Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 09:16 AM

797 posts, read 2,341,472 times

Advertisements

So my sister and my brother-in-law are coming into town this weekend and I'm trying to figure out if there is anything to do in this town. We're going to the OSU/Wisc basketball game on Saturday night so I'm primarily looking for things to do on Friday night and Saturday during the day.

We're all in our mid to late 20's. Not interested in going to a club. They would probably also not be interested in COSI. I thought about trying to take them to something at the Ohio Theater downtown but there doesn't seem to be anything happening there this weekend. Is there anything to do in Columbus in January that can't be found in any small town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 10:03 AM

158 posts, read 405,534 times
You can check out Columbusunderground.com. They do a good job of advertising local events in Columbus.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:13 PM

29 posts, read 104,375 times
Not much to do in Columbus anytime of the year. I guess Short North or German Village, could do dinner, check out the historic village, lots of smaller bars too as opposed to clubs. Maybe you should just visit them if they live in a better area.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:48 AM

coach123: Thanks for the link. I use that site sometimes. There doesn't seem to be much happening this weekend though.

Cincyfan79: I've lived in Columbus for awhile. There's more going on in the summertime, but I agree that it seems there's not as much happening compared to other cities of a similar size. The family is coming up specifically for the OSU bball game so going where they live isn't an option. We live in a small town of about 4500 anyway, but it seems like our options are about the same on things to do this weekend. More restaurants here though.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:46 AM

146 posts, read 336,401 times
The Alyson Shotz exhibition opens this weekend at Wex - Wexner Center for the Arts: Exhibitions - Alyson Shotz / Standing Wave
If you think they might like Chihuly, there is running exhibition at the CMA - Chihuly Illuminated | September 25, 2009 - July 4, 2010 | Columbus Museum of Art (http://columbusmuseum.org/illuminated/ - broken link) and of course the Conservatory - Welcome to Franklin Park Conservatory

The Grange Insurance Audubon Center is kind of fun to check out, not to mention it is an interesting project.

Of course there is the Short North, North market, ect. Don't let them get out of town without trying Jeni's ice cream. Mabye head into Grandview on Friday night for Dinner, then hit up Jeni's for Ice Cream and Staufs for Coffee.

I know you mentioned not being interested in the club scene, but there are a ton of little bars with live music playing bluegrass, jazz, rock, ect.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:52 AM

146 posts, read 336,401 times
One other idea, I got to thinking about glass - if you guys are hands on/arts/ect, Glass Axis is a public studio. Lucky to have a place like this in Columbus, not very many cities have a public glass studio. They offer "first time" classes that usually only run a couple of hours. Glass Axis - Classes (http://www.glassaxis.org/classes.htm - broken link)

Old 01-14-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other1 View Post
The Alyson Shotz exhibition opens this weekend at Wex - Wexner Center for the Arts: Exhibitions - Alyson Shotz / Standing Wave
If you think they might like Chihuly, there is running exhibition at the CMA - Chihuly Illuminated | September 25, 2009 - July 4, 2010 | Columbus Museum of Art (http://columbusmuseum.org/illuminated/ - broken link) and of course the Conservatory - Welcome to Franklin Park Conservatory

The Grange Insurance Audubon Center is kind of fun to check out, not to mention it is an interesting project.

Of course there is the Short North, North market, ect. Don't let them get out of town without trying Jeni's ice cream. Mabye head into Grandview on Friday night for Dinner, then hit up Jeni's for Ice Cream and Staufs for Coffee.

I know you mentioned not being interested in the club scene, but there are a ton of little bars with live music playing bluegrass, jazz, rock, ect.
Thanks. I saw the Alyson Shotz thing on another website so I was thinking about that. I took them to Franklin Park last time they were here so we probably won't do that this time. I knew they were reworking the Whittier Peninsula area, but didn't know how far along that project was. That may be something though to check out once it starts getting a little warmer.

There are plenty of places to eat, so I think I'm good in that category. If you know of any bars though that might have some live music, please let me know. I like all sorts of music, but I think they might be more interested in country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus