Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 09:38 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,378,461 times

Advertisements

Ok this is the problem.

Every time I log onto the computer, I get a box WINDOWS INSTALLER, trying to install something called Roxio Media Manager.
"please wait while Windows configures Roxio Media Manager"

Then though I try to hit cancel, it looks like its trying to cancel but then starts installing again. I have tried to stop the running process of this application on Task Manager. Can't. I can't find it in my Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs.

Then when it's done trying to install, the message comes up:
"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package. (shows a browse button). If I hit Ok, the same thing happens as above. If I hit cancel, it still attempts to install. If I hit browse, it goes to System folder and there is no such folder containing the installation package (unless it's called something else in the System folder)

During one of these attempts of this Windows Installer trying to install Roxio, a WINDOWS message showed up "Data Execution Prevention", stating it has closed this program for "safety" or something like that. Well if it did, it didnt work. Roxio still keeps trying.

Then I get an ERROR 1706 "no valid source could be found for product Roxio Media Manager. The WIndows Installer cannot continue. But it does.

BACKGROUND:

ONLY THING THAT HAS HAPPENED UNUSUAL IN LAST 24 HOURS....Couldnt get online. Called Tech Support of my network provider. Found out I had an IP address that was something the DSN or whatever assigns if they cant find one or whatever....Tech support troubleshooted, and fixed it. Said it was a WINSOCK corruption.

I have WEBROOT SPY SWEEPER. Not picking up any viruses during full sweeps. CCleaner has been used to clean out any crap, as I do every day. I have WINDOWS FIREWALL on...however it was off during network provider troubleshooting, because they told me to, trying to figure out why i wasnt getting a Local Area Connection or Wireless Connection.

NO ONE uses my laptop but me. I live alone. I live waaaay out in the sticks, I mean so far that not even GPS picks up where I live here in Texas, so to tap into my DSL wireless, they would have to have an incredibly strong signal or something to reach to my wireless line.

My Dell Inspiron 2200 works fine now, other than that annoying problem described above.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME! This is drving me to drink! ARGH!!! Thank you and God Bless. I will subscribe to this thread so I get reply notification STAT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 09:44 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,423,548 times
Possible resolution for this problem:

Open your task manager, you will notice that msiexec.exe is using all of your processor, any time this is, you will have to end task on this item in order to get anywhere with this procedure (it's tedious, but it works):

1. Right click on "my computer" and choose "manage"
2. In the new window(in the right window pane), double click on "services and applications"
3. double click on "services" in the right window pane
4. scroll down to "Windows Installer", right click and choose "properties"
5. where it says "manual", set it to "disabled" then apply, next time you "end task" on the faulty program, it will not restart
6. now comes the real trick where timing is necessary, you will need to set the service to "manual", then go to your add/remove programs and remove roxio altogether.

Windows installer will ask you if you want to restart at this stage, you can say no, and shut off the installer service again, because you may have a blackberry (blackberry desktop software), so you need to uninstall that too, if this applies to your system....

Hope this fixes your computer issue...

vette-dude
Retired IT engineer...

Old 11-01-2008, 10:08 PM

thanks so much vette-dude. i have done all of the above except for removing roxio from add/remove programs, because like i said in original post, it does not show up there. i cant find it anywhere.
i still have the windows installer properties set as disabled. should i turn it back on to manual now?
thus far, at least finally that windows installer box tryin to install roxio aint up on my screen. when i hit cancel, it went away, so at least you fixed that problem. GOD BLESS YOU.
please advise re: windows installer properties status....and how to find the roxio to remove it totally from my puter.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:25 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,982,275 times
I've had similar issues with different programs trying to install themselves. I've used Task Manager and then Search to help me get rid of them.

When the "I wanna install!" popped up, I went to Task Manager and clicked on the Applications tab. There listed was the install I didn't want. I right clicked on it and chose Go To Process. That took me to the Processes tab and highlighted the actual process I needed to dump. I now knew the name.

I went to Search and looked for that file's name. When I found it, I right clicked on it and chose Open Containing Folder, and that took me right to it. I simply changed the name of the file by adding NO to the beginning of the name.

Sometimes renaming a file isn't allowed, so I've stepped up to the folder itself and renamed that instead.

This does not remove a program (like Roxio) from your computer, but it will give you relief from annoyance if another insistent install pops up in your future.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:42 AM

Wow thanks! Yall are some very intelligent folks here! this computer bimbo is very grateful. I am learning all kinds of neat tricks here!

This morning when I opened the laptop, Roxio immediately started installing. I went to Task Manager and ended task on all those msi.exe files, went to the System settings, and had to disable Windows Installer. When I was going into that file, i saw four different Roxio things-one installer and one that said something about hard drive watch....HA! I think I know who invited Roxio to my cyberworld! I bought Carbonite which is a virtual harddrive. I will bet Roxio manages my files, and watches for more files to backup. BUT! But listen! If that's the case, why is my Carbonite now backing up like I asked it to, if I just disabled everything Roxio, or I should say, set it all to manual? And Carbonite is working just fine right now as we speak.
I wish I could know FOR SURE why Roxio is in my "cache". If I dont need it, I can delete it, surely, from the registry.

Please continue helping me! Thanks so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I've had similar issues with different programs trying to install themselves. I've used Task Manager and then Search to help me get rid of them.

When the "I wanna install!" popped up, I went to Task Manager and clicked on the Applications tab. There listed was the install I didn't want. I right clicked on it and chose Go To Process. That took me to the Processes tab and highlighted the actual process I needed to dump. I now knew the name.

I went to Search and looked for that file's name. When I found it, I right clicked on it and chose Open Containing Folder, and that took me right to it. I simply changed the name of the file by adding NO to the beginning of the name.

Sometimes renaming a file isn't allowed, so I've stepped up to the folder itself and renamed that instead.

This does not remove a program (like Roxio) from your computer, but it will give you relief from annoyance if another insistent install pops up in your future.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:57 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,982,275 times
Roxio is looking for media files to manage not to necessarily back up. I found a forum that offers some suggestions to get rid of it.

Media Manager Services - Roxio Community

Old 11-02-2008, 07:21 AM

Thank you!!!!
In the meantime, it seems as if I just keep Windows Installer disabled, it is solving my problem for now. Will just have to enable it, if I need that program, though I am not sure what Windows Installer is....or what I would use it for. I have never used it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Roxio is looking for media files to manage not to necessarily back up. I found a forum that offers some suggestions to get rid of it.

Media Manager Services - Roxio Community

Old 11-02-2008, 10:46 AM

307 posts, read 1,181,220 times
Check the Startup tab in msconfig (start>run>msconfig) for anything suspect and then clear your temp files (start>run>cleanmgr.exe).

It's very likely something in your registry is telling windows to try and run something on startup. Msconfig usually has a link in there and the temp directory usually stores the setup files. If you find the registry key it'll point to the exact location if it's not the temp folder.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:33 PM

thank you so so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Check the Startup tab in msconfig (start>run>msconfig) for anything suspect and then clear your temp files (start>run>cleanmgr.exe).

It's very likely something in your registry is telling windows to try and run something on startup. Msconfig usually has a link in there and the temp directory usually stores the setup files. If you find the registry key it'll point to the exact location if it's not the temp folder.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:37 PM

is this safe to do? anyone know? please reassure me before i start doing this. i dont want to crash my computer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers