Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 12:02 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,926,981 times

Advertisements

I tried a search and didn't find anything, so....

For the past week or so I've been having a problem getting links to work. If the link is for a news article, etc. it just won't work. I can get where I need to go otherwise, such as here on CD, with the exception of outside links. I turned off my ad blocker to see if that would work...it didn't. I lessened my security settings...didn't work. Not sure what else to try as I've never had this problem before. I can watch youtube videos as long as the actual video is posted but if it's a link to the video, no dice. I have the same problem on all the sites I go to. Links in my e-mails don't work either.

I am using Internet Explorer and have Windows 7, if that matters.

Any suggestions??? It's driving me bonkers. I even tried the cut/paste option from post to address bar but that just takes me to some wierd site where I have to click ANOTHER link and that doesn't always work either.

TIA for anyone who can help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,158,324 times
Did/do you run a virus checker? Some viruses intercept links and point them different places. Perhaps your computer has a virus?

Old 06-09-2010, 12:48 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,696,636 times
What happens when you click a link? Are you receiving errors? Where does the link take you?

have you tried to Run MSE and Run malwarebytes or AVG or anything like that?

Have you tried another browser?

Last edited by skel1977; 06-09-2010 at 12:58 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 01:34 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,647,112 times
Not sure if this will work in Windows 7 but I have used it many times in Vista/XP:

Run Some Special dll’s (dynamic links library)

Go to Start, Run and type in regsvr32 urlmon.dll. Click OK. If a message pops up that says
"DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded," the problem should be fixed. If
that still doesn't work, try typing in the following commands in the Run box (one
at a time):
- regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
- regsvr32 Msjava.dll
- regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
- regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
- regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
- regsvr32 Browseui.dll
- regsvr32 Shell32.dll
One of these options should solve the link problem you are experiencing.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Did/do you run a virus checker? Some viruses intercept links and point them different places. Perhaps your computer has a virus?
Yes, ran virus checker. Nothing found. When I click on a link it will barely begin to run and then nothing. It doesn't direct me anywhere unless I copy/paste the link into the address bar.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
What happens when you click a link? Are you receiving errors? Where does the link take you?

have you tried to Run MSE and Run malwarebytes or AVG or anything like that?

Have you tried another browser?
Nothing happens when I click a link. No error messages. The link takes me nowhere. It barely starts to run and then stops.

Have done a computer check. Nothing. No, haven't tried another browser.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Not sure if this will work in Windows 7 but I have used it many times in Vista/XP:

Run Some Special dll’s (dynamic links library)

Go to Start, Run and type in regsvr32 urlmon.dll. Click OK. If a message pops up that says
"DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded," the problem should be fixed. If
that still doesn't work, try typing in the following commands in the Run box (one
at a time):
- regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
- regsvr32 Msjava.dll
- regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
- regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
- regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
- regsvr32 Browseui.dll
- regsvr32 Shell32.dll
One of these options should solve the link problem you are experiencing.
I have never ever had this problem and had XP for years. This is a new computer, three months old, and this is the first "problem" I've had with it.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll try them. Thank you! Will let you know what happens.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:29 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,647,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I have never ever had this problem and had XP for years. This is a new computer, three months old, and this is the first "problem" I've had with it.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll try them. Thank you! Will let you know what happens.
Just so's you know, this is an official Microsoft fix. Here is a link to the KB article: You cannot open a new Internet Explorer window or nothing occurs after you click a link

I do tech support for a large company and have seen this happen many times. No idea what exactly causes it, I just know the fix.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Just so's you know, this is an official Microsoft fix. Here is a link to the KB article: You cannot open a new Internet Explorer window or nothing occurs after you click a link

I do tech support for a large company and have seen this happen many times. No idea what exactly causes it, I just know the fix.
Thanks for the link, and I'd love to use it, but it won't open!

I just thought of something else too...I had the free trial of McAfee on my computer when I bought it but when it ran out, and I didn't renew, I started having this problem. I wondered if it was a firewall problem too. I was considering downloading AVG...because I can't afford to pay for the McAfee right now...but won't do anything till I get this problem figured out.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:31 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,768,363 times
Have you uninstalled McAfee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers