Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 01:55 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times

Advertisements

Back in 2001 my main computer was an AMD XP 2100 / 1.5gb memory / 480 gb hd computer. Had another spare AMD XP 2000 computer too – I keep it for slow legacy games and it has a rare dual floppy. So until Feb 2006 I lived with this AMD XP 2100 as my main computer. Then I bought a $2550 Dell E1705 with a 7800 go video card and I used this laptop as my main computer until Dec 2008, - when I bought my current i7 920 desktop.

So my laptop used to be my main computer used every day for everything including gaming, internet, and gps. Dell has great warranty service and during that 2.8 years of heavy use Dell replaced an LCD screen, mb, wifi card, keyboard, and video card 3 times. Now my Dell E1705 is out of warranty so I barely try to use it. Bought a spare E1705 with a 7900 go video card for $400 ebay. The great thing about the Dell E1705 is that you can buy parts to repair it on ebay... like mb's and vc's. So now I have to repair my laptops myself... hope I can do this.

So since Dec 2008 my main computer has been a desktop instead of a laptop. During this time video cards for desktops became way better than the ones for laptops and nowadays I'd say if you want to do serious gaming do it on a desktop and not a laptop. Laptops break a lot and you should have a 4 year warranty on them. Desktops don't seem to fail as much and when they do you can usually fix them yourself. And ever since I had a 2nd monitor on my desktop I now can't live without using a dual monitor computer. Especially helps in stock investing and coding Visual Studio 2010. Just recently upgraded my desktop to 2 Geforce 460's SLI so now I can run 4 monitors if I want to [don't have the desk space]. Laptop vc's haven't kept pace with desktop ones too.

So I just had to rant the laptops aren't that good anymore to use as your main computer if you're a heavy duty computer user! A multiple monitor desktop is where it's at!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 09:13 PM

181 posts, read 299,453 times
That's wonderful

Old 09-01-2010, 10:26 PM

42 posts, read 55,758 times
When I was in 8th grade there was computer science. It was apple computers with green letters. Is this fancy or what hahaha. Later I took a class in lotus 123 and word perfect and yet when Windows OS came along good bye lotus and word perfect understanding. Now have to understand another way.

I did not know how to use the internet at first at home when I got a windows computer in 95. I got it from an ad. But I got ripped off. This was just a about 250 ghz pretty slow to say. I took a class in 98 in ROP for word processing. I asked them to teach me more about windows. You don’t need to know they said. You only need to know about word processing. The technicians can help with the other things. This would not look good to an employer telling them I know word processing but I don’t know much about windows. Finally I meet a friend in 2001. He knows a lot about computers. He got me to understand the internet messenger and all that stuff. I had a 19 inch TV size monitor. Then out came flat screens. I did not jump at that. I liked the TV version hahaha. But now as you can see it’s flat, it’s boring and can’t do anything about it. I never had a laptop cause when I tried one I did not like it compared to a desktop computer.

May I please ask you? How do you afford to get these fancy computers like you do? I’m paying back a friend that I got this tower on sale refurbished Vista. It was a 2 day sale did not want to miss that one. I don’t feel the need at least at this time to carry computers around with me. Even if McDonalds is going to allow some kind of plug ins to make it more like Starbucks to hang out with plasma TV sets and a special playgrounds for the kids. I just came to eat there not to byte hahaha. I can do that fine at home hahaha. By the way I hate Ipods. They well just too um tiny hahaha. Another reason I like desk top.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:46 AM

I afforded these computers because I once had a $68,000 / year job. Then I had 93 weeks of UI at $406 weekly. Plus now I got $1095 SSDI monthly after UI ran out.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:59 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
I disagree.
Laptops are where it's at UNLESS you are a serious gamer. Otherwise Laptop > Desktop.
Not to even mention video cards have come a long way for laptops. There are laptops out there that can easily run the latest games so even that old adage isn't really true anymore.
Laptops don't "break all the time". Rubbish.
Need a dual monitor setup? Open your laptop and connect an external monitor. Voila. Isn't hard.
It's 2010. Time to stop being tied to a desk. I can take my "main" computer to my living room. To the porch. To a friends house. On vacation.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:51 AM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9.3BillionBionicBear View Post
This was just a about 250 ghz
WHERE CAN I GET ONE OF THOSE?!?!?!?!?!!!!

Old 09-03-2010, 02:13 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I disagree.
Laptops are where it's at UNLESS you are a serious gamer. Otherwise Laptop > Desktop.
Not to even mention video cards have come a long way for laptops. There are laptops out there that can easily run the latest games so even that old adage isn't really true anymore.
Laptops don't "break all the time". Rubbish.
Need a dual monitor setup? Open your laptop and connect an external monitor. Voila. Isn't hard.
It's 2010. Time to stop being tied to a desk. I can take my "main" computer to my living room. To the porch. To a friends house. On vacation.
My E1705 sits here and cries, because I have a desktop at the office and one at home, and I hardly use my laptop.
It travels out of town with me from time to time.

My desktop goes to the LR via CAT6 cabling and gigabit switching...

Old 09-03-2010, 02:31 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Dual monitors? How about a 17.3" laptop and a 46" HDTV? I've yet to find a game my lappy doesn't play just fine.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:08 PM

If you're gaming on your laptop - how well does it play Crysis?

Crysis doesn't play well - lower graphics - on an E1705...

Old 09-04-2010, 06:29 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Easy answer - I don't play Crysis.

Edit: I went out and looked at a few videos of the game. I may try it! Amazing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers