Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 09:46 AM

9 posts, read 56,437 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Columbus this summer for grad school. I'm probably going to rent a 2BR within 15 minutes of OSU. I'd love to be in more of an urban neighborhood, but I don't see too much in terms of apartments/condos that aren't astronomically priced. so I'm trying to be more flexible. Right now, my list of places to visit on my upcoming "planning trip" is way too long. Does anyone have suggestions on apartment complexes NOT to lease in? Also, I'm considering a few places in Victorian Village. Are the less amenities (no dedicated parking, no central AC, no gym/pool/clubhouse) really worth the location? I think my biggest frustration so far is that the timeline for rentals in Columbus is short (~30 days notice), and I need to know where I'm living soon so I have time to find a roommate. 30 days isn't too comforting when I'm going to be starting a Craigslist roommate expedition.

I've been considering buying, too, but am hesitant to do so now since I don't know the area very well.

I've been scouting apartmentratings. For what it's worth, I'm moving from a large northeastern city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 11:41 AM

150 posts, read 980,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake2 View Post
I'm moving to Columbus this summer for grad school. I'm probably going to rent a 2BR within 15 minutes of OSU. I'd love to be in more of an urban neighborhood, but I don't see too much in terms of apartments/condos that aren't astronomically priced. so I'm trying to be more flexible. Right now, my list of places to visit on my upcoming "planning trip" is way too long. Does anyone have suggestions on apartment complexes NOT to lease in? Also, I'm considering a few places in Victorian Village. Are the less amenities (no dedicated parking, no central AC, no gym/pool/clubhouse) really worth the location? I think my biggest frustration so far is that the timeline for rentals in Columbus is short (~30 days notice), and I need to know where I'm living soon so I have time to find a roommate. 30 days isn't too comforting when I'm going to be starting a Craigslist roommate expedition.

I've been considering buying, too, but am hesitant to do so now since I don't know the area very well.

I've been scouting apartmentratings. For what it's worth, I'm moving from a large northeastern city.
One person's astronomical is another person's affordable, so what is your budget?

Victorian Village would be worth no A/C and no clubhouse, but IMO no dedicated parking is a dealbreaker. The towing companies will get you in a second anywhere around campus, so it would be best to find a place with parking.

Have you considered being a roommate to someone who already has a place instead of trying to find an apartment and a roommate? A lot of people leave for the summer, so you would likely have no problem finding a sublet, and then you could get a better idea of where you might want to live for the next year (or few years). And it would probably be very cheap.

Maybe you could post the names of complexes you are considering. There are so many places within 15 minutes of campus that it's hard to narrow it down. You may also do a search of this forum, as the questions you are asking have been asked a zillion times.

DH and I moved to Columbus from DC, and leased an apartment sight unseen. It was The Meridian. It's not unsafe or anything, but I don't recommend it. I think there are better options for the money where you don't have to deal with puke in the halls, towing, etc. I really like the Arena District area rentals, but don't know the prices, and it's farther from campus (though not that far).

Old 05-26-2009, 09:45 PM

Ugh, the forum ate my message. Anyway, long story short: currently live in a "luxury" loft building where undergrads aren't allowed, and it's great! Maybe the meridian won't be a good fit for what I'm used to. Max rent: 1300. Have been reading forums. Other places I'm not entirely sure about but on my list: Canterbury, Harvard Square, Drayton Court, Sterling Place, Island Club, Sixty Spring. Advice?

Old 05-27-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake2 View Post
Ugh, the forum ate my message. Anyway, long story short: currently live in a "luxury" loft building where undergrads aren't allowed, and it's great! Maybe the meridian won't be a good fit for what I'm used to. Max rent: 1300. Have been reading forums. Other places I'm not entirely sure about but on my list: Canterbury, Harvard Square, Drayton Court, Sterling Place, Island Club, Sixty Spring. Advice?

Canterbury: Seems geriatric, and the building looks old, but I haven't heard anything bad about it. Neighborhood is not very urban - building is near the hospital and Kohls and a Kroger strip mall.

Harvard Square: There are so many apartments in that area...I think Harvard Square is sort of old, but probably ok. Again, the area has more of a strip mall feel than an urban feel. Probably quite a few undergrads there too.
Same goes for Sterling Place, but it seems a little newer than Harvard Square.

Drayton Court - nice area, nice new apartments

Island Club - probably ok, but the apartments are getting old. Probably quite a few undergrads. The Quarry is nicer and is in the same area.

Sixty Spring: Nice looking, unlikely to have undergrads living there. I wouldn't necessarily want to go for a walk alone at night. It's downtown, but not that close to the cool stuff that stays open after regular business hours.

I like Arena Crossing. It's pushing your budget, but they may have rent specials to bring down the cost.

Overall, the apartments you've listed seem fine.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:36 PM

I'm deciding between the Quarry and the Meridian. I know we have one anti-Meridian person here. Any other thoughts? Meridian appears to be closer to my building on campus, but I did the drive from the Quarry and it only actually took me 10 mins from there (google said it'd be 15).

Thanks.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:32 PM

146 posts, read 336,119 times
I've had one friend that lived in the Meridian and really liked it. There are a few things you can walk to just to the west (King Ave 5, Andyman's Tree house, Brazenhead, ect). Plus, much easier to access areas of the city via cab or bike from the Meridian. You can walk over to campus really easy as well.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:43 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,672,569 times
Quote:
I've had one friend that lived in the Meridian and really liked it. There are a few things you can walk to just to the west (King Ave 5, Andyman's Tree house, Brazenhead, ect). Plus, much easier to access areas of the city via cab or bike from the Meridian. You can walk over to campus really easy as well.
The Meridian is a great apartment complex, with a pool and nice rentals, near a lot of action in the city.

Its in the city of Columbus just west of Victorian Village/Short North, not far from downtown or jobs at OSU, and right near the Grandview Ave. retail strip.

Plus, there's quite a bit of new retail that is right next door. It is a car sales lot that was recently converted into restaurants and shops.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:45 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,672,569 times
Quote:
Sixty Spring: Nice looking, unlikely to have undergrads living there. I wouldn't necessarily want to go for a walk alone at night. It's downtown, but not that close to the cool stuff that stays open after regular business hours.
Regarding 60 Spring East, in N. downtown, it's hardly in a bad area. It is in a very quiet part of downtown just a block from High St. and just south of the Short North and the Arena District. The only thin spooky about 60 spring east is the nearby desolate surface parking lots (which are empty at night and full in the day time with office parking.)

Old 06-09-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
Regarding 60 Spring East, in N. downtown, it's hardly in a bad area. It is in a very quiet part of downtown just a block from High St. and just south of the Short North and the Arena District. The only thin spooky about 60 spring east is the nearby desolate surface parking lots (which are empty at night and full in the day time with office parking.)
I'm made the asumption that "Cupcake" is a female. Maybe you don't worry about walking at night around 60 E. Spring St, but some females would. The area is not very populated at night, and you wouldn't exactly pass lots of people on your way to the Arena District or the Short North. An area doesn't have to be "spooky" for a crime to occur, and by your own statement, it's "desolate" at night. My recommendation mentioned safety, and IMO that's an important factor in deciding where to live.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:09 AM

215 posts, read 544,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
The Meridian is a great apartment complex, with a pool and nice rentals, near a lot of action in the city.

Its in the city of Columbus just west of Victorian Village/Short North, not far from downtown or jobs at OSU, and right near the Grandview Ave. retail strip.

Plus, there's quite a bit of new retail that is right next door. It is a car sales lot that was recently converted into restaurants and shops.
The Meridian is deceitful when they try to get you to sign a lease. After my experience I'm never going back to that **** hole!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus