Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 06:31 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeacenHarmony View Post
cant reinstall windows I bought the comp. already installed. But I can get one through Hp because I own it already will cost me a little but I will have my operating system back.
If the computer didn't come with recovery CD's then you have a recovery partition on the hard drive which is access by a keystroke when you first turn the computer on, HP is usually F11 IIRC.

Quote:
The Microsoft guy says it wont fix it anyway. He says I need a XP professional CD or a windows 7 CD not to install but to grab the repair feature they need to walk me through it witch means they built vista without it????
Vista wasn't built without anything, installation DVD's exist but OEM's like HP are not required to provide one with a new PC, they will come with either a recovery partition as mentiond above or a utility to create your own DVD's which people usually don't do. Also to fix your install you need a Vista DVD, not an XP or Windows 7 DVD, why they told you that I have no clue, it's wrong.

Quote:
As far as getting a new drive where would I get one? an witch one would that be? Witch would be best an would I upgrade at the same time? Is it worth fixing ? I did call HP an they say it is a windows update problem an to contact Microsoft. No warranty left BTW. Nothing as far as data I am very anal about backing up my stuff an did it not to long ago. What do I do now? Yeah I know Im Heated about what happened an my screen name makes it funny lol Thanks for the laugh. I really do love my HP's but why am I getting the run around?
You can get a hard drive from bestbuy or any local or online computer parts retailer, but I still highly suggest you find a reputable shop, you may not even need a new drive. As I said it is not Microsofts responsibility to support you, it's HP's (but your out of warranty so they don't have to help you either), if Microsoft is talking to you at all without charging you consider yourself lucky. As you have your data backed up try running the recovery using F11, if you can't figure it out look on HP's website, they have instructions for their computers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 06:34 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLippi View Post
As the Microsoft guy said, if you know anyone with a Windows 7 Install CD you can use that to fix your computer. Otherwise download a trial from Microsoft and burn it to CD. Boot off it and you will be all set. No need to do anything but boot then remove the CD and reboot.
Windows 7 Enterprise | Trial, Evaluation, Test, Download
I don't know where you got your info from, but you cannot repair a Vista installation with a Windows 7 disk.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:44 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Have you seen this solution?

YouTube - Vista STOP 0X0000C1F5 BSOD Fix

Of course, it involves you being somewhat technical and having a PC that you can use to burn a CD.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:19 PM

269 posts, read 910,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I don't know where you got your info from, but you cannot repair a Vista installation with a Windows 7 disk.
Yes you can.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:24 PM

269 posts, read 910,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Vista wasn't built without anything, installation DVD's exist but OEM's like HP are not required to provide one with a new PC, they will come with either a recovery partition as mentiond above or a utility to create your own DVD's which people usually don't do. Also to fix your install you need a Vista DVD, not an XP or Windows 7 DVD, why they told you that I have no clue, it's wrong.
He doesn't need a recovery partition he needs a windows 7 install CD. The reason they told him to use it is simple, it will resolve the problem he has. Quit posting incorrect info and accept Windows 7 installation CDs will fix the problem. Microsoft recommends it because it's the best fix for the problem, why have him reinstall Vista and all his programs when he can burn a cd, boot off it, and reboot.

In the event the OP comes back and says the proven fix for this problem doesn't work then we can start recommending plan Bs and more drastic measures.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:17 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Reinstall Windows if you have no valuable data on your drive.
If you have valuable data on your drive and your time is worth something (and you aren't interested in monkeying around with hard drives), take your drive to a service that will retrieve those data for you. Then reinstall windows.
You are posting, so you have another computer. buy something like this USB 2.0 to SATA IDE Hard Drive Cable Adapter Converter - USB-To-IDE/SATA - Buy.com and save a bunch of money, retrieve your own data, plus you will have useful tool the next time you need to get data off a drive from a non-bootable PC.

The above will handle IDE drives, both 3.5 inch and 2.5 inch laptop, plus SATA drives from desktop and laptops. Best $15 I've spent to recover data.

But if you decide to take it somewhere, don't take it to a 'big box store', but find a local computer repair shop. You will be treated better, and the expertise will be far better than some guy wearing a white shirt and socks.

But yes, the final resolution does sound like reinstall of Vista is the most likely fix.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:43 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
If you decide to ditch windows in itself, you can check out Ubuntu homepage | Ubuntu
I love Linux; it has many free programs that are comparable in use as Windows programs.
Best of all....free and none of the frequent worries with viruses.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:46 PM

122 posts, read 197,298 times
Smile Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

I would use this but I am posting from an HP mini so no drive to burn with
but thanks I may use this later If I can get my computer back an running.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:49 PM

Unhappy Sorry no luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If you can find someone with the same version of Vista ask if you can borrow their disk and use your key code to reinstall Vista. Do a full format, not quick.
I have already tried this, in my original post i said they asked me to try this does not work right back to blue screen of DEATH

Old 06-30-2010, 08:52 PM

Unhappy Sorry nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLippi View Post
As the Microsoft guy said, if you know anyone with a Windows 7 Install CD you can use that to fix your computer. Otherwise download a trial from Microsoft and burn it to CD. Boot off it and you will be all set. No need to do anything but boot then remove the CD and reboot.
Windows 7 Enterprise | Trial, Evaluation, Test, Download

No drive to burn from but I would if I knew someone who had it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers