Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 06:53 PM

122 posts, read 379,763 times

Advertisements

i know this might be a crazy post but i think the east coast is more accepting of differences in people, from being rasta to being latin, thats my observation, i love columbus grew up there, linden mckinley 97 but am not willing to conform but so much. I'm not saying columbus is not open to differences but from what i hear, its a little more strict. give me some opinions. Also with race being in the thread, sometimes a good first impression's cant get pass a stereo type, at least from where i stand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 09:19 PM

455 posts, read 1,884,515 times
Not many people (of any color) with dreadlocks "succeed" by traditional standards here... that is, of course, if you are looking at careers that involve a degree, sales, management, office environment (etc.) or dealing with the general public on a professional level in Ohio. West coast might be more open to that.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:24 AM

35 posts, read 135,903 times
I can't believe the stereotypes in this thread.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:49 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,222 times
Being a recent transplant I see it all the time here.
It's embedded into the Columbus culture.

Columbus is not culturally diverse and very xenophobic of other cultures, values or change.

Read some of HuskerDu's and Streetcreed's posts. So far my favorite is Streetcreed's posting that black people = poor.
Second only to the realtor who suggested that a gay couple seek out other gays and not talk to the general public.

It would be funny if it wasn't so, uhmmm, retarded.
(by retarded I don't mean mentally challenged, I mean stunted growth)

But to answer the OPs question. Columbus is not a good place for minorities of creed, values, faith or orientation.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:28 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,350 times
Don't know about Ohio, but D.C. seems to be a place of many ethnicities. My sister lives in Maryland and works in D.C. and she is part African!

If you have a good degree, from a good school and look and act professional,whatever that may mean, then you should have no more problems then the rest of us, who are poor and/or non-european! or handicapped or female, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweezy View Post
i know this might be a crazy post but i think the east coast is more accepting of differences in people, from being rasta to being latin, thats my observation, i love columbus grew up there, linden mckinley 97 but am not willing to conform but so much. I'm not saying columbus is not open to differences but from what i hear, its a little more strict. give me some opinions. Also with race being in the thread, sometimes a good first impression's cant get pass a stereo type, at least from where i stand

Last edited by gea12345; 04-23-2009 at 08:38 AM..

Old 04-23-2009, 10:33 AM

35 posts, read 135,903 times
Moving to Columbus from Pittsburgh, I noticed something. I noticed that there were several more blacks in Columbus and even more in high-profile positions (I've worked for 3 different companies in Columbus).

I also lived in Philadelphia and again, I think Columbus has a lot of opportunity for minorities, especially blacks. It's what you make of it... If you honestly believe that you can't succeed (or haven't succeeded) because of your color, then try something different to enhance your skillset. Get a Master's degree, get certified in a new skill, etc. As a minority here, I got my Master's and everything is going well. You'll find there are several races in Columbus.

As for the comments about gays needing to hide ... well that's just silly. Columbus has one of the largest gay populations in the midwest. IMO, the university brings diversity to the city.

Good luck! And keep in mind that the cost of living in DC vs. Columbus isn't even comparable. DC cost of living and traffic is horrible.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:55 PM

94 posts, read 422,728 times
You cant even come close to comparing Columbus and Washington DC in terms of Minority acceptance.

Columbus is a big (huge) city, sure... but far from diverse or ethnic. Washington DC is one of the biggest cultural hot spots in the World.

Pack your belongings, move to DC, and never look back. You'll be a 6 figure man in no time.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:36 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,671,655 times
Quote:
So far my favorite is Streetcreed's posting that black people = poor.
I never said black people equal poor. Columbus is known for and does have a larger black middle class than most eastern and northern cities.

Columbus did not have a lot of black migration during the industrial age and thus wasn't left with a poor post industrial black population. Like many NE cities. While DC has good prospects for black citizens it does have a larger poor black population. Even pre 1950 Columbus had a decent sized middle class black population. Columbus was one of the first school districts to have black teachers and the city has many mixed race neighborhoods, middle class, like Northland area and the Far east side.

Calling Columbus a bad city for African Americans is far from true. It is consistently ranked as one of the best. An area that is marked for improvement is the number of black owned business. I have noticed this too as much of Columbus' entrepreneurial spirit seems to have escaped its black community. Maybe DC is up in this area.

However, many high profile state leaders/employees are black and Columbus is a city with a 24% black population yet the majority of our city council and our mayor is black. Columbus is a socially progressive city. If you want to make comparisons to DC though, I need to investigate more but it seems some from DC haveperceived it to be more open, or atleast for those attempting to make a 6 figure salary maybe. Which is not a bad goal at all.

Now if you want to ask which city is better for a African American Columbus or Pittsburgh or Columbus or Cleveland or Columbus or St. Louis? I would say Columbus 100 %.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:41 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,671,655 times
Quote:
Moving to Columbus from Pittsburgh, I noticed something. I noticed that there were several more blacks in Columbus and even more in high-profile positions (I've worked for 3 different companies in Columbus).

I also lived in Philadelphia and again, I think Columbus has a lot of opportunity for minorities, especially blacks.
I think these two quotes are right on with what I am saying. And Darlamenow, most would agree with this too:

Quote:
And keep in mind that the cost of living in DC vs. Columbus isn't even comparable. DC cost of living and traffic is horrible.
Columbus' decent level of high position African Americans plus the lower cost of living and traffic could be very good reasons to decide on it over DC. However, some prefer the DC hustle and bustle to Columbus. And this is understandable. Also, DC is on track to having economic growth, and a full economic recovery sooner than other places in the US thanks to the stimulus spending and growth of government.

Columbus, though, is still adding some jobs in the recession and is one of the best performing midwestern/great lakes economies in the this recession. Actually one of the better in the country.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:52 PM

122 posts, read 379,763 times
this tread isnt about race, its about people who make the decision to be individuals, when your resume is good and loaded with great work history but you have maybe a few to many tattoos or dreads etc. i dont blame the people who have put themselves in a position of BOSS, they earn the right to choose who they want with their company, what I'm seeing as someone who grew up in columbus and now lives in d.c area, if you apply your self out here, the sky's the limit, whether you have a criminal record or didnt get higher education, you get a chance, from what i remember about Columbus is nothing like that, its what they say out here, A RED STATE, meaning very conservative. if you've made mistakes in your past and grew but get looked down upon, you might understand what i'm asking.I'm not pointing fingers or making excuses, I'm asking a genuine question, which city is better for a black man with some flaws in his past and chooses a look that might be stereo typed by people who dont understand. thanks for your opinions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus