U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 08:36 PM

48 posts, read 118,407 times

Advertisements

I LOVE COLUMBUS!!! Ive been there several times and love it! I would love to call that area home. But I'm havng a bit of difficulty finding a decent job in the area. I'm a mid-level professional, and I'm registered on Monster, CareerBuilder and America's Job Bank, and have applied for jobs that fit my background, but I have yet to receive a response. How is the job market in the area, and what other resources should I look into? Any help I get is greatly appreciated

Thanks again everyone! Hope to be a Columbus area resident real soon
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 09:19 AM

30 posts, read 219,012 times
Thanks for posting my friend, I'm not sure what you do for a living but Columbus has alot of great jobs. Craigs List online has tons of jobs posted, alot of people in Columbus are very unfriendly and stuck-up, your post has been read over 100 times and I'm the first to respond. Columbus has alot of people that just want to be in the in crowd type of thing for whatever reason and hang in clicks. Many great place to live, find the right job, friends and area to live, stay away from the clicks and phoney people and you can do whatever you want. Good Luck'

Old 11-19-2012, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 779 times
Default Job search

Jobs are hard to find anywhere in America right now and in the immediate future. Most jobs people get in Columbus, Ohio are government jobs or corporate moves. This city's companies often relocates its employees here and does not hire people outside their companies.

If your looking fo a low paying job I'm sure you can find one. Most young people are waiting tables. if you are a teacher some jobs are available in Special Education/ESL

Wish I could be more upbeat.

Best regards,

Old 11-19-2012, 01:31 PM

13 posts, read 22,084 times
I'm moving to Columbus real soon. Why are you guys so negative?
Hey I'm sure you will find a job soon, you might not be able to lock one down before you arrive but Columbus is actually booming right now, especially compared to the rest of the country!

It's nowhere near as bad as they are making it sound.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:27 PM

140 posts, read 294,450 times
It may not be as hard as you make it sound. With the diverse workforce, unemployment in Columbus is just 5.9%. Ohio unemployment is 7.1% and the U.S. average is 7.8%. Columbus is really much better off than rust belt cities like Cleveland, Pittsburgh, or Toledo. With that said, there may be a shortage of openings depending on what type of job you are looking in.

I do not think people in Columbus are unfriendly and stuck up. Sure, some of them are, but I don't like to be branded as an unfriendly person based on where I live. My personal experience is that some of the friendliest people live and work here.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:18 PM

2,365 posts, read 3,997,720 times
i cant speak for toledo or pittsburgh, but cleveland is currently in a bit of a boom in construction itself. we have more poeple living/moving in our downtown than columbus, and (im guessing) probably twice the entertainment venues/choices for all ages than our capitol city... lastly, imo "rust-belt" is a little outdated for our fair city. yes, cleveland still has some of its gritty aspects, but thats what makes this city cool.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:02 PM

249 posts, read 573,505 times
Actually the unemployment rate in both Columbus and Ohio is even better than stated 5.7% Columbus 6.9% Ohio

Old 11-19-2012, 10:19 PM

225 posts, read 429,815 times
My wife and I moved from Houston, Texas to Columbus, Ohio and found the people to be much more friendly outgoing and welcoming in Columbus. There are a plethora of great neighborhoods and communities to live in. We have lived in three different cities in three different states and I would not pick any other place in the US to raise my family. There are a ton of family friendly activities throughout the area and the Midwestern value system is prevalent.

As for employment, we moved here when my wife accepted a position at The Ohio State University. I have not actively looked for employment yet because we have been unable to secure a daycare so I am currently raising my daughter. I know of many people coming to Columbus for employment reasons. If you let us know what your career field is then we may be able to give you some leads on specific companies to pursue.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:56 AM

16,103 posts, read 16,177,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
i cant speak for toledo or pittsburgh, but cleveland is currently in a bit of a boom in construction itself. we have more poeple living/moving in our downtown than columbus, and (im guessing) probably twice the entertainment venues/choices for all ages than our capitol city... lastly, imo "rust-belt" is a little outdated for our fair city. yes, cleveland still has some of its gritty aspects, but thats what makes this city cool.
Cleveland is seeing a lot of new projects, which is great news for them, and does have a larger Downtown population, but that's always been the case. I don't think Columbus was ever ahead in Downtown population. As far as people moving Downtown, not so sure. The last time I looked at census tracts, Cleveland had some that were growing in the immediate Downtown as well as around University Circle, but most were still in decline, outweighing them. Maybe it depends on what you define Downtown including. As far as entertainment venues, I think that's subjective to one's own tastes.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:57 AM

16,103 posts, read 16,177,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooks50 View Post
Actually the unemployment rate in both Columbus and Ohio is even better than stated 5.7% Columbus 6.9% Ohio
Make that 5.4%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus