U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:51 AM

20 posts, read 33,522 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I along with my wife and two kids are moving to Ohio this summer. I am in the military and my wife works for the government also. My job is will be at the OSU campus, and my wife most likely will be working at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton.

So here is the problem, we are looking for a place to live in between Columbus and Dayton. We would like to rent a townhome or house 3br 2 baths, garage is a must. My range is $700-$1020 a month. My kids ages are three and under. I have daycare line up already.

What are some nice safe towns that are best for us?? Looking for a nice urban area with mall, Walmart, lol, etc. Please help, this is my first time in Ohio.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 11:18 AM

2,063 posts, read 4,526,016 times
Hmm, when I started reading your post, my first thought was London out in Madison County would be best, but seeing you want to be closer to urban areas with a mall, and bigboxes, I'd pass up London for being too rural. It is a town with a supercenter, but Columbus's Tuttle Crossing in NW Columbus would be the closest mall and be probably 30 minutes away.

First, stay on the west side of Columbus, as the drive to WPAFB can be a bit long from anywhere else in the Columbus metro. It takes me about 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes to commute from OSU to Beavercreek, which is just south of the base. I would budget an hour or so in time from the Hillard-Rome Road exit on I-70 to Area A&C at Wright-Patt and an extra 10 minutes to Area B. I'd stay north of I-70 along Hillard-Rome. There seems to be plenty of bigbox stores along this road north of 70.

There are also probably plenty of townhouse and home rentals around that price range there, but I recommend consulting a realtor for further information. While Columbus schools are ok, Hillard's are better. Again, consult a realtor, as boundaries in that area can vary and are a little funky. Just remember that just because it is in Columbus does not mean they are Columbus schools and vice-a-versa.

Hope some of this information helps. Good luck with the move!

Old 02-23-2010, 11:30 AM

183 posts, read 602,273 times
Hmm... this is tough. I am a little biased because I was raised there, but you may look at Marysville. It doesn't have a mall, but it's about one of the fastest growing areas in the state behind Delaware County and it has a lot of big box stores (Walmart Supercenter, Lowe's, Home Depot, Best Buy, Office Max, etc) and Mapquest says it's about an hour from WPAFB and about 40 minutes to OSU.

I was thinking Springfield but Marysville is closer to a major mall than Springfield. Marysville is only about 15 minutes from Tuttle Crossing Mall and about 25-30 minutes from Polaris Fashion Place.

Last edited by VideoEngineerAJS; 02-23-2010 at 11:39 AM..

Old 02-23-2010, 11:52 AM

Yeah I hear there is alot of farm lands between columbus and dayton. Yeah I looking for a good suburb. I am coming from Washington D.C. So am looking for something with a little city feel, and with diversity.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:05 PM

If you are wanting to try and make the drive for the two of you as equal as possible and still have the convenience of city life and great schools, I would say Marysville.

If you would rather save a little time on one of your drives, then I would say the Hilliard area.

You can't go wrong with the schools in either Hilliard or Marysville, but Marysville would just make the drive somewhat equal for the two of you because she wouldn't have to deal with the traffic that you would coming from Columbus.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:12 PM

Thanks for the info. I will look into Marysville.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittydachamp View Post
Any good renting community at Marysville
My mom is still in Marysville and she says that she has seen quite a few houses for rent. Since you are from the DC area you could probably live just about anywhere without a problem.

The upper scale areas are Green Pastures, Timberview, and Walker Meadows. The large housing development in Marysville is Mill Valley (it has neighborhood schools) and the one that's new and still has a lot of space to grow is Scott Farms.

If you get away from the developments Marysville has a lot of large Victorian style houses.

Condos and apartments there is Watkins Glenn, Lakeside Apartments at Green Pastures, and The Retreat at Green Pastures.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:40 PM

There are more apartments than those I just mentioned, but I've heard some bad stories about some of them. Like I've heard the owners of Bridgewater are rude and not flexible at all. They are nice apartments, but they keep raising the rent.

One of my mom's friends from church (who is half African-American) actually lives in Watkins Glenn (or she and her husband did the last time I knew). And another one of my mom's LONG time friends lives in Watkins Glenn.

So Watkins Glenn is probably the best apartment/condo complex in town.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:56 PM

I completely forgot about this site. Check it out...

Marysville, Ohio Supersite: Realtors and Real Estate Agencies

Old 02-23-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoEngineerAJS View Post
My mom is still in Marysville and she says that she has seen quite a few houses for rent. Since you are from the DC area you could probably live just about anywhere without a problem.

The upper scale areas are Green Pastures, Timberview, and Walker Meadows. The large housing development in Marysville is Mill Valley (it has neighborhood schools) and the one that's new and still has a lot of space to grow is Scott Farms.

If you get away from the developments Marysville has a lot of large Victorian style houses.

Condos and apartments there is Watkins Glenn, Lakeside Apartments at Green Pastures, and The Retreat at Green Pastures.
Do you mean The Residence at green pastures??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus