U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 04:28 PM

5 posts, read 6,882 times

Advertisements

I'm currently attending college in a small town in North Carolina called Boone. You may or may not be familiar with the local university, App State, and the football team, the Mountaineers, and their victory over Michigan several years ago .

I recently learned of funding cuts that are coming to the university system state wide as a result of Kay Hagan's budget proposal for the next fiscal year, and it looks as if the funding cuts will largely effect the academic core resulting in class reductions and instructor layoffs. The problem here is funding cuts are discretionary for each university in the system and there has been no confirmation as to what the budget cuts will mean for App State. With that said, I've been looking for other schools to attend as contingencies in case the funding cuts affect my majors and I came across Ohio State. From the research I've gathered, the university appears to be a great choice for my desired fields of study(I'm working for several degrees - city planning, geographic information systems, and environmental science)

Now having said all that, I wish to know more about Columbus, and any information you all can provide would be helpful, though I do have a few specifics I would like to address. What is the job situation like in the city? What is the housing situation like i.e. - what can a college student expect to spend for off campus housing? Also, what is there in the way of entertainment and nightlife? Thanks everyone .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 10:01 PM

13,928 posts, read 25,222,003 times
In a decent area within a mile or so of the campus, I'd estimate about $600-$800 for an apartment. Regarding nightlife and things to do, the place is just jam packed.

Short North Arts District Official Website - Columbus Short North - Short North Columbus |

Columbus Ohio Arts + Entertainment | Arena District | Downtown Columbus Ohio

Campus Map - The Ohio State University

Old 05-25-2010, 07:19 PM

Okay great, thanks. The links are really helpful for finding out activities and night life. I wonder if you can tell me anything about the atmosphere of the city. I've read some of the other forums about the city and there seems to be a lot of varying opinions. I've heard that the city almost seems to be cult like especially in dealing with the Buckeyes, I've also heard that, according to the people of Cleveland and Cincinnati, it seems to be a hick town that's in the middle of nowhere, which doesn't seem to be a fair assessment from the little bit of research I've done. As near as I can tell, Columbus seems to be a fair comparison to Charlotte, with the exception that Columbus is a long established city both from an economic and social standpoint whereas Charlotte is really kind of up and coming. Would that be a fair comparison?

Old 05-25-2010, 09:28 PM

13,928 posts, read 25,222,003 times
It is a metro area with about 1.7 million folks. I would say Charlotte is a decent comparison to Columbus, nobody has to feel out of place here at all. Liberals, conservatives, folks who like city life, and those who prefer the suburbs or country will find plenty of options here.

Honestly, despite what you may read on any internet forum site, folks generally keep to a fairly small circle of associations/friends. You won't have problem finding folks you like in Columbus, no matter what you are seeking.

Regarding the Ohio State teams, many folks here really love to follow them, but you'll find quite a few who are disinterested, or even have disdain for the teams.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:47 PM

2,786 posts, read 6,093,047 times
Columbus is a young city in many ways (growth patterns). It is home to plenty of diverse cultures and people, and lots of different companies that make the economy strong and growing at good rates.

I too am interested in urban planning. I would also suggest looking into University of Cincinnati. Great program there. Just an idea. If you are set on OSU, you can't go wrong. One of the largest and most progressive universities in the country. Their new student union is by far one of the most amazing buildings I have seen on a campus.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:55 PM

Oh okay so Columbus and Charlotte are almost exactly the same size as each other, and very similar from a social standpoint. That's actually kind of comforting to know should I decide to make the move to Columbus when considering how much I visit Charlotte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Columbus is a young city in many ways (growth patterns). It is home to plenty of diverse cultures and people, and lots of different companies that make the economy strong and growing at good rates.

I too am interested in urban planning. I would also suggest looking into University of Cincinnati. Great program there. Just an idea. If you are set on OSU, you can't go wrong. One of the largest and most progressive universities in the country. Their new student union is by far one of the most amazing buildings I have seen on a campus.
I'll keep the idea of Cincinnati under advisement. What is the campus like Cincinnati? Also, I'm curious, what do you most enjoy about urban planning? Personally I really enjoy the transportation planning aspects. That's really what makes the city. I mean if you can't get around, then it's like what's the point of trying to recruit businesses into the area if their end products can't move efficiently?

Old 05-30-2010, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,485 times
I don't live in Columbus but I am also a fellow student looking into OSU. I currently am a senior at Western Michigan University and I'm currently on the hunt for a graduate school. I am applying all over the country, NYU and Columbia in NYC, Boston U, Colorado State U, a cpl others were on my list... then my professor and the director of my major (Telecommunications & Information Management) suggested Ohio State to me. At first I thought, "Ohio State? Yuck!" to be honest...just because Ohio seems so uninteresting compared to the other areas...NYC, Boulder, CO, Boston...I had been looking into. After doing some research I realized OSU is by far one of the best universities in the country. I'm visiting Columbus next month to get an idea of the area but right now it's on my top 2 list of places I hope to get into. I'm not sure what their program for undergrads is like but I know the program I'm looking at is one of the top three in the entire country...also for graduate students they offer very attractive funding packages to incoming grad students...something that will end up being a huge factor in my decision. After telling a girlfriend about my initial hesitation about OSU because of the location she said her sister went there and absolutely loved it. Cheap housing, great city, tons of activities for students were the things she mentioned. I'll post again after I've visited Columbus but honestly, from what I've researched and heard, it's a phenomenal school. Good luck in making your decision!

Old 05-30-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booney View Post
Oh okay so Columbus and Charlotte are almost exactly the same size as each other, and very similar from a social standpoint. That's actually kind of comforting to know should I decide to make the move to Columbus when considering how much I visit Charlotte.

I'll keep the idea of Cincinnati under advisement. What is the campus like Cincinnati? Also, I'm curious, what do you most enjoy about urban planning? Personally I really enjoy the transportation planning aspects. That's really what makes the city. I mean if you can't get around, then it's like what's the point of trying to recruit businesses into the area if their end products can't move efficiently?

I love transportation planning. I as well am a huge transportation advocate and love what cities are doing across the country. In fact, Cincinnati is going to start building its streetcar system. I am also interested in development of the city cores, and investing in the cities themselves.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmugirl View Post
I don't live in Columbus but I am also a fellow student looking into OSU. I currently am a senior at Western Michigan University and I'm currently on the hunt for a graduate school. I am applying all over the country, NYU and Columbia in NYC, Boston U, Colorado State U, a cpl others were on my list... then my professor and the director of my major (Telecommunications & Information Management) suggested Ohio State to me. At first I thought, "Ohio State? Yuck!" to be honest...just because Ohio seems so uninteresting compared to the other areas...NYC, Boulder, CO, Boston...I had been looking into. After doing some research I realized OSU is by far one of the best universities in the country. I'm visiting Columbus next month to get an idea of the area but right now it's on my top 2 list of places I hope to get into. I'm not sure what their program for undergrads is like but I know the program I'm looking at is one of the top three in the entire country...also for graduate students they offer very attractive funding packages to incoming grad students...something that will end up being a huge factor in my decision. After telling a girlfriend about my initial hesitation about OSU because of the location she said her sister went there and absolutely loved it. Cheap housing, great city, tons of activities for students were the things she mentioned. I'll post again after I've visited Columbus but honestly, from what I've researched and heard, it's a phenomenal school. Good luck in making your decision!
Well coming from Michigan, Columbus and Ohio are a dream. So much more oppurtunity. Diverse and growing economy.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmugirl View Post
Well that's really good to know, very assuring. If you could provide some information, you know, just what your impressions are after your visit, that would be great. I'm hoping to visit the school in the near future, basically to do what you're doing, just to get the lay of the land, and from what I'm hearing here, it sounds like a very good choice for my preferred studies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus