Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 05:35 AM

31 posts, read 146,578 times

Advertisements

I have a question and I hope this is the right place to ask (wasn't sure about whether to place it in shopping or computers or wherever...). If it's in the wrong place, let me know and I'll repost where it belongs.

I have about 100 music CDs that I want to transfer to an ipod (I was told this was the best format). It is my understanding that I can easily download a program that can burn my CDs to the ipod.

I'm so confused about all the different ipods available. I am not interested in playing video and don't want anything fancy at ALL.

The new ipods offer so much more than I'm interested in, so I was thinking about looking for a used ipod on craigslist, but I'm still not sure what I'm looking for!

Can anybody here please help me understand what I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 05:52 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,694,631 times
Not too familiar with ipods so im sure there is someone that will know if you just wait a bit.

Anyways Im pretty sure you have to convert the cd to mp3. There are programs for that. Im sure someone will help you out shortly.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:47 AM

16,561 posts, read 19,758,258 times
There is no BEST PLAYER.
If you just want a simple MP3 PLAYER to JUST play music then I would suggest a SANSA CLIP+. Bestbuy sells them and they are pretty cheap.
Windows Media Player, which is already installed on your PC (assuming you don't have an Apple) will "rip" your CD's into the proper format and load them onto your MP3 player.
If you do have a Mac just get an iPod Nano and iTunes will rip your CD's for you and load your player.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:06 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,860,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
There is no BEST PLAYER.
If you just want a simple MP3 PLAYER to JUST play music then I would suggest a SANSA CLIP+. Bestbuy sells them and they are pretty cheap.
Windows Media Player, which is already installed on your PC (assuming you don't have an Apple) will "rip" your CD's into the proper format and load them onto your MP3 player.
If you do have a Mac just get an iPod Nano and iTunes will rip your CD's for you and load your player.
Totally agree. Do not get an Ipod. Over priced, unconventional, piece of schit. Total hype; total marketing.

Get a simple, (preferably name brand like Creative) MP3 player online somewhere or Walmart or someplace like that. Minimum 4gigs of memory. As mentioned above, Windows Media Player interfaces to it seamlessly - unlike Itunes crap. Ipods only play MP3, no WMA. Ipods are a huge hassle as they are "married" to whatever computer they established a library from. A "normal" MP3 player is just a mass storage device which can be plugged into any PC and music can easily be downloaded or uploaded - easy, simple, no hassles.

Here are 16gig MP3 players starting at $75

16gb at Pricewatch - Sales, lowest prices, discover. Category - MP3 Players

Why iPods Suck - Asymptomatic

Old 06-11-2010, 10:25 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,723,232 times
iPods are certainly not pieces of "schit", but they are probably more than the average person needs in terms of playing music since they do so much more anymore. I think Charles really hates Apple based on his post, so his information is biased, but no inaccurate. You want a music player, so focusing on a device that does that will save you money and make you happier - no iPod needed - iPod is only one device among many, and has a lot of things you frankly don't need, like a full color screen to brows album art, for one. Who cares about that when all you want to do is listen to music?

You an get an mp3 player from anyone, and an application to organize and play music, and load it into the mp3 player anywhere. What size capacity you want depends on how much mosic you have and how you "rip" it from the CDs onto your computer. If you use the mp3 format and 256 VBR quality, each song should be around 7-10 MB, so 100 songs would be 1,000MB, or ~1 GB, just to give you a quick, dirty idea of how much capacity you'd want.

Now, if you want to add music, say by buying it from Amazon, you'll want room to grow.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:38 AM

31 posts, read 146,578 times
Thank you everybody. This is EXACTLY the information I was looking for!

I have a PC and do have the Windows Media Player. I'll get an MP3 player with a minimum of 4GB.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:26 PM

1,095 posts, read 4,002,571 times
I'd get more than 4 gigs. Once you start using this you'll want to keep putting more and more music on it. I think 100 cds will take up close to 8 gigabytes. I've heard good things about the 16 gig Sansa someone else mentioned.

I do love my iphone and use it as my player but if I just wanted a simple music player I'd certainly consider the sansa. iTunes for windows blows, although it does make it very easy to rip cds.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:43 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,694,631 times
Id get the 8gigs too. I filled it fast. I didnt realize how much music i actually had

Old 06-15-2010, 07:53 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,860,614 times
Yes, 8 gigs or 16 gigs as the price really isn't that much higher. I have a 4gig but I only use my MP3 player for working out and it is a couple years old already. Prices have come way down. If you only use your MP3 player for working out and not archiving music, you can sample around 160kbps and the files will be a lot smaller than if they were sampled at 300+ kbps.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:16 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,267,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
I'd get more than 4 gigs. Once you start using this you'll want to keep putting more and more music on it.
I know people who seem to have every song in existence, and I don't get it. I have a 4 gig iPod, and couldn't fill it even if I put every song that I actually liked/wanted to hear on it. I usually have about 2 gigs full, and change the playlist about once a month depending on my mood. That's is just me, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieB View Post
I have a question and I hope this is the right place to ask (wasn't sure about whether to place it in shopping or computers or wherever...). If it's in the wrong place, let me know and I'll repost where it belongs.

I have about 100 music CDs that I want to transfer to an ipod (I was told this was the best format). It is my understanding that I can easily download a program that can burn my CDs to the ipod.

I'm so confused about all the different ipods available. I am not interested in playing video and don't want anything fancy at ALL.

The new ipods offer so much more than I'm interested in, so I was thinking about looking for a used ipod on craigslist, but I'm still not sure what I'm looking for!

Can anybody here please help me understand what I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance...
If you want an iPod, you'll have to use iTunes. Sort of. Yes, there are 3rd Party apps that you can use to bypass iTunes and put music on an iPod, but really, the two were designed for each other. Anyways, if you use iTunes, what you do is import the cd's into iTunes and then move the library/selected songs to the iPod. Pretty standard.

You can get a basic iPod, but you might also want to look into other mp3 players. There are many out there, they all pretty much do the same thing, and some are cheaper than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers