Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:19 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I Googled for a different answer and found this. Read the whole thing before you do anything!

My Windows XP not booting up including safe mode
Reading some of that it sounds like "fun".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
After reading the posts on the site I linked to, no. At least not right away...
Well I would still do a hard drive test which is simple anyway to take that possibility out of the way.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:22 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Well I would still do a hard drive test which is simple anyway to take that possibility out of the way.
Always a good option.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:45 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,342,373 times
Quote:
I Googled for a different answer and found this. Read the whole thing before you do anything!

Thanks for that site. From the symptoms of others (except for the one who said he was getting popups), it sounds like a 0kb file in system32\drivers directory. I will have to check that when I get in front of the system again.

I'll keep you posted.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:

Thanks Tek_Freek for pointing me to this site. It indeed was a driver with 0kb.

The file was nahln.sys and shoved into windows\system32\drivers.

I wound up following the instructions from one guy that wrote in on there. I downloaded ubuntu and burned it to a CD and gained access to my hard disk. This verified that I could still access the disk and not all was lost. Then I deleted the file and rebooted. System started up.

I haven't had a chance to scan it yet, but I will. Until its clean its not going on the internet.

Thanks for the help everyone. What a pain it is.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Thanks Tek_Freek for pointing me to this site. It indeed was a driver with 0kb.

The file was nahln.sys and shoved into windows\system32\drivers.

I wound up following the instructions from one guy that wrote in on there. I downloaded ubuntu and burned it to a CD and gained access to my hard disk. This verified that I could still access the disk and not all was lost. Then I deleted the file and rebooted. System started up.

I haven't had a chance to scan it yet, but I will. Until its clean its not going on the internet.

Thanks for the help everyone. What a pain it is.
I'm glad that you got it to boot, now I would check the hard drive with a good diagnostic for good measure.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I'm glad that you got it to boot, now I would check the hard drive with a good diagnostic for good measure.
I will. Next time I get over there (family member's computer, not mine), I'm hitting it with malwarebytes, the antivirus, spybot.

Thats the bad part about having to go to someone else's house. Its hard to do everything in one shot, which I like to do.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
I will. Next time I get over there (family member's computer, not mine), I'm hitting it with malwarebytes, the antivirus, spybot.

Thats the bad part about having to go to someone else's house. Its hard to do everything in one shot, which I like to do.
Good to hit it with those but I was meaning to check the hard drive for bad sectors and other smart checks because if it fails or on its way to you'll just go through "grief" again in a different way in the future.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:53 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
You're welcome. I'm always glad when someone finds the answer to a problem.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Good to hit it with those but I was meaning to check the hard drive for bad sectors and other smart checks because if it fails or on its way to you'll just go through "grief" again in a different way in the future.
I'll throw that at it after I see its clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers