cannot afford to live in some of the areas that we teach in, which is rather unfortunate, but I definately didn't get into teacihng for the money. I'll look into Lincoln Village and also Hilliard and Rome. I really just want a safe place to live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 05:07 PM

240 posts, read 882,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
The most recent ratings for the Southwestern City School District and the Hilliard School District have them ranked the same "Continuous Improvement". Next, look at the census and compare the poverty rate in both areas. The poverty rate is much higher in the Southwestern City S.D. when compared to Hilliard and the other suburban school districts. That doesn't mean it is the slums (which it isn't - instead mostly hard working middle class folks) - just that there is more affordable housing in those areas. I strongly believe that the school rating has more to do with the poverty rate than the actual effectivness of the school district. Other areas have- purposely or not- raised property taxes to a level so that only the wealthy can afford to live there. This gives rise to higher school rateings. Not to take away from their success, but just trying to keep it real. It would be an interesting study to see where a school teacher could afford to live based on just their teaching income. I bet it is not Upper Arlington or New Albany, and probably not Dublin either!
Since you're using the Ohio Dept. of Education rating, let's look at the whole picture a little more closely.

Hilliard's rating was affected by missing Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) for 3 years. Hilliard CSD met 25 out of 25 indicators this year with a Performance Index of 101. All of Hilliard CSD's schools were individually rated either excellent (including both high schools, all three middle schools and both 6th grade schools) or effective. South-Western CSD, by comparison, met 14 out of 25 indicators with a PI of 92.6.

As the standards to meet AYP are made increasingly difficult, more districts are missing it. Among districts that missed AYP last year were Upper Arlington, Dublin, Worthington and Olentangy. It is likely that more districts will have a similar situation as Hilliard as AYP standards become increasingly difficult to meet.

To have Hilliard (25 out of 25 standards, PI of 101) and Cincinnati (6 out of 25 standards met, PI of 81.5) both rated 'Continuous Improvement' seems confusing and misleading to me.

However, I do agree with you that Hilliard CSD and South-Western CSD are starting from a different point. As you alluded to, the proportion of South-Western's students receiving free/reduced lunch (41.9%) was much higher than Hilliard's (14.6%) last year. The numbers are pretty similar this year, with Hilliard's overall % being down just slightly. So is it really fair to compare Hilliard's 25/25 with South-Western's 14/25? Maybe not.

I agree that Galloway isn't the slums. There are many nice (and less expensive homes) to be had in Galloway. Hilliard CSD has its own pockets of lower-income housing, most of it located south of Roberts Rd. in apartments along Hilliard-Rome Road as well as Avery Estates across from Hilliard Davidson HS.

Last edited by bgfalcons86; 04-19-2007 at 05:15 PM..

Old 05-07-2007, 03:06 AM

5 posts, read 27,384 times
I don't think it's necessarily accurate to base the area on the southwestern school district. The southwestern is the 2nd largest school district in columbus and includes a lot of areas besides Galloway. Galloway is a nice area and is less expensive. However, the school system sucks, but the taxes are cheaper. Imho this is one of the best areas in the west side. I would stay away from west broad street though.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:25 PM

28 posts, read 189,551 times
I lived in Galloway - and loved it - that was 7 years ago - moved to Atlanta - wished I could move back!

Old 05-22-2007, 10:46 AM

41 posts, read 205,467 times
Check out the Westpoint subdivision. It is a Galloway address, but Hilliard schools, easy access to the airport, freeways, and close to Doctors West. There are older (12-14 yrs) and newer homes, and the neighborhood is very family friendly. We are moving from here due to a job transfer, but otherwise we would stay in this neighborhood.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,115 times
I live in Galloway and it is a great area. It's very peaceful and my neighbors are very friendly. In addition, I live in a part of Galloway that's in a Hilliard School District, so not all of Galloway is in the Southwestern School District. I'm in the are where my kids will attend the newer school in Hilliard, Alton Darby Creek Elementary school.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,091 times
Default You would love it.

I live in Galloway and love the area. It is so convenient to the whole city because we are so close to the freeway. The shopping is so convenient as well. We have a lot of homes for sale now and the market is such that you can pretty much name your own price and get pretty much what you want. The people are diverse but as previously mentioned we are a community of hard working people and take pride in our homes and community. Hilliard is a wonderful community but it is expensive.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:45 AM

15 posts, read 41,038 times
We looked at a house in Galloway that we really liked. The neighborhood was very quiet and seemed to be very family oriented. In the end, we decided that it was a little too far out for us.

Good luck!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:38 PM

20 posts, read 33,354 times
what are some good townhomes rental in the good part of hilliard, that are north of roberts rd?

Old 02-25-2010, 11:05 AM

37 posts, read 95,495 times
I had a friend who lived for a while in the Heritage Green townhomes, though I don't recall exactly where they are. The seemed nice and the floorplans were very nice. My husband and I were looking to live there when we moved back to Columbus, but decided to purchase a house instead. Our friend did not live there very long because of the price. He had a roommate, but they were in their early 20s and ended up looking for something cheaper and closer to work. I do remember liking them, but honestly a starter home costs less per month if you can get a loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus