U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 06:16 PM

15,222 posts, read 18,588,903 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a ground-up rebuild/replacement of our HTPC, and am considering using a solid state drive for the O/S, and an external array for the media (movies, music & recorded TV). I don't want to go with a NAS or USB for that, so I'm looking at eSATA. There just doesn't seem to be many enclosures that include RAID.

Does anyone have any practical experience with any of the external eSATA RAID enclosures out there? The reviews I read weren't very positive. I'm most concerned with the noise level and reliability. Looks are kind of important, too, since this will be part of an entertainment system.

Oh, and I can't use a proprietary eSATA card, like one or two of the units I saw requires. The case I'll be using only takes low profile cards, and even if the eSATA card is low profile, I don't want to give up a slot that I may not even have to give up - I haven't decided on which motherboard to go with yet, but I know that I'll be using two tuner cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 06:21 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,482,350 times
I'm sure its not cheap, but the Drobo S supports eSATA.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:21 PM

10,764 posts, read 18,137,408 times
Why not keep the drives inside the HTPC case and use a motherboard with built in RAID?? If space is an issue you could consider using 7200 rpm laptop drives.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Why not keep the drives inside the HTPC case and use a motherboard with built in RAID?? If space is an issue you could consider using 7200 rpm laptop drives.
I don't want them in the case to keep the heat down. That's also the #2 reason I'm going with a solid state drive for the O/S. Also, the built-in RAID on most (all?) motherboards is fakeRAID, and requires the host OS/CPU to do the heavy lifting.

Last edited by swagger; 06-24-2010 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 06-24-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I don't want them in the case to keep the heat down. That's also the #2 reason I'm going with a solid state drive for the O/S. Also, the built-in RAID on most (all?) motherboards is fakeRAID, and requires the host PC to do the heavy lifting.
Yeah, all good points. Whats the reason for not wanting a NAS?

Old 06-24-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I'm sure its not cheap, but the Drobo S supports eSATA.
I forgot about those.. but you're right, it's not cheap ($600+). Out of my price range.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:02 PM

Found some here, can't speak for their quality though.

SATA External Enclosures, External SATA RAID, External SATA Drive Kits (http://www.usb-ware.com/external-sata-products.htm - broken link)

Old 06-24-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah, all good points. Whats the reason for not wanting a NAS?
We have one already, which we're using to store movies and music. It's great, but certain functionality breaks on the media center extenders if the media isn't on a local drive. Plus, I'm going to have four tuners in the box, so the risk of problems due to bandwidth saturation is very high. I was going to move the media to the external drives after the new HTPC is built, and use the NAS strictly for backups from now on.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Found some here, can't speak for their quality though.

SATA External Enclosures, External SATA RAID, External SATA Drive Kits (http://www.usb-ware.com/external-sata-products.htm - broken link)
That was the first site I came across, too. The price is pretty attractive, but after reading some reviews of the same hardware on different sites, I'm not so sure. That's why I was hoping someone here had real-world experience with one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers