Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 11:19 PM

4 posts, read 9,017 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am a Afro-American woman married to a Puerto Rican man (w/ 3 children) in CA. I will be relocting shortly to Columbus, OH in a couple of months for my job. I would like to know a great suburb, or nice part in the city to rent w/ in a good school district.
Any suggestions on neighborhoods to look? Preferably an area I can feel comfortable and safe w/ my bi-racial family. I only mention this because I have researched and am lead to believe that there are certain areas that are less desirable for a person in my position. Any insight?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 12:58 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,074,682 times
The guy I work with has the same recial mix.
Him and his family live in Hillard and find it nice.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:59 PM

Thanks Tenzo, Ill look into that community!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:06 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,866,764 times
I'd personally lean toward Upper Arlington or Westerville as possibilities, as well, along with German Village in town.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
I'd personally lean toward Upper Arlington or Westerville as possibilities, as well, along with German Village in town.

Oh shoot, you are right.
I come from a city with a lot of integration and dont notice it.
I live in German Village and the couple two doors down is a black woman and white male.
I consider them friends and didnt even think about it.

I'll be moving out of German Village and over to CA in 2011, maybe we should just trade homes

Old 09-23-2009, 02:22 PM

LOL. Notice I'm gettin OUT of CA? I live in the Central Valley in CA (but was raised in Los Angeles), and trust me, you do NOT want to trade-Well, unless you want to live in an area with 12-18% unemployment rate. All the jobs are moving away!

Old 09-23-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca2oh View Post
LOL. Notice I'm gettin OUT of CA? I live in the Central Valley in CA (but was raised in Los Angeles), and trust me, you do NOT want to trade-Well, unless you want to live in an area with 12-18% unemployment rate. All the jobs are moving away!
Wife is an ER doc. ERs get a lot of business when people who are uninsured get hurt. So there aren't many immigrants in southern cal?

Me, I like to sail.
Be a real bummer if I couldn't find a job.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:15 PM

9 posts, read 18,816 times
I am in the same situation. I am from San Diego, I have 3 kids and my husband is also Puerto Rican. We moved to southern Indiana and just cant deal with it here. so we are looking to move to columbus. If you get there before me let me know what you think.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:30 PM

23 posts, read 59,589 times
There are all kinds of people in Columbus. I wouldn't worry. I think you will be fine (especially if you are African american). Dublin is nice (no good rentals, maybe you could find a nice house), Gahanna is nice and very family oriented (my favorite restaraunt is there,The Old Bag of Nails), Upper Arlington is nice,Westerville, New Albany and Powell are good areas,(expensive for me but if you are from California you should not have a problem) and Canal Winchester is okay (boring) if you like small little towns outside of the city. If you are worried about racism don't move to Lancaster, Pataskala or The Hilltop.There are a lot of hillbillies and stuff you dont want in those areas. Easton has a very nice mall, I think people live there, I don't know. There are a lot of good restaraunts and shopping, even bars in the mall. Polaris (North Columbus) is good for that too. Do not move to Whitehall,(East Side)Bexley or anywhere on Champion Blvd. or parts of Cleveland Ave. If you are driving downtown just don't get off at those exits. LOL. It's pretty obvious in Columbus where it is bad. It is a nice city but you just have to be looking in the right direction. LOL.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:49 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,226,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory_velaz View Post
i am in the same situation. I am from san diego, i have 3 kids and my husband is also puerto rican. We moved to southern indiana and just cant deal with it here. So we are looking to move to columbus. If you get there before me let me know what you think.
ouch!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus