U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 11:41 AM

1,277 posts, read 4,391,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I realize this is the Columbus forum but anyone (even the biggest buckeye fan) familiar with such things will tell you that Miami has a much better undergraduate program than OSU. If your son has been accepted to Miami University, you should be pretty darn proud of it.
Actually this is outdated. Since last year OSU's freshman class has higher academic entrance requirements and overall academic standing from high school than Miami. OSU was once the "easier" school to get into and that is not true anymore. It was in the 80s especially.

Also, there are programs at OSU that a student could not get at miami, if you are wanting to do certain research, political science, but business schoool, etc.. OSU excels in these areas.

Personally, OSU is more diverse than Miami simply because it is in Columbus and the school's population appears more diverse. When I have taken trips to Miami I felt more of a assimilation culture than Ohio State. Even when you see people at bars and parties around the university district there is just if not more students studying away in libraries or doing other activities.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 10:11 PM

394 posts, read 1,358,099 times
A few things I would say about OSU:

Ohio State isn't my first college. It's not my second or my third either. I've attended small, medium, and large schools and my time at OSU has been by far the most enjoyable of any of those schools. At first, the nature and size of it is very overwhelming and intimidating, but once I got used to the way everything works, it does seem only as big as you want it to. That sounds very cliche and corny, but it's honestly true. At OSU, your son would be able to be pickier about the friends he makes, the classes he takes, and the extra-circular activities he takes place in. I was skeptical when I transferred here a year ago, but a year later, I'm very glad I came here. Becoming a buckeye was one of the finest decisions of my academic and social life I've made since I graduated high school. Then again, I've always heard very positive things about Miami, so you could be in for a win-win.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:59 PM

4,058 posts, read 4,149,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
I realize this is the Columbus forum but anyone (even the biggest buckeye fan) familiar with such things will tell you that Miami has a much better undergraduate program than OSU. If your son has been accepted to Miami University, you should be pretty darn proud of it.
I call BS on that...OSU ranks higher than Miami of OH in many areas for both undergrad and grad school...I graduated w/ a Logistics degree, and it's the #1 Logistics program in the country. I was offered academic scholarships at both Miami and OSU and went to OSU b/c at Miami, you have to go greek, and OSU had a better business school.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:40 PM

455 posts, read 1,775,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I call BS on that...OSU ranks higher than Miami of OH in many areas for both undergrad and grad school...I graduated w/ a Logistics degree, and it's the #1 Logistics program in the country. I was offered academic scholarships at both Miami and OSU and went to OSU b/c at Miami, you have to go greek, and OSU had a better business school.

Please provide us with links to rankings you can find within the past several years that show Fisher (OSU) coming in higher than Farmer (MU).

Old 03-31-2009, 08:50 AM

5 posts, read 14,002 times
I have heard many comments about the need to join fraternities at Miami, or feel left out. I know this was true when I was college age, but is it really true now?

Old 03-31-2009, 02:32 PM

498 posts, read 1,405,047 times
whichever campus he attends, he will have to figure a staggering number of things out on his own.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:05 PM

88 posts, read 352,364 times
Cut him loose...he'll survive anywhere

Old 03-31-2009, 04:10 PM

22 posts, read 69,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneinOhio View Post
I have heard many comments about the need to join fraternities at Miami, or feel left out. I know this was true when I was college age, but is it really true now?

I have heard from recent graduates that Miami is Greek oriented, but not impossible to attend without it.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:57 AM

76 posts, read 225,310 times
I grew up in Columbus and attended Miami U. While I cannot attest to the academic rankings of either school, I can provide some insight into life at both schools. Bottom line is this: OSU and Miami both provide excellent academics. Here are the pros and cons not associated with academics.
Miami pros: beautiful campus (its like a fairly tail sometimes-maybe thats bad?), less violent crime, the ability to make connections and network for future jobs (every job I have had since graduation has been through a connection to Miami--however, see caveat below re: rich kids).
Miami cons: remote location, less diversity (think white kids in north face coats), tons of "rich kids" with no perception of reality (the bubble of Miami allows them to maintain ignorance of the real world), no pride in athletic programs (maybe hockey), and definitely a Greek school (social scene dominated by Greek activities).
OSU pros: a variety of off-campus options (its in a big city), more open mindedness, the ability to be anonymous, great sports, and probably more work-study programs.
OSU cons: big city problems, larger classes (I think, not sure), and I find my OSU friends were less likely to leave Columbus and try something new after graduation.

Hope that resembles something helpful.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:50 PM

340 posts, read 543,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
Please provide us with links to rankings you can find within the past several years that show Fisher (OSU) coming in higher than Farmer (MU).
pick up a copy of the US News rankings. or just google it. Fisher not only beats Farmer, it's in another league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus